Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I like the part where he says "so the concern is one day servers shut down or you get banned and all these games are unplayable. Fair enough, but..."

Let's just toss that concern aside like it means nothing.
The servers won't get shut down. It's the benefit of the cloud. There are no physical dedicated servers that need to be repurposed or shut down.

Dexter

Arcane
1371681657290qcphv.png

1371682043743gvr0z.png

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
M$ could still offer everything they advertised orriginally without any online DRM. DRM is not required for that shit to function at all. The xbone might actually be "underselling its value" in that case.

EDIT: Gizmodo douche is clickbaiting. Gaimz jurnlizt gonna gaimz jurnlizt.

Kirtai

Augur

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
The servers won't get shut down. It's the benefit of the cloud. There are no physical dedicated servers that need to be repurposed or shut down.

So what does it run on, magic pixie dust?
The cloud. The cloud will not shut down, unless MS magically goes under. Dedicated servers to games that aren't being played anymore is completely different and will naturally get shut down - it's the entire reason the console generation was stuck with P2P.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
M$ could still offer everything they advertised orriginally without any online DRM. DRM is not required for that shit to function at all. The xbone might actually be "underselling its value" in that case.

They'll never do digital stuff without DRM on a platform which relies on teens and college kids as it's backbone. Right or wrong, stupid or not, they see that as a death sentence.

Kirtai

Augur
I sometimes seriously wonder if people actually think "the cloud" is something that doesn't need to be instantiated in physical hardware but is instead some kind of magic.
So you're saying Azure will shut down at the end of the console generation? Fuck man, just think a bit.

No, I'm saying that even virtual servers in the cloud take up physical resources. Which is ultimately limited. Having them on Azure doesn't mean they won't get shut down when they stop being cost effective.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
I sometimes seriously wonder if people actually think "the cloud" is something that doesn't need to be instantiated in physical hardware but is instead some kind of magic.
So you're saying Azure will shut down at the end of the console generation? Fuck man, just think a bit.

No, I'm saying that even virtual servers in the cloud take up physical resources. Which is ultimately limited. Having them on Azure doesn't mean they won't get shut down when they stop being cost effective.
They'll just spin up when there is demand. Older games will naturally have less demand (both in number of connections and bandwidth) and newer hardware on the cloud will deal with it even easier than before - keeping Moore's law in mind and so on. There is no effective reasoning to stop the ability of the cloud to provide a virtual dedicated server for a decade old game on the fly, when required. Unless your end reasoning is "fuck the consumer," which admittedly some people seem to think is the ideologue of most corporations.

The cloud. The cloud will not shut down, unless MS magically goes under. Dedicated servers to games that aren't being played anymore is completely different and will naturally get shut down - it's the entire reason the console generation was stuck with P2P.

Fuck, I was being sarcastic. Are you seriously this fucking dumb?

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
They'll just spin up when there is demand. Older games will naturally have less demand (both in number of connections and bandwidth) and newer hardware on the cloud will deal with it even easier than before - keeping Moore's law in mind and so in. There is no effective reasoning to stop the ability of the cloud to provide a virtual dedicated server for a decade old game on the fly, when required. Unless your end reasoning is "fuck the consumer," which obviously some people seem to think is the ideologue of most corporations.

You underestimate the lengths corporate executives will go to chase a penny. I have seen many multi-billion dollar corporations fall apart because they tried to save a nickel now at the cost of a dollar later.

The only thing that interests me in all of this is if the masses will eat it up. Can't wait to see how the next gen popamole launches and how deep the DRM goes.

Not that it will be on the Orwellian scale that everyone keeps crying about though. That will come later, if this succeeds. But yeah, games looks shit, hardware/benchmarks are all laughable and consuls gonna consul. The only thing that remains is the sales numbers.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron

Fuck, I was being sarcastic. Are you seriously this fucking dumb?
No, but you clearly are.

Dexter

Arcane
Don't argue with IDtenT , he'll just beat you with stupidity. xD
He already admitted he was trolling anyway saying it's "all in the name" (ID10T)

You just need to look at EAs server shutdown list and it paints a pretty clear picture :P
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
Or the dozens or so of failed MMORPGs that are forever silenced or only live on in server emulation projects.

Black

Arcane
Don't argue with IDtenT , he'll just beat you with stupidity. xD
He already admitted he was trolling anyway saying it's "all in the name" (ID10T)

You just need to look at EAs server shutdown list and it paints a pretty clear picture :P
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
Or the dozens or so of failed MMORPGs that are forever silenced or only live on in server emulation projects.
Did you just fucking use "xD"?

Kirtai

Augur
They'll just spin up when there is demand. Older games will naturally have less demand (both in number of connections and bandwidth) and newer hardware on the cloud will deal with it even easier than before - keeping Moore's law in mind and so in. There is no effective reasoning to stop the ability of the cloud to provide a virtual dedicated server for a decade old game on the fly, when required. Unless your end reasoning is "fuck the consumer," which admittedly some people seem to think is the ideologue of most corporations.

Keeping the old servers available costs money in the form of physical resources, administration, maintenance. It's not a case of start them up and that's you done. Even with magic cloud technology.

And corporations are notorious for being cheap in the short term.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I can imagine the same people that cried that they would never buy a Xbone, now are making videos and forum posts as : I knew it Microsoft, you would never abbadon me, you and me are together for 10 years, I always loved you, you are the only one! This japanese whore was just my weakness, please nourish me again with Doritos and Dew!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom