Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Haven - dystopian tactical RPG where you lead mercenary company striving for survival

Tigranes

Arcane
R-rated might have the same problem as Adult content in terms of wrong connotations. Mature might be the least worst option, really. Combined with "gritty storytelling" taht's already in the blurb above, I think that's pretty clear.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just wanted to say that "Sneaky like a pedophile in a chatroom" should be removed from the game if you are serious about your game. Sometimes, you need to go back and have an objective look at your own work.
While we're at it, tone down the edginess a bit.

Gameplay itself has potential and I am likely to buy the game.

Last edited:

re.var

Code Three Fifty One
Developer
You've come to the right place, sir.:positive:

Thanks, figured as much :lol:

I just wanted to say that "Sneaky like a pedophile in a chatroom" should be removed from the game if you are serious about your game. Sometimes, you need to go back and have an objective look at your own work.
While we're at it, tone down the edginess a bit.

Gameplay itself has potential and I am likely to buy the game.

We only recorded the unique barks for now, we're going to have generic barks ("Reloading", "Moving", ...) that will play most of the times, and you only get the unique barks once in a while. So the edginess will be heavily toned down.
Regarding the "Sneaky..." bark it's said in a joke scenario, it's not a serious phrase. Obviously it's still offensive to some. Which is why we're going to add a slider to control the profanity and offensive content of the barks.

or... maybe what you are looking for is B-rated

:lol: You're not wrong! The game is heavily inspired in JA2, which itself is essentially one big B-movie.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rated R for Rape (tasteful of course).

Jokes aside, good luck with the game. Had a good time fighting cyberpunk thugs in the demo.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Twitter is immature, so you shouldn't be surprised... just saying. I'm afraid I seem to have missed the demo too, thanks to a couple of other games, and severe lack of time.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried the demo for a bit, got to play the intro mission as well as a skirmish map. The tacticool granularity is the absolute bee's knees. Things are present which have been inexplicably missing from the genre since the days of Silent Storm. I'm almost not upset about the squad size of 4 (but only almost), because aside from that I don't think there's a single thing missing on the tactical level, apart from out-there stuff like destructible terrain. When you consider that this is coming from an indie team that's pretty amazing.

As for the the story and writing... I've chosen not to remember anything besides the tacticool. In any case, this is probably a day 1 purchase. Hoping the campaign manages to tie the missions together well enough so that it works as a complete product rather than just a skirmish simulator.

I feel bad, because things happened and I won't be able to play any more before the demo expires, but anyway, thanks again Zombra, I owe you one.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah this game is really good. I couldn't complete the second mission because I couldn't find the last target, but hot azn waifu Indigo kept getting shot from something underneath of the terrain, so my guess is that the extortionist fell through terrain.

Bugs, glitches, and the occasional UI complaint aside, the tactical combat of this game may very well be a worthwhile successor to Jagged Alliance (sans the destructible terrain). Here is my bullet point list of positive things:

+ Bullet trajectory is fully simulated, so there's none of that weird nuXCOM garbage of shots flying through walls
+ I enjoyed the party banter, which is cheesy in a good way.
+ Despite being a cyberpunk game, there are a lot of cute waifus. I didn't notice any PC bullshit either.
+ It utilises true positional line-of-sight, so where you're facing matters.
+ Uses STATS rather than classes
+ There's a cover system that ACTUALLY WORKS PROPERLY (unlike Phoenix Point's weird "you must crouch" cover system). You can crouch, go prone, peek, etc when behind cover.
+ The kill cam's not that bad actually. It works pretty well with the game's view
+ The maps are yuge (at least going by the second mission). In this day and age where tactical games come with maps smaller than my dick, it's a fresh breath of air to have maps that are 3-4 blocks large.

There isn't much that I didn't like from the demo apart from glitches and stuff, but I do have some things I hope get implemented:
* Strafing like in JA2 and Silent Storm would seriously be a welcome addition (or something like in Battletech where you can determine your facing simultaneously during a move)
* I kept getting my guns knocked out by enemy fire. It's cool at first, but I think I must have gotten them shot off from my characters' hands 5-6 times on the second mission.

Also, ignore the Twatter idiots who slammed your game so far. Yeah I guess you could classify Altan's lines as "misogynistic", but IMO it's just cheeky fun. Most of the vocal crazies on Twatter probably won't even buy your game anyway. If this is what you call "mature storytelling", I would say it's a-ok in my book.

TLDR: So far better than when Phoenix Point was in Early Access.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
We only recorded the unique barks for now, we're going to have generic barks ("Reloading", "Moving", ...) that will play most of the times, and you only get the unique barks once in a while. So the edginess will be heavily toned down.
Regarding the "Sneaky..." bark it's said in a joke scenario, it's not a serious phrase. Obviously it's still offensive to some. Which is why we're going to add a slider to control the profanity and offensive content of the barks.

About the "sneaky as a pedophile in a chatroom", i'm not offended but i find it extremely lame, your game would lose nothing if you got rid of it.
Aren't the characters mercs ?
It doesn't feel like something a real mercenary* would say, it's really nerdy.

*Not talking about your regular 2020 squaddie that only shot at targets and spend half his time playing on his xbox.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Tagging re.var. I really hope strafing gets added! Also, now that I think about it, the UI needs to be restructured. The information is all over the place.

re.var

Code Three Fifty One
Developer
Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback!

* Strafing like in JA2 and Silent Storm would seriously be a welcome addition (or something like in Battletech where you can determine your facing simultaneously during a move)
Tagging re.var. I really hope strafing gets added!
It was in the demo already! Holding SHIFT would allow you to strafe, no way we would go without it, for sure!

Also, now that I think about it, the UI needs to be restructured. The information is all over the place.
Goes in hand with the previous point, UI doesn't yet give you the necessary information about all the game systems. It's something that's on the backlog for when we finish implementing everything. No point in re-doing the UI now and then having to do it again in the future when we inevitably add more stuff to it.

I really hope they bring gay romance options to this game.
It's a linear story, you won't have options in it.

About the "sneaky as a pedophile in a chatroom", i'm not offended but i find it extremely lame, your game would lose nothing if you got rid of it.
Aren't the characters mercs ?
It doesn't feel like something a real mercenary* would say, it's really nerdy.
It's a mercenary group, they all work together, and have been doing so for a while now. The specific character that says that line is the "funny" guy, he's always cracking lame ass jokes and borderline offensive lines like that. Throughout the storyline you learn more about his past and why he's always joking. We tried to make all the characters with plausible backgrounds for how the act they way they do now, including all the relationships between them. Similar to JA2 in that regard.

udm

Arcane
Patron
It was in the demo already! Holding SHIFT would allow you to strafe, no way we would go without it, for sure!

Great stuff! Really glad to hear it's already in and gives me even more confidence in the game, that you have your priorities straightened.

It's a linear story, you won't have options in it.

Don't worry, pretty sure Kruno was just shitposting/trolling. Most people here value mechanics and a good story over romanceable party members unlike some hyper autistic forums that fetishize this crap.

BTW you mentioned linearity. How does the game deal with dead party members?

re.var

Code Three Fifty One
Developer
BTW you mentioned linearity. How does the game deal with dead party members?
No such thing. Mercs taken out of action rejoin the team between missions. There has already been talk about changing the "DEAD" status to a different text flag :)
Yah, on the Demo nothing really happened and they could just join the following mission. For release they will be disabled for the next mission, so you need to go one mission without them.
We'll have an hardcore/ironman mode where they will actually be permanently disabled, so you only have a finite amount of characters to finish the campaign with.

udm

Arcane
Patron
re.var This game is so much incline, it's unreal (heh). Hope you guys sell enough copies and make more games in this vein. A cyberpunk game with Jagged Alliance levels of control (more mercs, more meta gameplay) would be kick ass.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/443190/view/2752215379216408162
July Update
Greetings Steel Dragons!

We have some exciting news to share with you, but first, we would like to thank our followers for your consistent support in this journey. And If you want to join our growing community, be on top of the game’s development progress and give us your invaluable feedback, please follow us on Twitter, where we post images/videos every week, or join us on Discord where you can talk to us any time, and also get to see some sneak peeks and work in progress that we usually don’t share on any other platform.

AI
Now back to the news. In case you missed it, in the last development update we shared some of the improvements we have been doing to the UI and gameplay. Since then, we also have been working heavily on AI. We have a lot of tweakable parameters to make the AI challenging and human-like, so we ended up using machine learning to do its parameterization. Here's a sneak peek!

Your Feedback

And as a lot of you already know, Project Haven was at Steam Game Festival where we finally were able to share our demo with you! And you have been awesome with your support and feedback. Some of the most requested features that we’ve already implemented were:
  • An updated the interrupt cone visibility

• More tooltips and information in the UI.
    cc963200ed2d19494b6fb37d0ca576586bcd0b3a.png

Another top features that were requested that we are still working on are:

• New key binding system
  • Filter for mature language

Gamescom
We are excited to announce that Project Haven was selected by Indie Arena Booth to be part of gamescom 2020. Due to the unfortunate situation our world is in, this year's event will be happening online. As such, from 27th to 30th August, we will have our own multiplayer virtual booth that can be visited by anyone for free through any browser.

For all of you that missed the Steam Games Festival demo we have great news: you will also be able to play our alpha demo (now with a few extras and tooltips!) throughout those days. Please come visit us in our booth! We hope to see you there and we can’t wait to talk to you guys!

Check the trailer to see a sneak preview of the many titles will be there!

And you can also check their official website to see the full list of indie games present.

Thanks for reading, until next time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

One week left for Gamescom, the world’s largest computer and video games event and our virtual booth at Indie Arena Booth opens to all on August 27th! Come visit us and play Project Haven's demo during this event! Looking forward to seeing you all there!
https://indiearenabooth.de/

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last city on earth eh?

How big is this city, and is the rest of the world just an endless wasteland? I hope to get some answers to this :)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Interesting. Something really nasty must have happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom