Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Quasimorph - dark turn-based extraction RPG - now available on Early Access

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is the lack of a strong positive response on Steam just a result of it being unfinished, or are there more core design issues?

Launch state balance was... bad to say the least. Right now the game is kinda playable, but some FUN is still in the game. Honestly most older roguelike also has those kind of factor so I believe it's fine.

The trailer and Demo would make you think that this is sort of fast paced shooty roguelike like Jupiter's Hell but it really isn't. Most of the time you are way outnumbered and thus game is actually much slower in the sense that you really need to think on action economy
the game is not in early access right? does anyone one know how much the developer plans to make changes to the game?
Game is EA altho I personally find it playable already in current Hotfix patch. You can read their roadmap here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2059170?emclan=103582791472415801&emgid=3709334211521279502

Most of the roadmap are "more things" with the only big items to check are Narrative Mission and random Events during mission.

Tyranicon btw have you been able to get a demon pact? I got an item to break the contract but nothing yet on how to make one.

It's pretty fun that the game has no wiki and you need to figure shit out

Harthwain

Magister
The 3 movement types all has their own use, especially running where you get 3 actions.
What is the use of stealth? In the demo I couldn't find any use for it whatsoever. Walking and sprinting are both useful. In fact, I didn't realize how wasteful sprint is in terms of calories. But then again, I was trying to move fast to limit mutation growth as much as possible and crafting food helped a lot to mitigate sprinting all the time so it was fine in the end.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
What is the use of stealth?
Scouting in general to get sense of where you should take engagement, especially before opening door. How many enemies, where they aproximately are (which in some maps can still be covered when you open the door). E.g. in a hallway, you scout, see enemies in 2 doors, you block one even before opening it so that you don't get sandwiched. If you use Melee/gun with Silencer you can do stealth kill as well without alerting enemies, good when you see "sleepy" enemies.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The main problem is that once you get to the 4+ floor missions, where it takes you upward of an hour to clear, that it just becomes a real slog.

Honestly I don't think most of the time that you should try to clear floor. After a while and getting a bit of Battery, always bring like 10 per mission and always on the lookout to craft more by Glass/Acid. The Radar Computer thing that reveals the map is a godsent. Most of 4+ floor mission is just you beelining to objective (unless its a Conquest mission ofc)

Oh I meant clear the mission objective to extract, not actually 100% the level. The scanner helps but there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to find it, and half the time I find it two rooms away from the elevator so it's not much help.

I haven't been able to trigger the demon pact or the SKULL stuff, but things get fucky once you reach 1000 on the quasimorph meter, so maybe that's how. But I never let it reach that high (morphine and the aztec cloth combo is kind of cheap and OP as long as you have a stack of the anti-addiction meds)

Here's my current item loadout, which works pretty good:

1696559008201.png

• Two full stacks of food (400 cals each)
  • Two stacks of morphine
  • One stack of Naxoline (to counteract addiction mostly)
  • One stack of cloth (gannix preferred for def, regular for non-def)
You won't need morphine, nax, or as much food for defense missions.

My preference is for one weapon with strong knockback to deal with crowds. The other weapons should be long distance surefire killer. Sometimes you run into enemies you can't afford to take a single action, you need to put them down immediately.

I really haven't found grenades useful enough to give them an entire slot just for a stack of 3.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I haven't been able to trigger the demon pact or the SKULL stuff,
Have you sold out as a race traitor to the Aztecs? Based on your equip it seems you went some energy corpo instead?

Yeah I haven't done their missions at all. The Aztecs have kind of shit gear to barter, at least on the surface, maybe their voodoo demon shit is really good, I wouldn't know. Also, it's probably in your best interest to raid their compounds since they always have great loot in the form of map-revealing items, -600 quasimorph relics, and you can farm gannix cloth. They're also the easiest because their cold guns suck as long as you wear some Aztec armor, meanwhile they're vulnerable to everything else. Try raiding one of the corpos and you get 10+ dudes with 50% instakill lasers chasing you.

Plus y'know, fuck 'em. The universe belongs to humans.

I'm working with RealWare or whatever entirely because they have the only reliable station that takes morphine. And this game is more of an interplanetary morphine production and smuggling sim than anything else, at least right now. :smug:

One great thing about the game is exactly why people hate it: it makes you learn the mechanics the hard way. What appears at first an insurmountably hard game slowly gives way as you become a better player. It's that good roguelite feeling.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Plus y'know, fuck 'em. The universe belongs to humans.

Fuck human, I am gonna full on commies race traitor next save

Dunno if there are any advantage in supporting the small coprs. I think currently everyone kinda have unique items in their tech tree?

E.g. the Commie armors are generalist with decent resistance on all damage type

oasis789

Arcane
how open are the maps? is it like zero sievert you can just R2B whenever you decide to

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
how open are the maps? is it like zero sievert you can just R2B whenever you decide to

On defense missions you can only extract when all enemies are dead. On other missions you can extract when the objective is complete or if you pick up a chip (rare progression item). I tested bringing along a chip when you load in but no dice lol.

The mission maps are very large (3-4 floors) and very dungeon-y.

oasis789

Arcane
been playing this and the worldbuilding is really bizarre. the game more or less just throws you in without much explanation which is great for immersion but some things just make me scratch my head wondering how all this even works. I take a mission on a martian mining facility and its full of corpo "managers" (people in armor carrying shitty pistols) except they are managing a bunch of psycho freaks that fight with dismembered body parts and fatties that explode on death. wtf kind of company is this? who is doing the actual mining?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What forms of exposition does it employ, beyond just letting you infer from mechanics? I saw some tiny bits of "lore" on the solar map, but didn't see much text beyond the purely functional otherwise -- but Tyranicon said there was actually a fair bit?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I take a mission on a martian mining facility and its full of corpo "managers" (people in armor carrying shitty pistols) except they are managing a bunch of psycho freaks that fight with dismembered body parts and fatties that explode on death. wtf kind of company is this? who is doing the actual mining?
Pyke Sounds like plagiarism :lol:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What forms of exposition does it employ, beyond just letting you infer from mechanics? I saw some tiny bits of "lore" on the solar map, but didn't see much text beyond the purely functional otherwise -- but Tyranicon said there was actually a fair bit?

I was early into the game when I wrote that. Unfortunately the descriptions of the corps are basically all you get, there is zero exposition/lore outside of the stock market descriptions.

I would imagine the story bits aren't added yet in Early Access.

agris

Arcane
Patron
honest question, what is an “extraction rpg”?

sounds like a dental school sim

Harthwain

Magister
honest question, what is an “extraction rpg”?
Extraction = you get to keep the gear you survive with that you found on the map (usually that's how you progress in terms of gear for future runs, because you start with the basics).

RPG = it has combat.

:happytrollboy:

Seriously though - RPG generally means a game with various stats. From the store page:

For now game have:
  • 12 characters with different attributes
  • 6 classes with 6 perks and progression
  • 3 special active abilities
By the release, we plan to increase the number of these elements significantly, creating a greater number of unique combinations.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ok so each map is like a raid, in MMO lingo. You go in, merc, loot, extract.

oasis789

Arcane
so there was a big update https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2059170/view/3855706185294921840

Introduction, Tutorial, and Player Onboarding
Upon release, we heard a lot of feedback about the need to assist new players in understanding the game's mechanics and systems. The original onboarding was not very informative, leading players to face a heap of mechanics without explanations. It's time to fix these mistakes!
581bb11769e279914ca75e9c15736484386e460e.gif

We completely reworked the starting sequence and added a narrative mission that provides more context to what's happening in the Solar System. During the tutorial, you can both acquire useful items and explore game mechanics without the threat of encountering tough guys with circular saws. And if you prefer a more challenging start, you can easily skip this mission!

Along with this mission, we are introducing a system of narrative missions similar to a prologue. In the future, with each major update, we will continue to expand this system.

New Mechanics and Improvements to Existing Ones
We've significantly reworked crafting! The interface, a bunch of new recipes, and yes, we've eliminated many exploits. We've also added a new crafting station: a stove for preparing simple food from available materials.

The mechanic of item decay over time has been introduced, primarily affecting raw food products and quasimorphic artifacts. For example, spoiled meat can be processed into antibiotics. So get ready to transform human flesh into pills.

Many old items now have useful properties. For instance, duct tape can now repair weapons and armor by 10 units without losing maximum durability. And you can pour a bottle of water on yourself to extinguish a fire.
c28a8ae569c2cfc6203280186228769327d2dfa7.gif

A mechanic of puddles has been added, resulting from the destruction of containers with acid and water, as well as the use of a toxic sprayer.

A grenade launcher has been introduced, which can be loaded with any grenades. Do you remember that heart can used as a grenade? In the real world, your heart can be broken, but in Quasimorph, you can break someone's skull with a heart!

Also, we are expanding the set of tools available to you: now mines will be at your disposal!

Finally, we've reworked the mechanic of fire and character burning, aiming to make it fairer and more readable. Combined with the new method of extinguishing yourself with water, you now have a much better chance of surviving encounters with flamethrowers.

Interface Improvements and Quality of Life (QoL)

Let's start with the main one: yes-yes, inventory sorting! And you can also delete items in the inventory of Magnum. But that's not all.
56fb05ae3e32ba02df424fa67e4336e370a9b3c5.gif

Many interfaces in the space part of the game have been reworked:
  • Color codes for stations have been made more understandable.
  • It is now possible to change the operative in the mission window without closing the mission window.
  • The interface for displaying reputation with corporations has been changed.

In mission mode, some crucial improvements have been made:
  • The character will not stop when moving through closed doors.
  • Additional damage indication from any source has been added, with the player character flashing, making it easier to notice the presence of a wound or if you are standing in an acid puddle.
  • Crafting at the workbench has been redesigned similar to crafting on the ship-base.
  • Grenade throwing animation has been redesigned.

Global Parameters and Balance

It was amusing to observe how actively you abused the barter system, produced a massive number of items, exchanged them for faction items, and then discovered that faction strengths had grown to unimaginable values.
c4cfea23a3a83ad97aae74fd0a5eb83afa72d302.gif

We tried to shift the gameplay focus towards mission completion. Now, the most useful items can be obtained more frequently through missions, and bartering will provide more consumables, ammunition, and medical supplies. Additionally, we attempted to cover the most obvious and straightforward corporate barter paths to avoid players endlessly accumulating resources.

Apologies to those who wanted to turn Magnum PMC into a pharmaceutical company specializing in morphine production!

Demon pacts have also been fixed and rebalanced, as some were not working or were functioning incorrectly. The ally summoning should now work correctly, and we've reduced the penalties for using pacts, allowing you to use them more frequently.

Content
3d44578e5b3f65978ee1f0ceeeb147b40529a74d.gif

And of course:
  • Over 20 new items added.
  • Active weapon display in hand fixed: now it will be easier to distinguish a flamethrower-wielding enemy from one with a shotgun.
  • New armor set added.
  • Quasimorphic weapons added (you may have noticed them on the exchange lists before, but now you can use them!)
  • Unique rooms added to Moon missions.
  • Many old room presets reworked and improved.
  • New fully destructible objects added.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Plays like a turn-based hotline miami. The combat is sexy and tactical.

Pretty great for what it does except for one huge flaw: inventory management. Backpacks are too small so if you bring a full kit of meds, food, and ammo you have around 2-3 things you can loot. Lack of space to bring things out becomes a big problem since there's no currency to actually buy things (including bigger backpacks!) you have to do some weird bartering which doesnt even tell you what you'll get (or if it does it's an esoteric submenu I can't figure out). Crafting is the only way to get what you want/need reliably but it's annoying even if you manage to have all the materials and schematics since there's no way to queue more than 3 things at a time.

Probably worth about $15 USD. I suggest pirating to try it first because definitely not for everyone

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
You can also trade for one. Or find one.

That being said the game was initially designed with some items being free to craft, so now that they nerfed crafting, backpack slots becomes even more precious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom