Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'd argue that making a shit XBO --> PC port is pretty much impossible. The XBO, after all, is pretty much a PC. It even runs DX11 natively.
There's a big difference between a decent port and a 100% clone, look at Dark Souls. The game is identical with the console version (even better with the fan fixes) and it's still far away from being a decent port.

Read my post again. And lol @Japanese PC dev skills.

Athelas

Arcane
Hilariously enough, the shittily ported Dark Souls actually recognizes my cheap-ass controller with no configurating necessarily (and even the vibration works), unlike other games, which require the Xbox360 controller (for which I'm not willing to shell out 30 euro's).

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah, I use that on the rare occasion I play a modern game with a controller. Still, the Dark Souls bit was a funny surprise to me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Strangely enough, my Dark Souls didn'T work with my controller out of the box, I had to use X360ce

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1398426_667159279991495_1430755408_o.jpg

Shit, that looks like a 4:3 led TV :lol:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hilariously enough, the shittily ported Dark Souls actually recognizes my cheap-ass controller with no configurating necessarily (and even the vibration works), unlike other games, which require the Xbox360 controller (for which I'm not willing to shell out 30 euro's).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104402

Cheaper, sturdier, more comfortable, an actual high-quality directional pad, can switch between XInput and DirectInput for both old and new game support. Only problem is lack of rumble. The F510 has rumble but for some reason they discontinued that one and now it's hard to find.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Cheaper, sturdier, more comfortable, an actual high-quality directional pad, can switch between XInput and DirectInput for both old and new game support. Only problem is lack of rumble. The F510 has rumble but for some reason they discontinued that one and now it's hard to find.

That d-pad looks exactly the same as the 360 controller's shitty d-pad. Also, the face buttons look the same as the 360 controller's shitty face buttons. Lack of rumble doesn't bother me though, I almost always turn it off anyway, since it tends to make my hands ache after a while.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That d-pad looks exactly the same as the 360 controller's shitty d-pad. Also, the face buttons look the same as the 360 controller's shitty face buttons. Lack of rumble doesn't bother me though, I almost always turn it off anyway, since it tends to make my hands ache after a while.
The D-pad is way better. It's larger, clickier and doesn't get confused what direction you're pressing (especially diagonals). Feels so much nicer for 2D games and is much more comfortably placed too.

The analogue sticks are a bit stiffer than the 360's, which even after a year of my relatively limited use got worn out and floppy. My Logitech's are still going strong and feel like brand-new.

The face buttons are flatter than the 360's and thus much more comfortable to press than the 360's "eggshell" shape.

The biggest "problem" is the kinda mushy shoulder buttons, but even still they're very similar to the PS3 controller's, so that's more a matter of preference. I guess the shape of the hand-holds is also a bit fatter, but again, that's down to it being basically a PS3-360 hybrid controller - some of it just comes down to what one is used to or likes But, I feel that in terms of overall design and build quality it is objectively superior to the 360 controller in several ways.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Read my post again. And lol @Japanese PC dev skills.
What do their skills have to do with the publisher decision to not give two fucks and do the most basic port, which is exactly the same as your suggested "autoports" from XBO.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I was very dissapointed in the F510. I used (and use it to this day) a Logitech Rumblepad 2, which is the predecessor of the F310-510. They look almost the same, same setup etc. But to my biggest dissapointment, the F510 has a huge deadzone compared to the Rumblepad 2. And it is on the hardvare side, so you can't change it in the logitech or any software. Of course you can get used to the big deadzone, but after the Rumblepad, I don't want to. That pad is perfect. So I keep the brand new F510 in the drawer, and use my decade old Rumblepad 2 ever since.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I was very dissapointed in the F510. I used (and use it to this day) a Logitech Rumblepad 2, which is the predecessor of the F310-510. They look almost the same, same setup etc. But to my biggest dissapointment, the F510 has a huge deadzone compared to the Rumblepad 2. And it is on the hardvare side, so you can't change it in the logitech or any software. Of course you can get used to the big deadzone, but after the Rumblepad, I don't want to. That pad is perfect. So I keep the brand new F510 in the drawer, and use my decade old Rumblepad 2 ever since.
Fair enough, I have no problems with the dead-zone. I haven't used the Rumblepad 2 at all.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

What sort of dead-zone you are talking of? I bought my F510 less than half a year ago and it has suited me perfectly for my needs of gaming on pad.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

What sort of dead-zone you are talking of? I bought my F510 less than half a year ago and it has suited me perfectly for my needs of gaming on pad.
When you push the stick in a direction, and there is a zone where the character onscreen doesn't react to it, doesn't move. You can't see this in the control panel calibration screen, just ingame. It is not a hardware defect, it is just a different calibration, which is strange for me after the Rumblepad 2 which almost has no deadzone. The F510 has bigger, and I don't like that.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
When you push the stick in a direction, and there is a zone where the character onscreen doesn't react to it, doesn't move. You can't see this in the control panel calibration screen, just ingame. It is not a hardware defect, it is just a different calibration, which is strange for me after the Rumblepad 2 which almost has no deadzone. The F510 has bigger, and I don't like that.

I tried it out and now see what you mean, even though the difference seems rather insignificant to a point that I'd have not noticed without specifically looking for it. Now it probably haunts me forever after. :|

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

I tried it out and now see what you mean, even though the difference seems rather insignificant to a point that I'd have not noticed without specifically looking for it. Now it probably haunts me forever after. :|
Which is seen, cannot be unseen. But yeah, if you are not looking for it specifically, you mayba don't even notice it. I also only noticed it because I tried it right after using my other pad.

TedNugent

Arcane
I haven't decided anything so far but I believe that the combination of Kinect 2 (if it works now as intended) and a VR goggle (like the Oculus Rift for example) would be the Next Gen innovation for gameplay that everyone is expecting. The combination of Motion Tracker and VR goggle allows for example to push "real" buttons in a Cockpit Shooter. I really want this to happen. Therefore I think I will stick to the Xbone! ;)
Highly unlikely
Next thing will be pop up window showing before you can play game, and asking you about ordering Mtn. Dew and Dorritos.
Likely
And you will still have idiots defending it, because "you can just leave the room" (inb4 Kinect checking that you are watching the screen before lanching the ad, though) or "ads don't affect them anyway, so who cares about watching them" and "leave poor publishers alone, they just want to make some money and this will totally help them make better corridor shooters games".
Highly likely

I'm not buying a console next generation because this generation I bought a Playstation 3 (back in 2007 for $600). The games were in large part decline, and I will say without a doubt or qualifier that Sony is the superior first party publisher compared to Microsoft. They make software like Shadow of the Colossus and Little Big Planet, stuff that's actually original and interesting, although this is tainted by a thorough smattering of the mundane and repeat such as SOCOM (generic military TPS) and Resistance (generic sci-fi FPS with cool weapons).

Microsoft getting a console market share greater than 50% signals the death of the industry. Their clear goals are monetization through digitizing services such as internet gaming, DLC, and Kinect workout videos.

But fortunately seeing as neither console has a single piece of software worth a shit that isn't a generic FPS available on the PC, no one here with a brain needs to go out and make a commitment.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Should I start thinking about buying my PS4 yet? I've stayed out of its loop purposefully: I wanted to wait for the hype to die down a little bit and I was hoping for any technical bugs @ launch to have been worked out by now.

Is Driveclub on its way? Are there any other PS4 games worth the price of admission yet?

Humanity has risen!

Edit: Nevermind, answered my own question. Looks like Driveclub comes out in March, so I'll be waiting until then.

racofer

Thread Incliner
PS4's only appeal to me is its racing games. Not that I would ever consider buying one solely for that.

However, I have recently tried out Assetto Corsa and now I remember why PCs are so gut.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Should I start thinking about buying my PS4 yet? I've stayed out of its loop purposefully: I wanted to wait for the hype to die down a little bit and I was hoping for any technical bugs @ launch to have been worked out by now.

Is Driveclub on its way? Are there any other PS4 games worth the price of admission yet?

Humanity has risen!

Edit: Nevermind, answered my own question. Looks like Driveclub comes out in March, so I'll be waiting until then.
Several games are on the way, but wait until they are released.

Repressed Homosexual
Yeah wait until March, and preferably by it at Costco for the warranty. They might have a bundle too.

For now there's nothing worth playing, Xbox One is slightly better but still passable, though it's the same thing at every launch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom