Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
More screenshots at the link.
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/08/wil...ual-successors-armed-fantasia-and-penny-blood

Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts creators to launch Double Kickstarter campaign for spiritual successors Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood​

Kickstarter campaign to launch on August 29.
Armed-Fantasia-Penny-Blood-Ann_08-26-22-320x180.jpg

WILD BUNCH Productions, a company founded by the core team that created Wild Arms, and YUKIKAZE, a company founded by the core team that created Shadow Hearts, have collectively announced spiritual successors Armed Fantasia: To the End of the Wilderness and Penny Blood. A “Double Kickstarter” campaign to fund both of these “large-scale Japanese RPGs” will be launched on August 29.
Armed Fantasia: To the End of the Wilderness and Penny Blood will share a mutual funding goal of $750,000, which will secure a PC release for each game, while a nearby stretch goal will secure ports to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and the newest Nintendo hardware at the time. The “Early-Bird Combo” pledge level will allow early backers to pledge for both games at a highly discounted price.
The Kickstarter campaign will also integrate a “Combo Meter” that affects stretch goals across both games. A pledge for one game will not only add to that game’s stretch goal meter, it will also contribute to the shared Combo Meter that fills up with support from both games. The more the Combo Meter builds up, the more content that is unlocked across both games. By backing one or both games, backers will help build both titles and support other backers. Clearing goals will share content and talent across each game.
WILD BUNCH Productions and YUKIKAZE will also host a weekly community game in which one of the heroes from each game will face off against a monster. Campaign followers will see five different social media-based goals related to an attack, special move, or block, and each monster will have a set number of hits it takes to defeat them. Defeating a monster clears that community stretch goal and upgrades the rewards chosen during pledges. If one game’s team is not able to clear its goal by not hitting a monster enough times, any hits or cleared goals from the other game will carry over, allowing one community to help the other.

Well, hope dies last even in these twilight days of crowdfunding. They'd do well not to shoot themselves in the foot by asking for too much since you're funding and getting both games, though.

Jinn

Arcane
Wild Arms 3 was pretty cool too.

I'd say all of the games in the series are worth playing, very much so including Wild Arms XF. XF is a really cool tactical-RPG. Wild ARMs 2 is probably the weakest in the series imo, and even still worth giving a shot.

I'm pretty excited about this kickstarter, honestly. I feel like there was always a certain amount of passion and experimentation behind both of the series these developers are coming from. I'm a HUGE fan of Shadow Hearts 1 and 2. From the New World has really good gameplay, but falls flat in everything else that made Shadow Hearts special. Still worth playing though.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wild Arms 3 was pretty cool too.

I'd say all of the games in the series are worth playing, very much so including Wild Arms XF. XF is a really cool tactical-RPG. Wild ARMs 2 is probably the weakest in the series imo, and even still worth giving a shot.

I'm pretty excited about this kickstarter, honestly. I feel like there was always a certain amount of passion and experimentation behind both of the series these developers are coming from. I'm a HUGE fan of Shadow Hearts 1 and 2. From the New World has really good gameplay, but falls flat in everything else that made Shadow Hearts special. Still worth playing though.
Yeah, I only played WA3 though. ;)
Well, and all the Shadow Hearts games. I've never really been into emulation, so if I miss something and didn't collect it, it's probably a done deal.

Anyway, I really liked Wild Arms 3's ammo system. Is that a thing in all of the titles? I thought I'd read that it was a later introduction that wasn't present in the first one at least.

Jinn

Arcane
If you ever saw my backlog and the time spent on this hobby already, you'd get it. :negative:

I guess I can understand that. But I'd always say, don't let your backlog control what you're going to play. Clearing what you already have is a great feeling, but sometimes you just have to enjoy something that has drawn your interest. And, I mean, you buy new games, right? Not really that different.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you ever saw my backlog and the time spent on this hobby already, you'd get it. :negative:

I guess I can understand that. But I'd always say, don't let your backlog control what you're going to play. Clearing what you already have is a great feeling, but sometimes you just have to enjoy something that has drawn your interest. And, I mean, you buy new games, right? Not really that different.
It's more that I'd like to think I'll beat some of these before I die. ;) Besides, I play almost everything. But I'll take your recommendations into consideration if I'm ever looking for classic JRPGs to go back and check out.

Jinn

Arcane
Looks amazing, but is very obviously a conceptual video. If they can bring something like that into the actual gameplay, I'd be ecstatic.

Man I've missed Shadow Hearts. Must be getting close to time do replay the series. Maybe with some difficulty mods or something.

I played about halfway through SH2 somewhat recently (last year or two?). Game was decently hard when I was *very* careful not to upgrade and to practically never upgrade my weapons and armor, or at least let them stay 2-3 chapters obsolete. I was actually surprised to have to retry a boss fight or two.

My one big hope is that they retain the sense of humor to an extent. Maybe not as overboard as SH3 was- although I didn't mind it, personally. Hopefully the protagonist is just as much as a doofus as Yuri was.

I'm surprised people still believe Kickstarters

There is a born sucker every minute. Though honestly given that people keep throwing their money at Star Wars and other franchises long after they've gone bad, it's probably just consoomers who don't give a crap about quality and are quite easily milked by their nostalgia.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh I dunno, for big Japan game actually by the old dev we have 50:50 in Bloodstained and Mighty No. 9. Bloodstaine is hella good. Shenmue was uuuuh average I guess? Certainly good enough altho with Yakuze series existing its kinda not enough but on its own merit its fine. Then we have Eiyuden which we don't know how the finished game will turn out to be (the gaiden game looks OK but gameplay was very basic and just plain grindy, but if main game is structured like normal Suikoden RPG then it shouldn't have the same issue). Am I missing some major Japan based KS? There was project phoenix but that was mostly western devs with input from Japan.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Bloodstained was ok but certainly not outstanding. And platformers in general do ok-ish on kickstarters due to their limited scope.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ntasia-and-penny-blood?ref=discovery_category

KS Live

And it already gets 900k USD out of 725k goal

Editl: the nu-SH seems way to serious in tone. Shadow Hearts outside of Koudelka as setting prequel is actually pretty comedic in writing. You can say it is somewhat like Yakuza where it has pretty serious mainplot with comedic side content.

Hopefully they are not missing the beat on that front

Expon

Scholar
Kemco games for tgs https://www.kemco.jp/infopage/information20220831.html

Cross Tales - Furry rpg from Rideon with multi perspectives
20220831-216977-header-696x392.jpg

Zombie dot - Zombie survival rpg from hit-point. Written by Jiro Ishii
20220831-216885-header2-696x392.jpg

Isekai Rondo - Another isekai rpg from exe-create

Smiling alchemist - Alchemy simulation rpg from Asobox. it's not clear if this is a remake or a straight port of the mobile version
info20220831_13.jpg

Port of Silver Nornir - Kemco talked about wanting to port all mobile games with compatibility issues to modern systems before. Seem they were serious.
cap_03.gif

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Editl: the nu-SH seems way to serious in tone. Shadow Hearts outside of Koudelka as setting prequel is actually pretty comedic in writing. You can say it is somewhat like Yakuza where it has pretty serious mainplot with comedic side content.
The first Shadow Hearts was fairly serious in tone. This seems to be along the lines of that.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Both Sony and Nintendo have video events in a few/several hours. Both should contain some JRPG news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom