Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some japanese indie dev is taunting us with a japanese only game with a translated description (don't think it's automatic translation like on Steam, I think the guy put it on purpose). I played the first mission of the demo, the game plays smooth, the portraits are cool, I think there's an attack command and a talk command, the hero? managed to talk several enemies out of the fight, while it did nothing when used by other characters (I assume it's how you recruit optional characters like in some other games). I'd buy it if it was in English.
0wxwoH.jpeg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/05/3d-...into-darkness-announced-for-ps4-switch-and-pc
Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness (3D action RPG) announced for PS4, Switch, and PC (Steam, but most likely be Ebig Stoor exclusive because fuck you)

Spike Chunsoft has announced 3D action RPG Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch both physically and digitally in North America, Europe, and Japan in 2022. In Europe, the physical edition will be distributed by Numskull Games.

In the 3D action RPG, Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness, the player descends into the world of the Abyss and grows through their experience in its depths. The player can relive the experience of the anime in story mode as well as explore an original story supervised by the series author, Akihito Tsukushi. Fans are sure to enjoy the dark fantasy elements that remain true to the unique flavor of the original work. Many characters from Made in Abyss appear as well, and event scenes are fully voiced by the cast from the anime.

In the 3D action RPG, Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness, the player descends into the world of the Abyss and grows through their experience in its depths. The player can relive the experience of the anime in story mode as well as explore an original story supervised by the series author, Akihito Tsukushi. Fans are sure to enjoy the dark fantasy elements that remain true to the unique flavor of the original work. Many characters from Made in Abyss appear as well, and event scenes are fully voiced by the cast from the anime.

Feature - bladder gauge

lightbane

Arcane
Damn, I waited FOREVER for a game about that one! It is pretty much an Old School dungeon-crawling: The Anime!
Checked the pics, yeah, it seems there might be that kind of tracking for sure.
Don't forget sudden and out of place nudes of minors, and ultra-violence, often directed at said minors. Seeing that the MC is an unknown cave raider, bad ends are probably to be expected.

If you have to backtrack to the base after raiding, and suffer the effects of the Curse, then it will be extra-grimdark (if perhaps tedious).

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, it's CERO Z-rated, which is usually for games like Mortal Kombat and uncensored Resident Evil games in Japan. I guess at least they will follow the original in that regard.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some japanese indie dev is taunting us with a japanese only game with a translated description (don't think it's automatic translation like on Steam, I think the guy put it on purpose). I played the first mission of the demo, the game plays smooth, the portraits are cool, I think there's an attack command and a talk command, the hero? managed to talk several enemies out of the fight, while it did nothing when used by other characters (I assume it's how you recruit optional characters like in some other games). I'd buy it if it was in English.
0wxwoH.jpeg
Oh, worth quoting myself here, he just added an english version, I launched the demo to be sure it's really English, it is, now I bought the game, and you may also at least want to try the demo.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Touhou doujin team AQUA STYLE releases two games on Steam.

Touhou Genso Wanderer -Lotus Labyrinth R-, an overhauled and enhanced edition of 2019 entry of the Mystery Dungeon-like series. No English support, unfortunately.

ss_9713ebff81aa043cea3bd7d7362b69f00e4a2ab6.600x338.jpg
ss_d6e4100b39fe038308cfd2cfb7aaf9a59accbd25.600x338.jpg

Double Focus, a metroidvania-like originally released in 2014, comes with English support.

ss_341122ef848c5a1b383bdae9dc44f1274ead66ae.600x338.jpg
ss_6f8acac96183a86cf8b5b529602f9d9680d07ba0.600x338.jpg

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
0wxwoH.jpeg
This is very, VERY NES Fire Emblem (just look at that first map). With what looks like ripped Final Fantasy Tactics sprites for the weapons? It's cool but it definitely lacks UI/QoL stuff that we got... since, well the SNES days. There's no stat comparison when attacking so you don't know when you'll attack twice, or hit chances. You can't see attack ranges whatsoever.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a $3 machine translated game, but I'd rather play one of the dozens of Fire Emblem mods out there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Konami's GetsuFumaDen sequel is released on Early Access

Also remaster of the first Stripping Akiba game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
demon gaze remaster/port coming to switch and ps4. First time ever that it has broken free of its previous VITA exclusivity:

https://nichegamer.com/2021/05/20/demon-gaze-extra-teaser-trailer/

Publisher Kadokawa Games and developer Cattle Call have shared the Demon Gaze EXTRA teaser trailer and first screenshots for the recently announced port.

The Demon Gaze EXTRA teaser trailer and first screenshots were revealed alongside the newly launched official website for the game, which is coming to both Switch and PS4.

Demon Gaze EXTRA is coming in a 7,480 yen standard version comes with the “Treasure Set” DLC and a reversible jacket, while the 11,480 yen limited edition with the “Treasure Set” DLC, reversible jacket, a three-disc “Memorial Soundtrack”, and an original notebook.

Here’s the new trailer:

Here’s the new screenshots and artwork:

The original Demon Gaze was released back in 2013 for Japan and later in 2014 for the west. In case you missed our review for the original game, you can find that here – the game’s amazing for your information.

Demon Gaze EXTRA is launching for Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 on September 2nd in Japan.

This is Niche Imports. In this column, we regularly cover games that haven’t been announced for western audiences yet. Please leave feedback and let us know if there’s something you want us to cover!

Terra

Cipher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAk0MD4YX7M

Metal Max anniversary stream is live now (as of 25 minutes ago). Hoping they announce something good (that I'll be able to play in English in like 12 years).:negative:
Fucking port Metal Saga to PC and/or make a new entry in that style.

It's sad, such a good series but I felt so little inclination to play Xeno when they moved it closer to being a generic jrpg. They're probably just show more info on that dogs spinoff game.

LJ40

Cipher
Yeah, everything I've seen of Xeno looks pretty bad. Another Saga game would be awesome, or just keep the style of 2R, 3, and 4 (minus the dual screens of course).

Edit - "Project Wolf" revealed to be new Metal Saga game. Couldn't read anything and of course no actual footage shown, just words over some drawings of Noah and a few other random pictures. Very cautiously optimistic.

Edit 2 - Showing a few screenshots now. Art looks a little like Xeno. One shot of a dune buggy arriving at a town built of scrap metal looks pretty cool.

Edit 3 - Looks like Switch exclusive maybe at first, they said something about Steam.

Edit 4 - Metal Saga: Red Fox seems to be the name.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeah, everything I've seen of Xeno looks pretty bad. Another Saga game would be awesome, or just keep the style of 2R, 3, and 4 (minus the dual screens of course).

Edit - "Project Wolf" revealed to be new Metal Saga game. Couldn't read anything and of course no actual footage shown, just words over some drawings of Noah and a few other random pictures. Very cautiously optimistic.

Edit 2 - Showing a few screenshots now. Art looks a little like Xeno. One shot of a dune buggy arriving at a town built of scrap metal looks pretty cool.

Edit 3 - Looks like Switch exclusive maybe at first, they said something about Steam.

Edit 4 - Metal Saga: Red Fox seems to be the name.

Not going through the whole segment and my listening comprehension is terrible, but a quick skim notes the following
1: Very early in development. Locations called "intro dungeon" and "starting town" are clear placeholders.
2: Can pick male or female main character. Designs shown at 52 mins in are tentative
3: Will have seamless encounters on world map.
4: Something about a player base you can decorate and change costumes in.
5: Genre is given as "Bounty Hunting RPG (Tentative)".
6: Platform is given as "Switch at least", just like the language is given as "Japanese, at least".
7: Not sure how you get "Red" from 叛逆ノ狼火 and reading 狼 on its own as just "fox" is wrong. 叛逆 means "treason; treachery; mutiny; rebellion; insurrection", while 狼火 is "signal" (esp a fire based one due to the second kanji). Impossible to say for sure how it would translate without story context (not least of all because the English translations of the first part have massively different nuance), but something like "Spark(s) of Rebellion" is the best I can mangle it into a natural sounding title, though it's non-literal.

Last edited:

LJ40

Cipher
7: Not sure how you get "Red" from 叛逆ノ狼火 and reading 狼 on its own as just "fox" is wrong. 叛逆 means "treason; treachery; mutiny; rebellion; insurrection", while 狼火 is "signal" (esp a fire based one due to the second kanji). Impossible to say for sure how it would translate without story context (not least of all because the English translations of the first part have massively different nuance), but something like "Spark(s) of Rebellion" is the best I can mangle it into a natural sounding title, though it's non-literal.

Sorry, was just a guess based on the T-shirts they plugged right afterwards that said Metal Saga Red Fox in English on them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom