Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Random JRPG News Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Crooked Bee, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Thac0 JRPG ambassador Patron

Thac0
    The old Mercenary Tactics games are pretty aids, even as far as budget FFT clones go, because they have a really annoying mechanic where there are hidden tiles on the ground. This means you have to play the map extremely slow, not pulling any enemy and scanning the field with skills and low movement range for 5 minutes per map to get all of them. If you don't do this the game punishes you heavily, as the hidden treasures are a super currency used to unlock new classes (!).

The newer ones show you the position of those on the floor as those sparkeling spots. Those are okay. They got a bit of heart for FF clones, but nothing really innovative. The most spicy thing is probably that if you level up a skill you can choose which level you cast it at every turn. So if you got poison on level 10, you can cast it at each level from 1-10 if you do not have the mana for a bigger cast, or only need less damage to finish someone off. Even with the units generally having fewer skills there is a bit of choice on combat due to this upcasting system. Apart from that generic FFT copy, adds some story routes but they usually don't change much.

The price on those go really really low, sub 5 dollar territory sometimes. As there is an SRPG drought right now they make for decent comfort food, but they will be forgotten once (if) that draught lifts.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Expon Scholar

Expon
    • incline x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You know, for once I mostly think the new art is better.

I know a guy who really likes metal max so I'll show em this

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dishonoredbr Arbiter

Dishonoredbr
    Neo:The World Ends With You Got a bunch of previews gameplay , mostly possitive.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dyet Novice

Dyet
    Hope this game's going to be good, since it's probably the last we'll see of TWEWY. The gameplay looks basic, but so would the first game's that early on.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    2009 Touhou castlevania-like Koumajou Remilia: Scarlet Symphony is coming to Steam with English support:

• incline incline x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Asha is coming to kill you.

Console versions were released earlier, and apparently the reception is not *that* bad. Not excellent or something, just not that awful it seems.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I think it looks better gameplay wise but graphically it's very budget.

^ Top  
  9. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Some smaller announcements.

Rune Factory 4 Special coming to PC (as well as PS4 and Xbox) this fall.

Rune Factory 5 comin West in early 2022, Switch only for now.

CyberConnect2's Little Tail Bronx series RPG Fuga: Melodies of Steel releases on July 29

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Some interesting games from Nintendo Direct.

Fatal Frame is also coming to PC and other consoles.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Endemic Arcane

Endemic

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Metroid is back, yay!
    But, it is NOT a jrpg! Nor it resembles the average Japanese game!
    Why is it here?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. index.php Arcane

index.php
    https://kidscreen.com/2021/06/21/cyber-group-lines-up-final-fantasy-ix-series/

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • coof coof x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dishonoredbr Arbiter

Dishonoredbr
    Final Trailer for Neo The World Ends With You.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Dyet Novice

Dyet
    Looks great. Just wondering why they aren't revealing the PC release date.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Latro Arcane

Latro
    saGa chAds keep winning. More remasters and new saGa confirmed incoming

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jinn Arcane

Jinn

This might be the lowest price I've seen this. While real-time DRPGs are not generally my bag, this game has so much interesting going on that I might have to finally give it a shot. Also found a pretty comprehensive review of it that has me even more interested.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nostaljaded Savant

Nostaljaded
    Good that its pricing is now at almost a steal for its production values.

For more detailed gameplay mechanics, check my signature link if still sitting on the fence.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I didn't quite catch in that write-up what difficulty you were playing on. I noticed you said it's a good beginner's DRPG, and I am neither a beginner nor do I like to be spoonfed. Was wondering if the higher difficulties offer a good challenge.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. Saw looking through it again you were on the recommended or "normal" difficulty. I wonder how the two above that are. Seems like they might provide a bit more of a challenge.

^ Top  
  20. Nostaljaded Savant

Nostaljaded
    Let's follow a simple line of thought:
    It's been a while for me to recall but I would say it's just more tango dancing busywork and more return trips. Anyway, difficulty can be toggled freely at base after Chapter 1.
    Note keyboard+mouse control should be easier due to ease of targeting enemy.

TLDR: Combat is all right, dungeon layouts nothing to shout about (probably due to real-time survival elements). If mechanics have overstayed their welcome, just lower the difficulty if the story still intrigues. This game has its whole being more than the sum of its parts.

^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Another release from G-Mode Archives (re-release of old feature phone games), Sepas Channel. Japanese only like the previous releases.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I guess they will only release RPG entries on PC?

^ Top  
  22. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    I wonder when they'll get to the 3 Mega Man games everyone wants.

^ Top  
  23. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Here are 2021 summer price dr... wait, they increase prices? https://nisamerica.com/blog/upcoming-changes-pc-games-pricing

They reverted back most of big price drops from last year. For example Ys 8 is $60 again.

What's the logic behind this? Maybe they're trying to increase the payments they can ask for Game Pass and Epic giveaway deals?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. CyberModuled Savant

CyberModuled
    The only one that sort of makes a bit of sense is the Phantom Brave price hike because of it being part of the Soul Nomad bundle they're doing for Switch in late August. Simultaneously though, given how fucking old the PC port is by now and how niche NIS' stuff is in general, anyone who wanted to buy it probably would've by now when it's gone as cheap as $3-4 for the past couple years. It's redundant at best especially when Switch users likely wouldn't give a shit how much the PC version has cost in the past.

Otherwise I legitimately can't think of another reason for the others because all the others are mostly games that don't have any real IP futures as far as we know. Labyrinth of Galleria hasn't gotten a localization announcement yet, Caligula 2 isn't even coming to PC, and all the others are old as fuck with nothing in the works for future games (minus Ys 8). Disgaea 1 PC price hike is especially laughably when they've never even bothered to update the PC version to be on par with the extra QoL and improved sprites of the Switch version they released after the PC version.

^ Top  
  25. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.