Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Imagine spotting autism in this thread and then being an omega-autist about Fresh Supply being inaccurate.
Sorry but taking 200 aerosol can ammo to kill a bloated butcher is retarded. Just because it's official doesn't mean it's better.
I thought they fixed that shit ages ago.
My most recent playthrough of Blood was with Fresh Supply and it is still very much an issue there as of the latest patch. Apparently Atari rights issues stops NightDive from making further patches for the game, so it's just going to remain a broken and unfinished version of the game.

Imagine spotting autism in this thread and then being an omega-autist about Fresh Supply being inaccurate.
Sorry but taking 200 aerosol can ammo to kill a bloated butcher is retarded. Just because it's official doesn't mean it's better.
My most recent playthrough of Blood was with Fresh Supply and it is still very much an issue there as of the latest patch. Apparently Atari rights issues stops NightDive from making further patches for the game, so it's just going to remain a broken and unfinished version of the game.
Well that's a bummer to hear. I knew that Atari was (Supposedly) preventing Nightdive from patching it up more, but I could've sworn before that happened they patched the butchers so they were vulnerable to fire again.

schru

Arcane
Says the one shunning the best Quake core enhancement mod and throwing inaccurate assumptions about it around. No wonder the dev abandoned it if these are the autistic reactions he got.
Yeah, I was rather hyperbolic at the start, but I feel strongly about the integrity of style and overall feel of classics like Quake, and from what I gather that mod is supposed to be focused on improving the style. I would insist that the look of Quake's weapons cannot be improved upon, save for minor model or texture touches for higher resolutions. They feel and sound great, and given the fact that Trent Reznor handled the whole audio work on the game, I'd say attempting to come up with something better is a pretty tall order. And the mod isn't limited to that either; as I said, it has a number of other rather tacky additions. Arcane Dimensions seems to make use of the same monsters as they're from SMC; I spent more time playing it and the combat felt considerably less cohesive and much less like Quake.

I certainly wouldn't want to be rude to the creator of the mod, and since you're one yourself, I suppose it's more personal for you. Rest assured that I don't go deriding modders and I'd be more polite if I were addressing him. Here it's rather about reasserting the enduring quality of the original game, which is also someone's work.

I don't have a problem with conversion mods and I could easily see myself enjoying one with any number of silly gimmicks. But if it's a matter of expressly improving and possibly replacing the vanilla experience, then there's a different standard of criticism to adhere to.

Ash

Arcane
I would insist that the look of Quake's weapons cannot be improved upon, save for minor model or texture touches for higher resolutions.

You have got to be kidding? That's some next level purism. They look like plastic toys. A lot of them are brown or some variation of a textured tube. They have like five animation frames each. The particle effects they emit are squared. Visually they are among the ugliest eyesores of all classic FPS. Which is odd, because the enemies are way more detailed in terms of polygons, texturing and animation frames. They stand out and clash with the game itself, hence the need for some kind of update. Why does the enemy get 12 animation frames for an attack which makes things look smooth and believable but weapons only get 5? This is not good for something that is on screen at all times. Surely the monsters were done by Adrian Carmack and the weapons done by one of the newbies. Or maybe the other Carmack insisted it be this way for optimal performance whoring.

Code:
//
// attacks
//
$frame nailatt1 nailatt2

$frame light1 light2

$frame rockatt1 rockatt2 rockatt3 rockatt4 rockatt5 rockatt6

$frame shotatt1 shotatt2 shotatt3 shotatt4 shotatt5 shotatt6

$frame axatt1 axatt2 axatt3 axatt4 axatt5 axatt6

$frame axattb1 axattb2 axattb3 axattb4 axattb5 axattb6

$frame axattc1 axattc2 axattc3 axattc4 axattc5 axattc6

$frame axattd1 axattd2 axattd3 axattd4 axattd5 axattd6

Wait wait no way. Nailgun, SNG and lightning gun have just TWO frames (this is less than Doom's chaingun, or any weapon in doom rather). Otherwise it's 6 for the rest.

Muh perfect vanilla weapons lol. You're just pretending for the KKK (Kodex Kool Kredits) right?

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well that's a bummer to hear. I knew that Atari was (Supposedly) preventing Nightdive from patching it up more, but I could've sworn before that happened they patched the butchers so they were vulnerable to fire again.
There is this in one of the patch notes posts for B:FS:
Spraycan and HellHound missiles now deal correct damage type and burn time
But i'm like 100% sure it's still just fucked and not accurate, my "200 aerosol can ammo" thing was hyperbole but it still takes like 2x more than it's supposed to. And the flames don't seem to penetrate through enemies like they're supposed to. Here's a video some guy made regarding the Aerosol Can on version 1.9.6 (the current version, Update 2.1). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYCD0uU680w

Half of the things in Civvie's "pink on the inside" video are still true about the latest version of Fresh Supply.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Removed from inventory, seems decent enough. Don't have to fuck about to get the music working, some of the new graphics (AO-shadows) looks alright and fits the look of the game quite well. Will prolly make this my go-to when I have a quake itch.

Hopefully someone can port the other engine games to it.

Actually didn't intend to keep playing but after firing it up yesterday just to take a look at it I'm still hauling ass through normal (I know I know, but running and gunning like a maniac and finishing levels in a few minutes is fun) and hopping on for some DM on occasion. Getting some weird mental whiplash since I've been mainly playing Quake, Hedon, and then Heavy Rain and having a great time with everything. One oddity that I don't remember from regular Quake is the fact that you slide if you're standing on an incline.

But i'm like 100% sure it's still just fucked and not accurate, my "200 aerosol can ammo" thing was hyperbole but it still takes like 2x more than it's supposed to. And the flames don't seem to penetrate through enemies like they're supposed to. Here's a video some guy made regarding the Aerosol Can on version 1.9.6 (the current version, Update 2.1). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYCD0uU680w
I gotcha. The correct damage thing looks (Vaguely) right, but like you said it isn't penetrating through enemies like it should. It's probably roughly correct if you're dealing with one or two at a time but in cases like that it's nowhere near as good as it should be and sticks out like a sore thumb. That's a shame to see, I still have no fucking idea what nonsense prevents them from patching it.

Is this version available on GOG as well?
Coming to GoG, if you've already got Quake on there (Or buy it on there now) it should update to this version. And presumably still have access to the original version just like on Steam.

schru

Arcane
I would insist that the look of Quake's weapons cannot be improved upon, save for minor model or texture touches for higher resolutions.

You have got to be kidding? That's some next level purism. They look like plastic toys. A lot of them are brown or some variation of a textured tube. They have like five animation frames each. The particle effects they emit are squared. Visually they are among the ugliest eyesores of all classic FPS. Which is odd, because the enemies are way more detailed in terms of polygons, texturing and animation frames. They stand out and clash with the game itself, hence the need for some kind of update. Why does the enemy get 12 animation frames for an attack which makes things look smooth and believable but weapons only get 5? This is not good for something that is on screen at all times. Surely the monsters were done by Adrian Carmack and the weapons done by one of the newbies. Or maybe the other Carmack insisted it be this way for optimal performance whoring.

Muh perfect vanilla weapons lol. You're just pretending for the KKK (Kodex Kool Kredits) right?
Not kidding, though I wasn't thinking about animations in particular there. I like to keep games as close to their original state as possible, but that's not my motivation here. The crude (but not without a stylistic touch) models and low-frame animations give Quake a very ‘raw’ and gritty feeling that works very well with the aggressive, grotesque monsters. The particularly low frame rate of the weapons definitely has to do with Carmack's focus on optimization and it could be higher, but I would indeed retain the relatively low-frame-rate presentation of the game, particularly when it comes to the enemies and their choppy movement, as it gives the game an uncanny, nightmarish appearance, rather like pixilation.

When I said the weapons couldn't be improved upon, I didn't mean it in regards to minor polish, as I admitted that the textures and models could be modified a bit, but in regards to replacing their designs and sounds with some alternatives. The most I would admit is the sort of thing that NightDive did for this remaster.

As for the visual appearance, I should specify that I think the weapons look right only in the DOS and WinQuake* renderers (though some source ports try to maintain that look to a certain degree) and at lower resolution. The fact that the HUD doesn't scale beyond 320:240 is enough to show that the game's level of detail was designed with certain limits in mind, and I think the game looks best at that resolution. 640:480 or 800:600 can also look interesting, but those minor model and texture alignment defects start showing.

(*WinQuake is brighter or has a different gamma value, actually, and the movement seems to be a bit different, too.)

I don't have the distortion visible here on the left in mind, that looks nice and I don't like it when source ports fix it, even if it is technically a rendering artefact:

c8XdPDD.png

The more those distortions are cleaned up, the less interesting the viewmodels start to look. Texture filtering also makes them look more bland, and so would smoother lighting.

The rocket launcher looks adequate at lower resolutions:

ljJxVGb.png

But problems start showing up at higher ones, especially with texture filtering on, which makes the shaded parts and the vertices look rather awkward (sorry, couldn't find a sharper screenshot):

XhAiamw.jpeg

Generally, lower resolution gives things rendered at a distance this nice appearance of obscuration, but they also start looking more natural and organic in a way. Add to it the effect an older C.R.T.'s matrix would have on how the pixels blended together.

DKm5qYg.png

I know what you mean regarding the awkward animations of the nailgun, for example, when you focus on it when firing it in clear detail of a high resolution. It bothers me too. But it's a technicality relative to how things have changed regarding hardware and such, not a fault of the design itself. What that needs at most is skilfully adding just a little detail to bring things back to the original presentation (the kind of touch-up that isn't noticed on its own), rather than to replace the models with something altogether different.

But when I talk about Quake's style and visuals, I mean the game as it is in its original form. If someone wants to make an episode with its own overhauled look, that's fine of course.

Ash

Arcane
The more those distortions are cleaned up, the less interesting the viewmodels start to look. Texture filtering also makes them look more bland, and so would smoother lighting.

I agree. All the more reason to trade them in for something more detailed.

I have no issue with any of the visual aspects of the vanilla game...except everything related to the off-putting toy weapons which are made to a lower technical standard than the rest of the art.

The weapons definitely do look a lot better at super lower resolutions, but that comes with numerous tradeoffs and it's not worth it.

Oh, and here, proof of objective technical disparity between weapons and enemies animation:

Code:
===========================================

DEMON

$frame leap1 leap2 leap3 leap4 leap5 leap6 leap7 leap8 leap9 leap10
$frame leap11 leap12

$frame attacka1 attacka2 attacka3 attacka4 attacka5 attacka6 attacka7 attacka8
$frame attacka9 attacka10 attacka11 attacka12 attacka13 attacka14 attacka15

Demon gets 12-15 animation frames (jump attack, melee attack), player gets 2 to 6 per attack..and weapon models also don't have any kind of other animation whatsoever except a universal position interpolation bob when running. Significantly less detail.

the vanilla weapons are trash visually, always were, and purists in this regard are goddamn posers.
Shall we talk about the shitty vanilla balance too and how once you obtain the full arsenal there is effectively only 3 worthwhile weapons in the entire game (SSG, SNG, RL) because the others are made redundant by these three, or are redundant all by themselves (Axe, lightning gun is good but you barely get to use it in vanilla campaign).

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
He's hoping that they do an enhancement like this for Q2 as i've been enjoying going down memory lane with Q1 with extra bells and whistles.
I would love to relive some of my Q2 multiplayer memories. My memories from that far back are a bit fuzzy at this point but I remember some servers had a grappling hook and it was fun as hell to camp on ceilings and such

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this version available on GOG as well?
Coming to GoG, if you've already got Quake on there (Or buy it on there now) it should update to this version. And presumably still have access to the original version just like on Steam.
Thanks. I bought it now on GOG, since it is at a 70% sale, in case the fuckers want to increase the price or something.

Apparently this version's backspeed is wrong (much slower). Devs know about it and it will probably be fixed very soon, but for now you can fix it manually by typing "cl_backspeed 400" in the console (the remake defaults at 200).

fork

Weird. Whether you genuinely idolize him or are merely pretending, either way it's fucking weird and concerning. Go get a gf or lift some weights or something fucking hell.

What's concerning is that there are so many people who've fallen for the propaganda and who don't idolise him; who make fun of him and think he must've been stupid. Those people work as wage-slaves, are being replaced by niggers, forced to vaccinate and wear masks and soon to eat maggots, scammed out of their wealth because of climate change, have no opinions of their own and lack the skill of critical thinking, while Adolf ruled an entire continent and was loved by his people.

And on top of that they defend corporate shit remasters that break more than they fix.

Curratum

Apparently this version's backspeed is wrong (much slower). Devs know about it and it will probably be fixed very soon, but for now you can fix it manually by typing "cl_backspeed 400" in the console (the remake defaults at 200).

I noticed it seemed slower, but I usually go backwards and sideways, and if you combine the two directions, it feels like it evens out to the original speed, or maybe it's just my brain and placebo.

fork

Imagine buying an engine port of a game whose entire success was due to its original engine.
Same with the Doom Unity ports. And then you need a Bethesda account for some stuff?

Jesus Christ, the boiling is complete.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned
Imagine buying an engine port of a game whose entire success was due to its original engine.
Same with the Doom Unity ports. And then you need a Bethesda account for some stuff?

Jesus Christ, the boiling is complete.
The frog is dissolved in the water.

Curratum

"Console players can be just as good on controller even in retro shooters, you elitist PC morons!"

BILCy0c.jpg

I noticed it seemed slower, but I usually go backwards and sideways, and if you combine the two directions, it feels like it evens out to the original speed, or maybe it's just my brain and placebo.
No, diagonal momentum has always been faster in Quake.

Riskbreaker

"Console players can be just as good on controller even in retro shooters, you elitist PC morons!"

BILCy0c.jpg
Crossplay being enabled by default was glorious piece of trolling for sure.
Imagine being a console player playing this for the first time against someone who's been playing Quake for decades on PC.

fork

BILCy0c.jpg
Crossplay being enabled by default was glorious piece of trolling for sure.
Imagine being a console player playing this for the first time against someone who's been playing Quake for decades on PC.

They're doing surprisingly well tbh, except that bottom one.

schru

Arcane

I agree. All the more reason to trade them in for something more detailed.
No. The solution is rather to make small corrections to the parts that look a little awkward at higher resolutions. And when playing with texture filtering on or modified lighting in source ports, they'd also need somewhat higher-resolution textures.

I have no issue with any of the visual aspects of the vanilla game...except everything related to the off-putting toy weapons which are made to a lower technical standard than the rest of the art.

The weapons definitely do look a lot better at super lower resolutions, but that comes with numerous tradeoffs and it's not worth it.
They have simple geometry, but they don't look like toys in the game. The double-barrelled shotgun and the nailguns could gain more polygons without losing their iconic look, but the angular look on the shotgun, grenade launcher, and rocket launcher is part of their appeal. Even the axe looks kind of nice the way it is and I certainly prefer it to the replacement used in AD and 1.5.

At any rate, what I've been saying is that the weapon designs are irreplaceable because they're cool and iconic and fit great with the game world's rough, crude geometry. Their hunk-of-metal-like appearance with some wooden grips is what makes the designs special. Those in Quake 1.5 aren't incompetent or such, they're fine on their own and would fit in some retro indie shooter, but they don't match original game's æsthetics.

Oh, and here, proof of objective technical disparity between weapons and enemies animation:

Code:

DEMON

$frame leap1 leap2 leap3 leap4 leap5 leap6 leap7 leap8 leap9 leap10
$frame leap11 leap12

$frame attacka1 attacka2 attacka3 attacka4 attacka5 attacka6 attacka7 attacka8
$frame attacka9 attacka10 attacka11 attacka12 attacka13 attacka14 attacka15

Demon gets 12-15 animation frames (jump attack, melee attack), player gets 2 to 6 per attack..and weapon models also don't have any kind of other animation whatsoever except a universal position interpolation bob when running. Significantly less detail.

the vanilla weapons are trash visually, always were, and purists in this regard are goddamn posers.
I didn't doubt you the first time, but it doesn't detract from how the weapons feel, as the difference in the number of frames isn't that apparent. Additional frames could be added to them, it's not something that warrants replacing the original designs. I'm also not sure if in case of the nailgun making the animation smoother wouldn't be detrimental, as the low-frame look gives it a look vaguely similar to intermittent illumination when discharging an automatic weapon in darkness. The problem I had in mind regarding it is that the animation is rather simplistic because of the way the piece going horizontally across the barrels moves a bit strangely in relation to them; at higher resolutions it does just look like an aggregate of cubic solids jiggling together, I'll give you that. There's also the actual problem with the nails being fired from above the gun rather than the barrels.

I wouldn't add any idle animations or such. The minimal approach with just the running bob feels appropriate.

Anyway, low-frame animation doesn't equate to ‘trash’ visuals. All these things amount to technicalities or the need to polish things up for rendering settings the game wasn't originally designed in mind with. When I said that the weapons cannot be improved upon, I meant that their audio-visual designs and feel are irreplaceable.

And just because you can't conceive that someone may look at things this way doesn't mean he's pretending. I started out with the attitude ‘I'd rather wait for a source port’ and thought it'd be nice to have higher-resolution assets in older games, but gradually, as I saw how these things tend to turn out, I changed my mind to a DOSBox/wrapper-only stance (of course this doesn't apply to more expansive map packs and mods designed for source ports with new features). And again, one you get bored of the original game, it's fine to play around with whatever mods and conversions you like. I just object to suggestions that the original game with its presentation can be supplanted at some point.

Shall we talk about the shitty vanilla balance too and how once you obtain the full arsenal there is effectively only 3 worthwhile weapons in the entire game (SSG, SNG, RL) because the others are made redundant by these three, or are redundant all by themselves (Axe, lightning gun is good but you barely get to use it in vanilla campaign).
‘Shitty’ balance, the iconic weapons are an ‘eyesore’. But then you get cross with someone for saying that a work-in-progress compilation mod looks terrible because it tinkers with much more than just the weapons.

Those early Id games had small weapon selections, but the way they stand out from basically all shooters ever made shows that having a wider selection rarely amounts to a more cohesive and fulfilling gameplay, and at the very least that it's very difficult to balance and create good uses for many weapons in a shooter.

It'd be nice to have two or three interesting guns more, provided the campaign were also longer. I don't think the enemy roster is that lacking either; it's quite satisfactory for the base game. What is disappointing is that Id wasn't able to live up to that standard of game design ever since.

The shotgun retains its utility when it comes to weaker enemies at range when the player is short on ammo; in earlier maps it still makes sense to fall back on it rather than waste nails or grenades on weaker enemies. You're probably right about the difference between the nailgun and supernailgun being too small, though: the rate of fire is not that different to warrant falling back on the weaker weapon to save ammo and they're generally found close together, in terms of levels. The grenade launcher is very fun to use and I think it might be the best one out of all shooters, but there's definitely less motivation to keep using it once you acquire the rocket launcher. Yet, lobbing grenades around corners and such is a very different function.

I think there are enough opportunities to use the Thunderbolt as a special, extra-powerful weapon. I find that I don't use it that much not because of the lack of ammunition or limited number of levels it's in, but simply because I tend to save it for the more demanding encounters. The axe is a weapon of last resort and while that kind of thing isn't very interesting in itself, it makes sense in that type of shooter. It shouldn't be a viable regular weapon, just like the fist in Doom. It could be interesting to experiment with giving it an ability to deal extra damage in some particular conditions or when blows are landed very skilfully, though, like how the berserker pack in Doom makes the first powerful, but it's easy to miss and the player makes himself particularly vulnerable.

There's potential for modifications to the weapons balance and mechanics, and note that I didn't object to what you said regarding the other gameplay mods. Still, I'd rather keep Doom and Quake simple, the way they are, as their combat systems have outstanding rhythm and cohesion.

When it comes to classic shooters with more weapons, the balance in them too often comes down to a few core weapons being universally serviceable, while the rest hang on as awkward additions that lack proper use and place in the game. It's the case in Unreal (I know, your mod), Sin, Half-Life, and even Blood, which has very imaginative and fun weapons, leaves something to be desired in terms of game design to make the later special weapons fit in. Shadow Warrior is rather underappreciated for how its monsters with special variants create a more diverse flow in terms of the range of weapons that feels appropriate in different situations. Serious Sams do a very good job of making almost every weapon useful and the composition of the hordes requiring different approaches, but it doesn't have that many weapons. It also feels like the weapons and AI from Unreal Tournament had great potential for a singleplayer game, if similarly effective non-humanoid enemies were added to it.

Also:

I think Half-Life 2 and the Episodes are fun games (but not continuing the original's formula is a shame), I found Thief II disappointing and somewhat dull, I don't like Baldur's Gate II at all, and I think Invisible War is enjoyable for what it is. I think that should preclude me from pandering to the Codex's tastes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom