Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Of course that is what will happen.

After all, look at how many people remember Sony kept your credit card information on their servers without any encryption?

Bruticis

Good thing nobody on the kodex gives a shit about these here fancy console thingamabobs.

Of course that is what will happen.

After all, look at how many people remember Sony kept your credit card information on their servers without any encryption?

To be fair, that's just stupidity at work, not malice.

If you want to remember Sony being bad remember their ability to alter the deal ex post facto, Darth Vader-style.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
You just need to look at EAs server shutdown list and it paints a pretty clear picture :P
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
Or the dozens or so of failed MMORPGs that are forever silenced or only live on in server emulation projects.

Afaik, none of those are hosted on a cloud (I could be wrong) - rather they are actual physical servers that are getting shutdown/repurposed.

Keeping the old servers available costs money in the form of physical resources, administration, maintenance. It's not a case of start them up and that's you done. Even with magic cloud technology.
But the old severs never existed (since they were virtual). The physical servers that will get used already exist, are being maintained and are online because they exist as part of the local cloud for people to play a newer game on (or upload a Word document). The cloud is already built with redundancy in mind. I really do not foresee a situation where a game is disconnected from the cloud, especially given that an aged game will enforce less and less stress.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
BNJr_uKCEAAG2XG.jpg

3uwz1t.jpg

OammA8h.png

You just need to look at EAs server shutdown list and it paints a pretty clear picture :P
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
Or the dozens or so of failed MMORPGs that are forever silenced or only live on in server emulation projects.

Afaik, none of those are hosted on a cloud

So now we've reached the "no true scotsman" point of the debate.

Should I also point out that Microsoft shut off online support for EVERY Xbox 1 game only 8 years after it's release? You know, the service that people were PAYING microsoft monthly to use?

Wait, so Angry Joe was actually employing professional-like journalist skills and asking why Microsoft was so shit?

That might make him the most trusted voice in video games. This is terrifying to me.

Whiner

Augur
Sony really screw themselves :D
If the new Xbawk and Playstation had DRM,the consoletards would just say "This is bad,but it's the future and I want to play CoD so whatever" and the greedy gaming companies would win everything.
But everyone jump on bandwagon after Sony and here is the result.The retards from Sony get almost nothing from this now.
The moral of the story - rule your console peasants with an iron fist and team up with your enemy to milk them even more in the future.
Oh well, maybe next "generation" :hero:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Going digital-only is okay if you are a privately held company that survives on the basis of creating value for consumers.

Going digital-only is not good for a corporation that only cares about creating shareholder value.
Utter bull. Both are driven by profit. I don't trust Zenimax any more than I trust EA.

I was refering here to Valve. Yes, they are driven by profits too, but they turn these into something useful.

Xi

Arcane
Suddenly, all the negative press becomes positive for MS. That's the shitty part. Simply, all the focus on it, and now that they changed there minds, makes it win-win for them. Shitty but true. Still, the more powerful of the two is more appealing.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm sad MS reversed course. Now it will just be a bad console instead of a hilarious non-stop trainwreck.

I've got to ask though: If not for the rumor, when would we have found out about the DRM? The didn't mention it during the reveal and only confirmed it when directly asked.

Data4

Arcane
In fact, here's one of those cockgobblers now.

Regardless of why you caved, you did cave, and now those major deal breakers are gone: the DRM and the 24 hour connection check. You've restored my faith in your company, so now you get to earn my business again. I can now buy an Xbox One with a clear conscience, and I'll preorder one when GameStop allows preordering again

Whiner

Augur
But everyone jump on bandwagon after Sony and here is the result.The retards from Sony get almost nothing from this now.

What? :lol:
Wut?
Now everyone will buy both,it will be copy-paste of this generation.BORING.I want DRAMA.
Microshit is so bad,that they even kill the fun of mocking them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom