Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
ib04oymE3m3fjV.gif

LEAVE THE INTERNET THEN YOU FUCKING MANTIS SHIT CUNT

But you won't because you love the Codex. :love:

Bruticis

Man, that next gen PS4 hardware is BAD ASS. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Killzone: Shadow Fall currently delivers a largely 25-30FPS experience with v-sync engaged, where a long overview of the forest tests the hardware most. A strong trace of input lag is felt when turning the analogue sticks - a quirk that hangs over from the Killzone 2 days. It's a delay in response that is impossible to ignore after playing snappier low-latency shooters, and at the default 50 per cent sensitivity for the X and Y axis proved tricky to adapt to. Migrating to the new and more shooter-friendly Dual Shock 4 controller isn't the cause here, as this is the only game we test with such problems. Rather, the issue is likely to be the result of latency being built up over the course of a long and complex rendering pipeline.

With regards to performance, we're surprised to find DriveClub is running at 30fps with permanent v-sync - an unusual step for any modern-day racer putting heavy emphasis on shaving seconds from lap times. It is noted that 60fps is something the team strives for, but no promises can be made; in the interest of providing a smooth E3 experience it remains decidedly locked at 30fps for now.

Alas, even this number isn't held convincingly during our play-testing, and the game dips noticeably below this point - a feeling of 20fps being achieved during doughnut-turns, where lots of tyre friction smoke is produced. Bearing in mind the PS4's next-gen tech (not to mention its 32 ROPs), we're somewhat surprised to see alpha transparency effects still having such an obvious impact on performance.

Certainly, the physics are impressive and technically taxing. All the bits and pieces that whip around Knack indeed feel like individual objects, taking advantage of the game's per-object motion blur. The only problem here is that, despite being a 30fps game in target, we see dramatic frame-rate drops when too many of these pieces go zooming across the screen to form a shell around Knack. To achieve this bullet-point trick, the performance has to take a noticeable hit in the current build.
When it comes to the state of software development on PS4, the situation as it stands is surprising. On the one hand, freely playable first-party titles such as Knack and DriveClub suffer from noticeable frame-rate stutters down from 30fps, while on the other, "hands off" demos for the new Infamous and Assassin's Creed games appear to run without a perceptible hitch. This is in stark contrast to the playable software confirmed to be running direct from Xbox One hardware, such as Forza Motorsport 5 and Killer Instinct, which benefit to no end for targeting the 1080p60 gold standard, and largely succeed in doing so.

Bruticis

I stole this from Ed123 on neogaf, it's all the negatives summed up for your enjoyment.
Killzone

When it comes to the tricky issue of control and response, Killzone: Shadow Fall currently delivers a largely 25-30FPS experience with v-sync engaged, where a long overview of the forest tests the hardware most. A strong trace of input lag is felt when turning the analogue sticks - a quirk that hangs over from the Killzone 2 days. It's a delay in response that is impossible to ignore after playing snappier low-latency shooters, and at the default 50 per cent sensitivity for the X and Y axis proved tricky to adapt to. Migrating to the new and more shooter-friendly Dual Shock 4 controller isn't the cause here, as this is the only game we test with such problems. Rather, the issue is likely to be the result of latency being built up over the course of a long and complex rendering pipeline.

DriveClub

When questioned, Evolution Studios confirms that it's pushed for a full-fat 1080p presentation, falling in line with all Sony's other leading PS4 titles. Unfortunately, this higher resolution only amplifies the low quality, blurry, flat-looking textures used across this level, which would easily look at home on current-gen hardware. It's also a shame that, while the scenery draw distance is broad, there's an incredible amount of pop-in for trees and waving NPCs as we approach at high speeds...With regards to performance, we're surprised to find DriveClub is running at 30fps with permanent v-sync - an unusual step for any modern-day racer putting heavy emphasis on shaving seconds from lap times. It is noted that 60fps is something the team strives for, but no promises can be made; in the interest of providing a smooth E3 experience it remains decidedly locked at 30fps for now. Alas, even this number isn't held convincingly during our play-testing, and the game dips noticeably below this point - a feeling of 20fps being achieved during doughnut-turns, where lots of tyre friction smoke is produced. Bearing in mind the PS4's next-gen tech (not to mention its 32 ROPs), we're somewhat surprised to see alpha transparency effects still having such an obvious impact on performance.

Knack

That's the next-gen hook, but little else is in place to enthrall. The Pixar aesthetic is let down by some muddy image quality, and heavily dithered shadows. We're promised 1080p native resolution here, but Knack doesn't look as crystal clear as we'd expect from such a pixel count - perhaps in part owing to the HDTV settings being used at the exhibition. It's a real disappointment on the grounds of image quality, and while the transparency effect on Knack and the big, beautiful ocean view during the first stage are visual treats, there isn't a whole lot to the rest of stages shown. Certainly, the physics are impressive and technically taxing. All the bits and pieces that whip around Knack indeed feel like individual objects, taking advantage of the game's per-object motion blur. The only problem here is that, despite being a 30fps game in target, we see dramatic frame-rate drops when too many of these pieces go zooming across the screen to form a shell around Knack. To achieve this bullet-point trick, the performance has to take a noticeable hit in the current build. Excluding this effect, the frame-rate isn't smooth for the current built in general, and it stutters even as Knack trots through empty streets unengaged. There's no evidence of tearing, but this choppy motion is surprising given its overtly simplistic visual style. Fortunately it evens out during the later interior stages based around the mansion and cave, but some optimisation is still clearly needed on the game before the PS4's launch.

Thief

When it comes to performance, the game is v-synced, but very jittery in the frame-rate stakes for transitions into new areas, and throughout an entire sequence where a bridge burns to cinders. It also appears to run at native 1080p, though there's little being achieved here visually which we haven't already seen before, likely showing its prior development history on weaker platforms. That is, with the exception of its impeccable lighting - a striking feature as lamp-light streams through the city's fogged archways, and one which feeds into a gameplay design predicated on hiding in shadows. A curious trend among other next-gen game we've seen - such as Killer Instinct - is the decision to ramp up the particle count to dazzling degrees for explosions. That's true here, where lighting on particles is truly striking as flaming debris crumbles down from a bridge during one later segment. It's only a shame that surrounding texture-work and alpha effects appear so mismatched with these more "next-gen" elements in this current build, and we hope to see everything ramped up to an even level for the final release.

Conclusion

We leave Sony's E3 booth undoubtedly impressed, with two key takeaways in light of the Xbox One's rivalling offerings. Firstly, though almost all launch titles on show appear to be running directly from PS4 hardware, it's a touch disappointing to discover the likes of Thief and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag are only currently being demonstrated by proxy of an on-hand developer. This was a very closely guarded event indeed, suggesting a lack of confidence in the progress of development for some of these titles. Even so, Knack, DriveClub and Warframe do give us absolute, no-holds barred freedom to toy with the most current builds as long as we please...When it comes to the state of software development on PS4, the situation as it stands is surprising. On the one hand, freely playable first-party titles such as Knack and DriveClub suffer from noticeable frame-rate stutters down from 30fps, while on the other, "hands off" demos for the new Infamous and Assassin's Creed games appear to run without a perceptible hitch. This is in stark contrast to the playable software confirmed to be running direct from Xbox One hardware, such as Forza Motorsport 5 and Killer Instinct, which benefit to no end for targeting the 1080p60 gold standard, and largely succeed in doing so.

Such a disparity in performance is far from the outcome we had expected going in to E3, but Sony's agenda with this initial wave of games is clearly hinging on visual fireworks rather than maximising frame-rates to the full 60Hz refresh.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Can't wait till these pseudo-pcs get released and consoletards get to see how the games actually look in practice. The butthurt will be so, so sweet.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I might buy it myself just for fighting games like Tekken or Soul Calibur (unless they're released for PC as well - then a controller is enough), but then again I'd rather spend the money on a better PC.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't wait till these pseudo-pcs get released and consoletards get to see how the games actually look in practice. The butthurt will be so, so sweet.
They will be satisfied, because the games look good if you are not like Skyway.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

It's all about expectations, my dear Matt. Most of the E3 presentations wanted to create the impression of real-time CGI-like graphics, and we both know it's not going to be like that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So basically PS4 is a slowass shit and HSA doesn't rape even yesteryear's PCs?

WHO WOULD'VE FORESEEN THIS EVERY TIME THEY HYPE NEXT GEN OF CONSOLES?!?!?

J_C said:

J_C: IT WILL RUN FASTER!!1!
Reality: no it won't
J_C: But... but..... YOU ARE JUST A GRAPHICS WHORE!11 25 FPS NO AA NO AF ENOUGH

Xi

Arcane

It's all about expectations, my dear Matt. Most of the E3 presentations wanted to create the impression of real-time CGI-like graphics, and we both know it's not going to be like that.

I'm not so sure it won't this go around. Those highly optimized PS3 games are looking fantastic on shitty hardware. Imagine what they will do with a device that is tend fold as powerful? (probably more) CGI graphics won't happen (mostly) due to cost/budgets for most titles. However, there will be a few games that push graphics further than we've seen in this last generation.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Good God guys. I don't own, and never have owned, an XBox. :lol:

I played a bit of Tiger Woods 2003 or whatever on the original XBox and that's about my experience with it.

Notice how he doesn't mention XBox 360. :smug:

Achilles

Arcane
The only acceptable console purchase for a codexer is a Steambox, in a "my first PC" kind of way.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Good God guys. I don't own, and never have owned, an XBox. :lol:

I played a bit of Tiger Woods 2003 or whatever on the original XBox and that's about my experience with it.

Notice how he doesn't mention XBox 360. :smug:
Nice try. I don't think I've even seen a 360 irl, tbh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom