Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Any info if it's any good?

The old Mercenary Tactics games are pretty aids, even as far as budget FFT clones go, because they have a really annoying mechanic where there are hidden tiles on the ground. This means you have to play the map extremely slow, not pulling any enemy and scanning the field with skills and low movement range for 5 minutes per map to get all of them. If you don't do this the game punishes you heavily, as the hidden treasures are a super currency used to unlock new classes (!).

The newer ones show you the position of those on the floor as those sparkeling spots. Those are okay. They got a bit of heart for FF clones, but nothing really innovative. The most spicy thing is probably that if you level up a skill you can choose which level you cast it at every turn. So if you got poison on level 10, you can cast it at each level from 1-10 if you do not have the mana for a bigger cast, or only need less damage to finish someone off. Even with the units generally having fewer skills there is a bit of choice on combat due to this upcasting system. Apart from that generic FFT copy, adds some story routes but they usually don't change much.

The price on those go really really low, sub 5 dollar territory sometimes. As there is an SRPG drought right now they make for decent comfort food, but they will be forgotten once (if) that draught lifts.

Expon

Scholar
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kemco.hitpoint.armdgolempremium&hl=en
9ZQZhyAXwPaDKeRVKpLff_UBHzINECqM8OnLC4vwFduGh9wjUts_NWJKOsykOkOhDQ=w2560-h1440-rw

The remake of hit-point's first metal max homage "armed and golem" is getting an english translation. This also means it'll get a pc port like their past games. Because of rust and golem's english title, this is being called armed emeth for consistency.
1613380435807.jpg

Remake art vs the original cellphone version.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kemco.hitpoint.armdgolempremium&hl=en
9ZQZhyAXwPaDKeRVKpLff_UBHzINECqM8OnLC4vwFduGh9wjUts_NWJKOsykOkOhDQ=w2560-h1440-rw

The remake of hit-point's first metal max homage "armed and golem" is getting an english translation. This also means it'll get a pc port like their past games. Because of rust and golem's english title, this is being called armed emeth for consistency.
1613380435807.jpg

Remake art vs the original cellphone version.
You know, for once I mostly think the new art is better.

I know a guy who really likes metal max so I'll show em this

Dyet

Novice
Neo:The World Ends With You Got a bunch of previews gameplay , mostly possitive.

Hope this game's going to be good, since it's probably the last we'll see of TWEWY. The gameplay looks basic, but so would the first game's that early on.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
2009 Touhou castlevania-like Koumajou Remilia: Scarlet Symphony is coming to Steam with English support:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some smaller announcements.

Rune Factory 4 Special coming to PC (as well as PS4 and Xbox) this fall.

Rune Factory 5 comin West in early 2022, Switch only for now.

CyberConnect2's Little Tail Bronx series RPG Fuga: Melodies of Steel releases on July 29

index.php

Arcane
Cyber Group lines up Final Fantasy IX series
Square Enix's popular video game is getting an animated adaptation, which will be produced and distributed by the French prodco.
By Ryan Tuchow
June 21, 2021
Paris-based Cyber Group Studios has inked a co-development and co-production deal with Japanese video game company Square Enix to adapt its fantasy/adventure title Final Fantasy IX as an animated series for eight- to 13-year-olds.

In addition to producing the show, Cyber Group will also handle worldwide distribution, licensing and merchandise.

The company is putting the finishing touches on a project bible, and plans to begin pitching it to broadcasters in the coming months, says Pierre Sissmann, CEO of Cyber Group Studios.. While episode count and length had not been finalized at press time, Sissmann says the goal is to begin production by the end of 2021 or beginning of 2022.

Final Fantasy IX (pictured) centers around a thief who kidnaps a princess and then teams up with her to save the kingdom from evil forces. Originally launched in 2000, the game has sold more than five million copies worldwide.

The 30-year-old Final Fantasy franchise has been adapted for TV before, but this marks the first time the game’s ninth iteration specifically will be adapted as an animated kids series.

Final Fantasy is one of the most popular kid-friendly video game franchises ever, with more than 154 million copies sold worldwide, according to Square Enix’s 2020 annual report. That popularity, and a chance to expand the brand with new characters and adventures, is what attracted Cyber Group, says Sissmann.

“The games have a strong co-viewing potential. For those who do know Final Fantasy IX , this will be an [introduction],” he says. “And for the many who don’t, this will immerse them in a universe they’ll love.”
https://kidscreen.com/2021/06/21/cyber-group-lines-up-final-fantasy-ix-series/

Latro

Arcane
SaGa Frontier's remaster hit multiple platforms and PC, to which Miura gives us a little bit of an overview of the game's platform breakdown. "One thing that was especially unexpected was the number of Steam sales, which have been more than what we had forecasted, and there are more Steam players than we had anticipated. When comparing across the board, though, the Switch version has produced the most sales, which were a lot higher than what we had predicted."

saGa chAds keep winning. More remasters and new saGa confirmed incoming

Jinn

Arcane

This might be the lowest price I've seen this. While real-time DRPGs are not generally my bag, this game has so much interesting going on that I might have to finally give it a shot. Also found a pretty comprehensive review of it that has me even more interested.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Good that its pricing is now at almost a steal for its production values.

For more detailed gameplay mechanics, check my signature link if still sitting on the fence.

Jinn

Arcane
Good that its pricing is now at almost a steal for its production values.

For more detailed gameplay mechanics, check my signature link if still sitting on the fence.

I didn't quite catch in that write-up what difficulty you were playing on. I noticed you said it's a good beginner's DRPG, and I am neither a beginner nor do I like to be spoonfed. Was wondering if the higher difficulties offer a good challenge.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. Saw looking through it again you were on the recommended or "normal" difficulty. I wonder how the two above that are. Seems like they might provide a bit more of a challenge.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Let's follow a simple line of thought:
Most real-time DRPG difficulty levels are just modifiers on the amount of resources available, how many, how hard the enemies hit and how much they can take a beating before going down; dungeon layouts and puzzles would remain unchanged.

It's been a while for me to recall but I would say it's just more tango dancing busywork and more return trips. Anyway, difficulty can be toggled freely at base after Chapter 1.
Note keyboard+mouse control should be easier due to ease of targeting enemy.

TLDR: Combat is all right, dungeon layouts nothing to shout about (probably due to real-time survival elements). If mechanics have overstayed their welcome, just lower the difficulty if the story still intrigues. This game has its whole being more than the sum of its parts.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another release from G-Mode Archives (re-release of old feature phone games), Sepas Channel. Japanese only like the previous releases.

ss_84413ac6fbaf93da205e50c134befaec82a02f91.600x338.jpg
ss_4ecd4b2095c590ec97d1e4cc0eae7d73f86e19e9.600x338.jpg

I guess they will only release RPG entries on PC?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Three years later, looks like they did another price drops on their catalog as of June.

No official list but some minor and old games got decidedly cheaper (Phantom Brave: $15 -> $5). Some full-priced games are now almost half of that. (Coven of Dusk: $50 -> $30, Ys 8: $60 -> $40).

Notable exceptions are Diagea games. No price cuts. Most dramatic cut goes to The 25th Ward: The Silver Case ($30 -> $10).

I guess I gotta buy few of their 2D horror games at Summer Sale.

Here are 2021 summer price dr... wait, they increase prices? https://nisamerica.com/blog/upcoming-changes-pc-games-pricing

They reverted back most of big price drops from last year. For example Ys 8 is $60 again.

Following the conclusion of our sales on the Epic Games Store, Microsoft Store, Stadia, and Steam, the prices of select titles on PC platforms will be updated. These changes will take effect starting July 19.

Please refer to the information below for the new pricing on our titles in USD. Pricing per region may vary.

The 25th Ward: The Silver Case $19.99

Birthdays the Beginning $19.99

The Caligula Overdose $49.99

Cladun Returns: This Is Sengoku! $19.99

Cladun X2 $9.99

Criminal Girls: Invite Only $19.99

Disgaea PC $19.99

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary $9.99

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk $49.99

The Longest Five Minutes $19.99

Phantom Brave PC $19.99

PSYCHO-PASS: Mandatory Happiness $19.99

A Rose in the Twilight $19.99

Yomawari: Night Alone $19.99

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (Stadia, Steam) $59.99

What's the logic behind this? Maybe they're trying to increase the payments they can ask for Game Pass and Epic giveaway deals?

CyberModuled

Arbiter
What's the logic behind this?
The only one that sort of makes a bit of sense is the Phantom Brave price hike because of it being part of the Soul Nomad bundle they're doing for Switch in late August. Simultaneously though, given how fucking old the PC port is by now and how niche NIS' stuff is in general, anyone who wanted to buy it probably would've by now when it's gone as cheap as $3-4 for the past couple years. It's redundant at best especially when Switch users likely wouldn't give a shit how much the PC version has cost in the past.

Otherwise I legitimately can't think of another reason for the others because all the others are mostly games that don't have any real IP futures as far as we know. Labyrinth of Galleria hasn't gotten a localization announcement yet, Caligula 2 isn't even coming to PC, and all the others are old as fuck with nothing in the works for future games (minus Ys 8). Disgaea 1 PC price hike is especially laughably when they've never even bothered to update the PC version to be on par with the extra QoL and improved sprites of the Switch version they released after the PC version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom