Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Octopath Traveler II announced. Coming Febraury 2023. Switch/PS4/PS5/PC

Front Mission 1R in November, FM2R, in 2023, and FM3R in the future.

Atelier Ryza 3 announced.

Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is coming on December 1.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They are milking Ryza hard huh. Truly power of sex appeal

Its kinda annoying that new FE mainline will be a collab games essentially? 3H was fairly entertaining but now you make a cross over games instead? I wouldnt mind of its handled side games or smth but making big mainline game out of cross over seems strange

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Zombie dot - Zombie survival rpg from hit-point. Written by Jiro Ishii
What The?
Kemco actually got Ishii to write a script?

I have ignored 100% of them because always considered them to be mass-producing RpgMaker-like games.
Do any of the existing Kemco games actually have anything that makes them worth playing?

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Zombie dot - Zombie survival rpg from hit-point. Written by Jiro Ishii

So thanks to whoever posted this, actually went and checked it out at the show.

I guess the nice thing with a company the size of Kemco, is you don`t have some QA tester manning the station, it was literally the director....
What he told me: (I wish I had any type of preparation for good questions, dude was more than willing to talk with me as long as I wanted):

Inspired by old-school Zombie movies(Romero). Zombies in media recently are quick moving and speedy, they wanted to make a game with slow zombies you can run by, slow zombies which fits turn-based RPG.
Ishii just helped with some of the direction and made the plot, the entire script is not written by Ishii.

Impressions: It was a quick 10 min demo, nothing that you would not see in an Rpgmaker game.

Very Obvious homages to Zombie media. You start in a hospital waking from a coma into the zombie apolocypse (28 Days Later).
Slowly the tension builds up as it becomes evident no-one is in the building and blood stains are spattered around then start to see body bags.
Do not open, Dead inside door (Walking Dead Homage)

Demo ends with a single combat where you have range / melee and items. There is some type of front / rear line going on here as everytime the zombie attacked, character would counter doing small amounts of damage throwing the zombie back to rear (In which case you could only do range attacks).
You win and a horde of zombies start approaching.
Demo End.

Coming to Android / IOS This year, Consoles next.

20220916-131922.jpg

20220916-215236.jpg

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane

Interviews confirm these are actually ported, not just emulated, and there's a few changes like the normal music coming back after the credits in the 6th game. Also has online battles and trades. Be warned that only 6 and 5 are remotely balanced for MP though. 2 is literally who can press A for an instant kill/anti-instant kill the fastest, 3 isn't much better (though Navicust gives some counterplay), and 4 has such low damage it's trivial to focus on healing and force a draw at worst. 6 actually has a serious competitive scene (since it supported wireless adapter which can be spoofed to allow internet MP, and fans have been devoted enough to improve the netcode).

Endemic

Arcane
Honestly looks pretty intriguing and they have the aesthetics down.

And I don't mean to sound racist, but...

Please don't do this to my Nina. This shit is just played out at this point.

Do you guys even read the whole page? It's not a straight BoF clone if they are mentioning Bioware titles:

Unleash the dragon within you and explore a world of remarkable characters, as you define your personality, create bonds with allies and learn about the true origin of magic to stop a second Calamity. Tears of Magic is a fantasy RPG inspired by titles like Breath of Fire and BioWare games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, where you play a dragon in a beautiful pixel art 2.5D world with rich story, colorful characters and fluid mechanics.

somerandomdude

Learned

Suicidal

Arcane

This looks like it might be a spiritual successor to Nioh. Shame it's PS5 exclusive. Hopefully it's only timed exclusive.

I'm not sure if you're kidding but Team Ninja is making a Basically Just Nioh But Not Called "Nioh" already called Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. Due out next year on PC.

I actually didn't know about Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty until you just brought it up, thanks.

Yeah Wo Long is basically their "Nioh 3 but not really" game with a bit of Sekiro sprinkled in. Ronin seems more like an open world Ubisoft type of deal, probably gonna end up being similar to Ghosts of Tsushima, but with a better combat system.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
An indie rouguelite action game by veteran Japanese developers (Kenichi Iwao, Tatsuya Yoshikawa) who worked at Capcom and Square Enix.

Dunno about Iwao but Tatsuya Yoshikawa has some renown for drawing characters in some Breath of Fire games.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik

R-Type Tactics I • II Cosmos to be published by NIS America in the west​

Strategy RPG collection due out in summer 2023.
Sal Romano
Oct 29 2022 / 2:09 AM EDT

R-Type-Tactics-I-II-NISA_10-29-22-320x180.jpg
NIS America will publish R-Type Tactics I • II Cosmos in the west for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam and Epic Games Store when it launches in summer 2023, the company announced. It will support Japanese audio, and English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Japanese text options.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/rtype-tactics-i-ii-cosmos-6c4650

deuxhero

Arcane
While the original was released in English officially, the sequel (which has lesbian romance options for whatever reason) was only fan translated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom