Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Microsoft's numbers aren't even units sold, they're units shipped to retailers. They're probably even further behind than that.

Trojan horse to rule living room media can't compete with just gaming machine... womp womp, poor MS, cry cry cry.

Tytus

Arcane
Microsoft's numbers aren't even units sold, they're units shipped to retailers. They're probably even further behind than that.

Trojan horse to rule living room media can't compete with just gaming machine... womp womp, poor MS, cry cry cry.

That's probably because if people want to be seen traversing their house in their underwear they have chatrullete for that. And it's free.

The first Ellen Page sim now playable in FullHD!

No shitpiss, purchase aborted.

How much do they even need to sell to turn in a reasonable profit?

Can any video game economist step forth with his graphs and parables and career-ruining number scienmajicks?

toroid

Arcane
Modern console sales doesn't turn in any significant profit. They make their profit from the games they sold on the system.

That's definitely the way it was in previous generations. For example the PS3 was fairly advanced and expensive to produce, resulting in a huge loss for each system sold (something like 25% I think).

I'm not so sure about this generation though, it's as if they were expecting a decline in potential AAAAA game profitability and they preemptively cut their losses through reduced hardware costs and diversification of functionality. PS4 and xbone hardware is pretty faggy. I'm curious to know how much it costs to make these systems. I bet they're pretty cheap.

edit:
oh...

Black

Arcane
Modern console sales doesn't turn in any significant profit. They make their profit from the games they sold on the system.

That's definitely the way it was in previous generations. For example the PS3 was fairly advanced and expensive to produce, resulting in a huge loss for each system sold (something like 25% I think).

I'm not so sure about this generation though, it's as if they were expecting a decline in potential AAAAA game profitability and they preemptively cut their losses through reduced hardware costs and diversification of functionality. PS4 and xbone hardware is pretty faggy. I'm curious to know how much it costs to make these systems. I bet they're pretty cheap.

edit:
oh...
http://seekingalpha.com/news/1424471-ihs-ps4-costs-381-to-make-amd-receives-100-per-unit
The only one actually winning the console race is AMD.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, it was that way for Microsoft and Sony, but the Wii was sold at a profit from day one.

The poor economy combined with Microsoft going full retard on the xbox one...Sony is going to crush them. Meanwhile the Wii U is basically a disaster, so I'm curios what Nintendo has up their sleeve - a hardware revision to try and stimulate sales, or will they just fold and start working on their next console?

Melcar

Arcane
Nintendo is not competing on a hardware level, and I think they never will. They have been dependent on their established in house franchises. Problem is that those have grown stale. They can't depend on their fanbase either because said fanbase is shrinking.
They will end up like Sega if they don't wise up.

deuxhero

Arcane
I meant last console in general, not Nintendo. Consoles have always been shitty PCs and trying to compete with them is a loser's game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nintendo is not competing on a hardware level, and I think they never will. They have been dependent on their established in house franchises. Problem is that those have grown stale. They can't depend on their fanbase either because said fanbase is shrinking.
They will end up like Sega if they don't wise up.
It's not so much that they've grown stale, but that Nintendo just refuses to make the kinds of games that sell. Look at NSMB Wii - the first 2D mario on a non-handheld console in like 20 years, and it sold incredibly well. When it came out, the Wii went back to being sold out for months. And NSMB Wii wasn't even that good of a Mario game. People still want to play 2D mario, but Nintendo has said that they aren't interested in making those kinds of games. I'm sure if we got a Zelda that focused more on exploration (both dungeons and the overworld map) with less emphasis on story and no retarded gimmicks, it would sell just as well as Ocarina of Time did. Same thing with Metroid - an actual Metroid sequel would probably do incredibly well. Fuck, even the Prime games, which weren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, are better sequels than Other M, and they sold better too despite being on a console that literally sold less than 1/4 what the Wii did. Nintendo doesn't care, they just want to keep making the games that appeal to them specifically.

I do doubt they'll go Sega though. Sega was terrible at the business end of things, while Nintendo is much more shrewd. They'll be able to stay as a console manufacturer as long as they're smart enough not to sell their products at a loss. And who knows, their next console could do as well as the Wii - that audience didn't just disappear, they just weren't interested in the Wii U.

deuxhero

Arcane
No, Nintendo said they would only make one per console, and for good reason.

Guitar Hero is the obvious example, but Sony milking countless successes into the ground with lots of sequels then forgetting about it when people get tired of them (God of War is just the most recent, but plenty of Sony franchises have suffered this) is a very telling warning.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think anyone was blind to that with Guitar Hero. Some suits made the decision to get what they could out of it before it died, rather than pacing themselves, no doubt because they thought it was a fad no matter what. Even with something like Assassin's Creed you have to make the decision to turn down 7 million sales every November in the hope that pacing things more slowly results in a longer term franchise, but there's no guarantee of that. Long term stuff is rare and kind of random, so most suits would rather get what they can while something is hot. It's not ignorance, it's a conscious decision.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Because we can't have enough leaks:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05...guerrilla-games-media-molecule-and-much-more/

2014-05-0719_55_41-ru11og2.png

Sony mopping the floor with MS and Nintendo.

Delterius

Arcane
Project 'Beast' is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls. Unveiled at the same time as The Last Guardian no less. Well, its jinxed -- welcome to development hell, sucker.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Man, I love how "leaks" became just another part of the hype machine.

Ebonsword

Arcane
It's not ignorance, it's a conscious decision.

I'm not so sure. These are video game company executives that we're talking about, after all.

If they were really so savvy, they'd be investment bankers instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom