Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2271540/ps4_xbox_one_held_back_by_lastgen.html
Sniper Elite 3 head of art Chris Payton talks about the difficulty of developing a cross-generational game and says the the Xbox One and PS4 are held back by the Xbox 360 and PS3.

:M
download_zps5a22407c.jpg

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-internet-yahoo
Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal.

GCHQ files dating between 2008 and 2010 explicitly state that a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.
In one six-month period in 2008 alone, the agency collected webcam imagery – including substantial quantities of sexually explicit communications – from more than 1.8 million Yahoo user accounts globally.

Yahoo reacted furiously to the webcam interception when approached by the Guardian. The company denied any prior knowledge of the program, accusing the agencies of "a whole new level of violation of our users' privacy".

[...]

The system, eerily reminiscent of the telescreens evoked in George Orwell's 1984, was used for experiments in automated facial recognition, to monitor GCHQ's existing targets, and to discover new targets of interest. Such searches could be used to try to find terror suspects or criminals making use of multiple, anonymous user IDs.
NSA-ragout-1-001.jpg

[...]

While the documents do not detail efforts as widescale as those against Yahoo users, one presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.

http://www.ibtimes.com/end-xbox-nok...given-control-games-devices-microsoft-1558318

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/26/5451012/sony-closing-majority-of-us-retail-stores-by-end-2014
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/28/struggling-sony-plans-sale-of-old-tokyo-headquarters/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-26-god-of-war-developer-sony-santa-monica-suffers-layoffs

Last edited:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-internet-yahoo
Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal.

GCHQ files dating between 2008 and 2010 explicitly state that a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.
In one six-month period in 2008 alone, the agency collected webcam imagery – including substantial quantities of sexually explicit communications – from more than 1.8 million Yahoo user accounts globally.

Yahoo reacted furiously to the webcam interception when approached by the Guardian. The company denied any prior knowledge of the program, accusing the agencies of "a whole new level of violation of our users' privacy".

[...]

The system, eerily reminiscent of the telescreens evoked in George Orwell's 1984, was used for experiments in automated facial recognition, to monitor GCHQ's existing targets, and to discover new targets of interest. Such searches could be used to try to find terror suspects or criminals making use of multiple, anonymous user IDs.
NSA-ragout-1-001.jpg

[...]

While the documents do not detail efforts as widescale as those against Yahoo users, one presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.

http://www.ibtimes.com/end-xbox-nok...given-control-games-devices-microsoft-1558318

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/26/5451012/sony-closing-majority-of-us-retail-stores-by-end-2014
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-26-god-of-war-developer-sony-santa-monica-suffers-layoffs
I now want so see those losers that were crowing about "Kinect isn't going to spy on you, you dumb redneck." around the time when the Kinect was mandatory for the Xbone's operation.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If microsoft can see those images, NSA and other spy agencies can also see them. If spy agencies can see them, then hackers who manage to get these images can also see them.

Question: is Xbone banned from military bases?

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
I was going to buy an Xbox 1 but there weren't any in stock at Xmas. I thought it looked pretty cool with all the swiping and futuristic, talking to the tv crap. My bf got one last week, so i was excited. What a piece of shit. We both laughed as it shamelessly begged for money like an obnoxious tramp. It lagged, it stuttered, it failed to swipe, it failed to recognise voice commands. It was like having gran round for tea. So, we let it sleep on the floor for the night, gave it a cup of tea and sent it back to the old folks home.

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter

TedNugent

Arcane

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
My bf got one last week, so i was excited.

What attracts a female to the codex?

It's full of dicks.

Well, there's that. Mostly though it's because i play rpgs, i hate neogaf, /v/ is just a circle jerk for college tryhards, don't have a facebook, Something Awful wants money, Facepunch is a shittier version of reddit, i don't like reddit, the only forums i go to are the Rogan Board and Jesus Loves Doug Stanhope. They don't really give a fuck about gaming.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
In other news:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/27/nintendo-terminating-wi-fi-service-for-ds-and-wii

Update: A Nintendo has confirmed via its website that this is a "global termination" of online services that will take place for all regions on May 20.

Original story: Nintendo confirmed today in an Australian press release that it will be discontinuing its wi-fi connection services for the DS/DSi and Wii.

As of May 20, it will no longer be possible to use online features such as online play, matchmaking, and leaderboards on the specified platforms. The news comes viaNintendo's Australian site; we've yet to find out whether this change affects only Australians or is planned for implementation worldwide.

Numerous games will lose their online functionalities, including titles such as Mario Kart Wii, Pokemon Battle Revolution, and Animal Crossing: Wild World. For the full list of Nintendo-published games affected, see the list on Nintendo's support site.

Naturally, despite the removal of online gameplay features, the Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop will remain unaffected by this change - so you'll still be able to purchase things online through your DS or Wii. Nintendo's last generation of devices originally used GameSpy Technologies' (bought in 2012 by Glu Mobile) server and matchmaking services to power online play. Nintendo took online services in-house with the 3DS and Wii U.

Games made for the Wii U and the 3DS will not be affected. For the full list of affected titles, Nintendo of America also confirmed the titles suffering from the closure -- see them below:

Nintendo DS

• 100 Classic Books
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  • Clubhouse Games
  • Custom Robo Arena
  • Diddy Kong Racing DS
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
  • Fossil Fighters: Champions
  • Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
  • Metroid Prime Hunters
  • Personal Trainer: Walking
  • Picross 3D
  • Picross DS
  • Planet Puzzle League
  • Pokémon Black Version
  • Pokémon Black Version 2
  • Pokémon Diamond Version
  • Pokémon HeartGold Version
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
  • Pokémon Pearl Version
  • Pokémon Platinum Version
  • Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
  • Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
  • Pokémon SoulSilver Version
  • Pokémon White Version
  • Pokémon White Version 2
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village
  • Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
  • Professor Layton and the Last Specter
  • Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
  • Star Fox Command
  • Style Savvy
  • Tenchu: Dark Secret
  • Tetris DS
  • WarioWare DIY
Nintendo DSiWare

• Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
  • Metal Torrent
  • Number Battle
Wii

• Animal Crossing: City Life
  • Battalion Wars 2
  • Endless Ocean
  • Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing
  • Fortune Street
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Mario Sports Mix
  • Mario Strikers Charged
  • Pokémon Battle Revolution
  • Samurai Warriors 3
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
  • Super Smash Brothers Brawl
  • Wii Music
WiiWare

• Dr. Mario Online RX
  • Excitebike: World Rally
  • LONPOS
  • Maboshi's Arcade
  • My Pokémon Ranch
  • ThruSpace
  • WarioWare DIY
  • Other
  • Wii Speak
  • Wii Speak Channel

TedNugent

Arcane
Or you could just not buy a console where all of the online matchmaking and services are governed by centralized servers housed by a content provider.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom