Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

Jinn

Arcane
Sweet. Glad I was rewarded by closely following this game and keeping people updated about it, then buying it full price when it became available in my language, with an awesome 75% discount the day after the fact.

These fucking Chinese game companies, man.

Jinn

Arcane
i saw this this morning, but jesus christ i can't even understand what kind of game it is
going about the screen and gifs, combat is stamina based like DS, with constellations based skill-tree, some kind of base management and companion cards mechanics?

It's an action-RPG at its core, with decently challenging gameplay on its "Hard" difficulty. There is a "Very Hard" difficulty after that, which based on my experience would seemingly provide a good challenge.

There is stamina, but as far as I recall (don't have time to check at the moment), it's only consumed when dodging. It does play an important role in combat, especially in boss battles where there is a lot of chaotic activity going on. There are special attacks tied to build-up meter, blocks, "shield breaks", and timed parries as well. My first impression of the combat is that it's very satisfying. I wouldn't compare it to Dark Souls, but there are a few elements that are reminiscent of it. Basically, it grants the player a nice feeling of participating in Wuxia-style kung-fu battles, while retaining good RPG mechanics behind the scenes.

All the other stuff you mentioned is side content and mini-games. Certainly not vital to the experience, but fun little distractions with small incentives.

Checked my time played and it was at 2.2 hours, so I requested a refund and was lucky enough to have it promptly go through. Wanted to try to get that 75% off discount. And to my surprise, it seems it was a mistake and the current discount is now set to 33%. At least I'll save $10. I'll be buying it again after I'm done with work. Game is good, but keep in mind I'm saying this as a sucker for Chinese fantasy and Wuxia, and Chinese RPGs in general.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
So I found out today that Gujian 2 apparently launched with the same online only format, but when the steam version of it was released a few years later, they removed it and implemented traditional hard drive saves.

Hopefully this is an indication of what they'll do with Gujian 3. I was thinking, I'd be fine if it was just like this for the first couple years after launch. As long as it's not a permanent thing.

The game is a lot of fun and one of the most aesthetically beautiful games I've ever played.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Something different, non-WuXia action game from Taiwan, based on Chinese religious/superstitious practices.

PaGui

From the looks of let's play videos, game is quite short and some unavoidable platforming.
Note that the voice acting is not Chinese but in Taiwanese Hokkien (a dialect).

Jinn

Arcane
Fate Seeker 2 will very likely get English subtitles 2 as well

Like with Gujian 3, the sequels are unrelated storywise so you're not missing anything except for some easter eggs and references. Still it's unfortunate to miss out on the earlier games.

For instance I tried Fate Seeker 1 and it's a really fun game but fan translation is mostly garbage.

Hopefully the success of Gujian 3 will signal to these Chinese developers that it is indeed worth it to do English localizations, particularly with some effort put into them. Gujian 3 got around 2,000 new reviews after the localization, the majority of which were very positive.

Suicidal

Arcane
I started playing Gujian 3 recently and I'm surprised by how good it is. I like the combat, the story is pretty interesting, it's decently challenging on the hardest difficulty, the visuals and music are good and the production value is quite high for a no-name Chinese game that costs $25. It reminds me of Witcher 1 crossed with Nier Automata.

The main thing I don't like is that the story is told mostly through lengthy cutscenes. Also it's completely linear and you don't get to make any choices when doing quests. It seems the Chinese, just like the Japanese, don't like to give their players any say in how to story goes.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Is this game the Chink Final Fantasy 15 or something?

This is a video of 2012

Recent article

http://www.auranjet.com/changzhouxinwen/2019/12/07/2019120706554.html

Bundled articles/screenshots

https://playgame.wiki/xuanyuansword7/news

Is this supposed to be a mix of Monster Hunter and Witcher 3?

9jKnO38.jpg

The only Xuanyuan on Steam is a sidestory, Gate of firmament.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is this Diablo + Mount & Blade?

ss_c70b6eed4c0cdd7b4ab894c66f336e37c688f175.600x338.jpg
ss_cff1ed38b610e253ee2e320970394468f407ef6b.600x338.jpg

Chinese only but English localization is coming:

No English support at launch

The English localization of Sands of Salazar is still in progress. We apologize for not supporting English at the beginning of Early Access, and are grateful for your understanding! English support is one of our top priorities, and we aim to add it to the game ASAP.

This is a fantastical tale of an exotic land. The Old Empire which once ruled the desert has fallen, leaving various tribes to fight for control of their world. Little do they know of the seeds of darkness which grow in the shadows with each passing day...

Players may select from different characters to explore the open world desert.

Game Features
  • The rules of the world change constantly. You'll experience an all new adventure each time you play.
    Open-World.gif

• Countless puzzles to solve while fighting challenging enemies and bosses.
    Boss_V2_EN.gif

• Shape the conclusion to your game and discover hidden events and stories.
    Recruit and train troops to engage enemies in massive battles.
    Battle_V2_EN.gif

• Strategy: Whether it's the troops you recruit, the skills you pick, the formations you use, or the tactics you deploy, a strong strategy is required to achieve victory!
    Strategy.gif

• Expandability: We'll be providing a Mod Editor so that all players can contribute and help build an even larger world!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The English localization of Sands of Salazar is still in progress. We apologize for not supporting English at the beginning of Early Access, and are grateful for your understanding! English support is one of our top priorities, and we aim to add it to the game ASAP.
This seems a tiny studio, so I hope this doesn't mean they just wring it through Google Translate.

Carpalone

Novice
Sands of Salzaar is now the third most top selling game on Steam's Global Top Sellers.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Could you have imagined a decade ago we'd switch places with the Chinese audience and keep asking for English translations of their games? Someone should probably form a dedicated localization team and make a killing because that seems to be the main obstacle for Chinese games. Machine translations can only get you so far.

Jinn

Arcane
Could you have imagined a decade ago we'd switch places with the Chinese audience and keep asking for English translations of their games? Someone should probably form a dedicated localization team and make a killing because that seems to be the main obstacle for Chinese games. Machine translations can only get you so far.

Absolutely agree. I think a lot of this bigger Chinese game developers don't have competent localisers actually approaching them. It's essentially a whole nother indie industry that is going completely untapped right now.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
because that seems to be the main obstacle for Chinese games.
Not sure. Gujian 3 is great and had a professional translation, but was entirely ignored by the western press. Not a single review, preview or even note about its English release...

They need to improve translation AND marketing, I guess.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The only reason Gujian 3 got a half decent translation is because the CEO is literally a billionaire member of National People's Congress. He injected 100 million yuan in the company and made Gujian series have movies and television shows.

Jinn

Arcane
Banner of the Maid will be exiting its English beta on February 14th.

by 圣女战旗 Banner of the Maid
Banner of the Maid releases in English!
Announcing the release date of the English version of Banner of the Maid

Bonjour, amies revolutionnaires! After months of hard work, we are incredibly happy to announce that Banner of the Maid will finally release in English on February 14th!
First of all, we want to thank all of you, from the bottom of our hearts, for your continued support. These months since the Chinese release of our game has been the ride of our lives. We were looking forward to releasing the game for good in the West too – but we wanted to do it properly, without compromising the quality of the game. As you know, localizing Banner of the Maid wasn’t exactly an easy undertaking. With more than 300,000 words, it’s a pretty massive game! It took Azure Flame Studio a lot of effort, and it couldn't have been done without the help of our dedicated player Nāk and all the contributions of our beta players. Now we think Banner of the Maid is ready for its English release!

77c45745469c1c9ede0d5653dac50be3709e8432.jpg

To celebrate this announcement, CE-Asia inaugurates today a new Discord server devoted to the game, where we hope to meet all our players (both English- and Chinese-speaking) to discuss strategies, share fanart and fanfiction, receive your suggestions for fixes and future content, and in general celebrate together Banner of the Maid. You can also join us on Facebook and Twitter so as not to miss anything about our games.

Before you start a new adventure with Pauline Bonaparte and her friends in our particular version of the French Revolution, though, we still have one final thing to ask you for. Help us to spread the word! Tell your friends, your favorite youtubers and games journalists, your followers in social media to save the date: the French Revolution starts soon – Banner of the Maid releases in English on February 14th! Aux armes, mes amies!

CE-Asia

Look forward to getting to a playthrough of it soon. The couple of hours I played of it were a lot of fun, but I was waiting for the English version to get polished up first. They took their time with it, and it was already decent quality in beta (as far as Chinese -> English localizations go), so I'm expecting good things.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Jinn

Arcane
Damn, wish that had an English translation. I'd swoop it up in a heartbeat.

Kind of tempted to anyway just in case we ever do get a translation for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom