Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
According to a leaked copy of the full legal agreement behind the promotion, video creators "may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its Games" and must keep the details of the promotional agreement confidential in order to qualify for payment. In other words, to get the money, video makers have to speak positively (or at least neutrally) about the Xbox One, and they can't say they're being paid to do so.

Isnt this shit illegal?

What would make it illegal? NDA's are the standard, and it's not like they're being forced in to an Xbox propaganda contract.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The report has said the agreement might go against FTC guidelines for endorsements in advertising, which must disclose "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement".
Maybe you guys should read the entire article.

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...080p-60-fps-on-ps4-xbox-one-still-a-question/
If anyone has read my writing on Xbox One vs. PS4 tech recently, you know that this is the part when I say I don’t care. I’m often called an Xbox One apologist because I don’t value large numbers as much as other people. I want to be clear that that isn’t what I’m saying here — I prefer that my console have sufficient power to allow developers free rein with aesthetic choices — but the idea that 60 FPS is automatically better is misguided.

“Anything running above that is just gravy.”

That’s just the wrong way of looking at your in game visuals. Even though this is the world of tech and we always like numbers to be bigger, frame rate should be a choice, not a constant upward movement. Lower frame rates can help a game achieve a deeper, more cinematic effect, and for games that rely on visual more than twitch controls, this is sometimes the right choice.

Some of the comments are even better:
Enter Your Also, the game does not benefit from anything faster. It is a very slow movie game. 38-40fps would be ideal for a game like this. Now, if it were COD, I would say 60fps and 30fps is a distinct difference…which is why the developers opted for lower resolution in COD, for the Xbox.

Frame rate above 15 FPS is usually not able to be seen by the human eye as long as it is Non interlaced. There are times that a thrown football with an Interlaced monitor can seem to zig zag at 15 FPS. At 30 FPS interlaced, this effect is invisible. And this would be 30 FPS NON interlaced, so there would be to way to detect the differences with the Human eye. PERIOD. To say “Anything running above that is just gravy.” is totally misleading. In reality, it would be more accurate to say “Anything running above that is a total waste of processing power and bandwidth.” AND worse yet, if any of the connections of playing partners are slow, then you introduce a much higher risk of LAG with the higher frame rate.
I can give NO performance points to the PS4 on this because the discussion is irrelevant. It Does not increase the game experience what-so-ever.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ube-video-creators-for-xbox-one-coverage.html
Microsoft is paying YouTube video creators for Xbox One coverage, according to a report.

A new scheme by Machinima has offered its video partners an additional $3 per thousand video views for featuring Xbox One content, according to Ars Technica.

Videos must contain at least 30 seconds of Xbox One game footage, a mention of the console by name, and tag 'XB1M13' to qualify.

A leaked agreement has also mentioned that video partners "may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its games", and must keep the agreement confidential.

The report has said the agreement might go against FTC guidelines for endorsements in advertising, which must disclose "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement".
:retarded:

The worst thing I can even say is "well at least we know it's official now."

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...080p-60-fps-on-ps4-xbox-one-still-a-question/
If anyone has read my writing on Xbox One vs. PS4 tech recently, you know that this is the part when I say I don’t care. I’m often called an Xbox One apologist because I don’t value large numbers as much as other people. I want to be clear that that isn’t what I’m saying here — I prefer that my console have sufficient power to allow developers free rein with aesthetic choices — but the idea that 60 FPS is automatically better is misguided.

“Anything running above that is just gravy.”

That’s just the wrong way of looking at your in game visuals. Even though this is the world of tech and we always like numbers to be bigger, frame rate should be a choice, not a constant upward movement. Lower frame rates can help a game achieve a deeper, more cinematic effect, and for games that rely on visual more than twitch controls, this is sometimes the right choice.

Some of the comments are even better:
Enter Your Also, the game does not benefit from anything faster. It is a very slow movie game. 38-40fps would be ideal for a game like this. Now, if it were COD, I would say 60fps and 30fps is a distinct difference…which is why the developers opted for lower resolution in COD, for the Xbox.

Frame rate above 15 FPS is usually not able to be seen by the human eye as long as it is Non interlaced. There are times that a thrown football with an Interlaced monitor can seem to zig zag at 15 FPS. At 30 FPS interlaced, this effect is invisible. And this would be 30 FPS NON interlaced, so there would be to way to detect the differences with the Human eye. PERIOD. To say “Anything running above that is just gravy.” is totally misleading. In reality, it would be more accurate to say “Anything running above that is a total waste of processing power and bandwidth.” AND worse yet, if any of the connections of playing partners are slow, then you introduce a much higher risk of LAG with the higher frame rate.
I can give NO performance points to the PS4 on this because the discussion is irrelevant. It Does not increase the game experience what-so-ever.
:what:

There are times that a thrown football with an Interlaced monitor can seem to zig zag at 15 FPS. At 30 FPS interlaced, this effect is invisible. And this would be 30 FPS NON interlaced, so there would be to way to detect the differences with the Human eye. PERIOD
How retarded you have to be, to say something like this?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Frame rate above 15 FPS is usually not able to be seen by the human eye

gaSuQfb.gif

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath

Thanks for sharing that - I believe that is by far the most retarded thing I've read this week! I am aware that Forbes doesn't really control the content their bloggers post, but it's still a disgrace that the name of a prestigious gaming site like Forbes is associated with a complete fucking moron like this guy. :retarded:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
30 FPS, depending on the game, is not an issue, of course. But the thing is, in any action game, 60 FPS is still way better. If you have 30 FPS in a supposedly fast paced game, you are losing in precision and gaining in awknardness.

But the pure, cold blooded fact is this : 30 FPS should only be okay for games that do not rely on fast reflexes and movement. Putting a game in 30 FPS is admitting officially "We couldn't get it running decently on this hardware.". And does it happen with slow paced games on the XONE/PS4 ? No, it pretty much happens to Battlefield, Dead Rising, just about every fucking thing. It means only one thing : those machines are already underpowered. It is disastrous, as a sign of things to come.

Repressed Homosexual
This is such BS, Xbox fanboys were the ones gloating as being as annoying as possible when PS3 ports were inferior, and now that the situation is even worse they go about BS like "it's not all about resolution/framerate".

TedNugent

Arcane
Regarding the paid Xbox One coverage shenanigans, this Youtuber states that this is commonplace across the board for so-called "multi-channel partnerships" for people to get paid by providers.

And keep in mind this is the guy who was visited in person by the Xbox One community manager Larry Hryb/Major Nelson and given a free Xbox

TedNugent

Arcane
Sure enough, EA was paying Youtubers to promote BF4.

ea-640x601.png

http://bf4central.com/2014/01/youtube-producers-ea-broke-ftc-rules-battlefield-4-promotion/

H.L. Mencken said:
[T]he advertising bill of the American
people is greater than that of all other peoples taken together. There is scarcely an article within the range of
their desires that does not carry a heavy load of advertising; they actually pay out millions every year to be
sold such commonplace necessities as sugar, towels, collars, lead-pencils and corn-meal. The business of thus
bamboozling them and picking their pockets enlists thousands and thousands of artists, writers, printers,
sign-painters and other such parasites. Their towns are bedaubed with chromatic eye-sores and made hideous
with flashing lights; their countryside is polluted; their newspapers and magazines become mere advertising
sheets; idiotic slogans and apothegms are invented to enchant them; in some cities they are actually taxed to
advertise the local makers of wooden nutmegs. Multitudes of swindlers are naturally induced to adopt
advertising as a trade, and some of them make great fortunes at it. Like all other men who live by their wits,
they regard themselves as superior fellows, and every year they hold great conventions, bore each other with
learned papers upon the psychology of their victims, speak of one another as men of genius, have themselves
photographed by the photographers of newspapers eager to curry favour with them, denounce the government
for not spending the public funds for advertising, and summon United States Senators, eminent chautauquans
and distinguished vaudeville stars to entertain them. For all this the plain people pay the bill, and never a
protest comes out of them.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
I approve of this shitty company acquiring the rights to this shitty franchise to produce more shitty games.

deuxhero

Arcane
I know funny isn't it? And yet the industry keeps sucking up to this useless joker.

Oh, but Patcher is great analyst: As soon as you realize he is nearly always wrong, you have an analyst who is nearly always right!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom