Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
7.50 USD on itch.io? really? huh

mondblut

Arcane
i found this out of boredom somehow:

https://www.richardsgamestudio.com/games.html#me

screens -

guardian.jpg

Prosper has finished his game??

curds

Magister
The Master's Eye looks atmospheric as fuck. Downloading the demo now. Good find FEDSMOKER.

edit: The dev puts a lot of focus on how affordable the game is.
Buyers of this very affordable game will get these extensions for free. Now this is what RGS calls affordable!
:lol:
That can't bode well.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The tunnel to another island and the magic items outline nail it.
Yendorian Tales 2-3, I think is a masterpiece of "balancing". Every your item, even enchanted to the max, every your spell, is completely obsolete in the next area. I played it two decades ago, but still remember my anguish. I remember that you could destroy high-level monster (a fucking ghoul with 5000 HP!) with a holy rain spell in the area that you should have never visited with a low-level party and gain shitton of levels.

mondblut

Arcane
The tunnel to another island and the magic items outline nail it.
Yendorian Tales 2-3, I think is a masterpiece of "balancing". Every your item, even enchanted to the max, every your spell, is completely obsolete in the next area.

For every crafty asshole there is a screw with inverse rifling. One of the two had an isolated midgame area with some special invulnerable monsters (meaning, with fuckton hitpoints) and special weapons existing solely to kill them (meaning, with fuckton damage). The weapons were supposed to disappear upon leaving the area... but there was a way to take them outside that I have found. For the rest of the game, I found enemy resistance rather underwhelming :smug:

Martyr

Arcane
17. Stranger (by Fireglow Studios)

HsI8Qw5.jpg

Feels and plays a lot like Rage of Mages, but with more story and less grind. I remember it being actually good, or engaging at least. Alas, seems like it's gone forever - can't find the game anywhere on the net. Used to have it on CD, but fuck knows where is it now.

qfPwlbL.jpg

The story was presented in comix-like fashion. Loved the art. Hated the voiceover.

this game's available on the drm-free store zoom.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Zoom? Yet another site to add to the lists. Hmmm Duke atomic edition. So, good site?

Martyr

Arcane
Zoom? Yet another site to add to the lists. Hmmm Duke atomic edition. So, good site?

good site!
the only site that I'm aware of that has a drm-free copy of Planet Alcatraz, as well as Brigade E5, 7.62 and the somewhat semi-obscure-but-fun Konung 3 and Dawn of Magic 2.

Skdursh

Savant

good site!
the only site that I'm aware of that has a drm-free copy of Planet Alcatraz, as well as Brigade E5, 7.62 and the somewhat semi-obscure-but-fun Konung 3 and Dawn of Magic 2.

The Steam version of 7,62 comes with the Blue Sun Mod / Community patch in the beta branch though and you can buy it on sale often for literal pennies. Planet Alcatraz and Konung 3 can also be had for pennies on Steam (and are essentially DRM-free as they can both be run without Steam). Brigade E5 is also on Steam, but is shit, so who cares and I believe Dawn of Magic 2 was previously on Steam but has been removed for some reason, so yeah I guess Zoom it is.

What I'd really like to see for sale somewhere is Boiling Point: Road to Hell as that game has essentially evaporated into thin air. Steam even has the shitty spiritual sequels Xenus 2 and Precursors, but no one is selling the rough gem original.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
İstanbul Efsaneleri: Lale Savaşçıları
5f8572d630dd4.png

Platforms: Amiga, MS-DOS Developer: SiliconWorx Software Publisher: SiliconWorx Software Year: 1994 Tags: Turn-based combat
Description:

İstanbul Efsaneleri: Lale Savaşçıları is one of the first Turkish games (first CRPG) ever developed for PCs. The game consists of a lot of different spells (actually swear words from turkish) and a very different character system.

The story takes place in an alternative Istanbul. You start with a group of four Turkish youngsters who were playing football near an abandoned auto-park. When the ball accidentally went inside the building and of course the youngsters after the ball, they all find themselves in a medieval looking Istanbul. They use all of their training (swearing as spells, waste baskets as shields, and turnips as weapons) to overcome the dangers of this mysterious and evil-infested medieval looking Istanbul, and return to their homes.

The gameplay is from the first-person perspective. You control your party with the keyboard and find your way in the 2D environment. The combats are from an isometric point of view and turn-based.

Screenshots:

More information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/İstanbul_Efsaneleri:_Lale_Savaşçıları
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/stanbul-efsaneleri-lale-savalar

Skdursh

Savant
Are they really worth it? How's the quality of English translation and what about the bugs?
For 7,62? 7,62 is a fantastic game and with the community patch, Blue Sun Mod, Mercapocalypse and GEG it's elevated to be one of the best tactical turn-based strategic shooter RPG-hybrids ever made. It's a bit obtuse to start but easy enough to understand if you put in a little effort. It also comes with a copy of the "Hard Life" community expansion for free on Steam and it's fun, but buggier than the main game and kind of a partial total conversion, so I'd recommend playing the base game first. Planet Alcatraz is pretty enjoyable if you've got a tolerance for classic Slavic jank with some soul and I've never played Konung 3, but it's probably mediocre with the first two setting the stage for what's to come. Brigade E5 is kind of shit and not really worth playing.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
Are they really worth it? How's the quality of English translation and what about the bugs?

you should also check out Dawn of Magic 1/2.
it's a somewhat special slavic Diablo clone. highly unusual player characters to choose from (in DoM 1 more so than in DoM 2). combat focus is on magic. your characters appearance changes depending on the type of magic you use. rather brutal difficulty, so don't choose the permadeath option. the world isn't stale, creatures will not only fight the player, but also NPCs, quest givers and even each other- which I think is a nice touch and also somewhat realistisc. a boa constrictor peacefully hanging out next to a sleeping antilope? not in this game!

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Not sure are these really that obscure, but two dungeon crawlers for Amiga seems to be forgotten by and large.

Knightmare, based on the bong kids show, released 1992:
7yGbp2B.png

9I4fFPb.png

Crystal Dragon, released 1994:
gq17TDe.png

7F1EByh.png

I haven't played Knightmare, but I played Crystal Dragon in the late 90s, and it didn't leave much of an impression.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
A few more screens, these should show up, Crystal Dragon:
13PX10r.png
Tf0JhC6.png

Knightmare:
UDdm3L5.png
25viqfD.png

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Actually, I was most interested in Boiling Point, Xenus 2 and Precursors, but thanks for the tips anyway! :)

These game are clunky as hell, most optional content can be finished I guess? Never got any bug that halted my progress, only terrible AI and weird ideas that make gameplay worse than it is.
The worst feature - when you get shot your mouse sensitivity slow down to bare minimum, so you get even harder time to react.
Or med dependency that lowers its effectiveness, better stock up yourself with donuts from that vendor by the motel.

Translation is rough but you can understand it, I've found some messed up texts when dev made terrible attempt at stylised/poetry.
Maybe it's just my tolerance for rough/bad translations, it's too high after playing dozens of easterneuropean games and Stalker mods.

Some treasure respawns infinitely, which solves your money issues.
And money - they open all doors (it's South American inspired country after all, and made by easterneuropeans on top of that, so they know how it work)... and let your skip doing tasks that otherwise ruins your reputation with other groups.
I've managed to beat BP with Neutral relations with everyone that way.
One particular treasure:
Go to the second town in far east, find old guy in the garden who ask you for some tequilla, talk with him until he give you X mark on the map, buy dynamite or RPG (cheaper), loot mine, walk away a bit beyond render range, come back for fresh treasure and repeat.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom