Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Kitchen Utensil

3 (?) new HUNK scenarios for free is not bad at all.

I agree.
I would have preferred something more meaty than that, but for a free DLC it's pretty good.

RapineDel

Augur
I find it odd they didn't put some of the new enemies in the base game, pale heads would've made things interesting even just on hardcore.

Not bad for free but I'd happily pay for a meaty DLC that's around the quality of the police station (a genuine new area), the hunk scenarios get a bit old and I don't think the gameplay really suits them as more then a bonus/fun mode.

A horse of course

I ended up grabbing a cheap grey market key and running through the Leon B scenario for the sake of completion (the pirated saves can't be used with the retail version - Penance for my sins etc.). I can kind of understand why my Claire A run of the sewers made it seem rather unfinished - there are a lot of routes and areas that are used differently in Leon's (or the 2nd run) version. I think it highlights the weakness of using this weird Frankensteinian kinda-the-same-but-kinda-different A/B/1/2 framework, where you're stealing from one to pay for the other and vice versa. Classicfags might be annoyed by the suggestion but I honestly think they should've merged the two campaigns into one experience (and cut the worthless Sherry/Ada gimmick sections) and made the "second run" mode a more gameplay-focused rogue-lite arrange mode/randomizer with the cinematic/story parts cut, whch would please both spergrunners and people who want the classic survival horror gameplay.

I played the Mayor's daughter scenario up until the jail where I died. It did tell me there's a training mode but I've never liked the action-oriented Raid/Mercenaries/Hunk crap, especially since it's just a "what-if" scenario and has no connection to the story, so I probably won't bother. It is free, so I suppose I can't complain. I'm skeptical any DLC will be of the same quality as the station, even on a smaller scale, but I've read some people claim that an arrange/randomizer mode as I mentioned above is actually already semi-implemented. I'd be impressed if they really went the extra mile and actually randomized not only items and weapons but also all the puzzles, when Mr. X is triggered and so forth. It would add genuine replay value (not time attack/arcade mode shite) and let them milk the existing assets for all their worth.

In the meantime, perhaps it's time I finally swallowed my distaste and played RE7...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ent

Savant
Damn the mayors daughter has quite the pecker on her. Judging from the Russian model they based her off of it looks like the team toned it down a bit in game. Also there must be pretty substantial age gap between her and Ben now that they seemingly aged him up.

Ash

Arcane
I'll add to the recommendations for the DLC, definitely adds value to those who may be thinking of buying the full game. Can't really find fault with it as a free offering aside from a bit too much trial and error, but that's better than being easy and yup it's pretty damn challenging. Feels uncompromisingly old school. There's no handholding whatsoever and its gameplay is razor-focused on its goal without compromise. I guess some may not like that it's a linear combat fest, but that's the point in it.

In the meantime, perhaps it's time I finally swallowed my distaste and played RE7...

I wouldn't bother. Like I said it's not bad but it really felt like a big waste of time to me.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
36-1550429961-1624689463.jpeg

Last edited:

Rodcocker

Arbiter
Finished it and, honestly, I'm quite dissapointed. So even overwhelmingly good reviews across the board isn't even a reliable indicator anymore. The bad things:

The horror tone is barely there. The dialogue and voice acting of Leon and Claire seemed to have be recorded in a parallel reality. They are way too chilled out about whole scenario they are in. Route B Leon sees Mr X for the first time on a monitor and he cracks some kind of joke to himself? Where is the shock and fear of the whole situation for two normal people? Even when an entire base is blowing up around them Claire and Sherry are chatting away how it has been a great friendship building experience when in reality you'd be screaming and running for your life. Think Ripley saving Newt from the Hive in Aliens for what it should have been.

So many jarring elements in the story. Mr X and Birkin show up out of nowhere with no foreshadowing. In the original there was some cutscenes? We knew why the helicopter crashed. We saw Mr X getting dropped off by a sinister helicopter. In the remake they just come out of nowhere, and if you didn't have some memory of the original you'd have absolutely no idea what is going for 95% of the game until you get some form of half-arsed explanation towards the end of the game. Considering the RE engine is clearly capable of some good looking cutscenes (the beginning) they didn't feel the need to use for a few short cutscenes to provide the necessary info and add to the atmosphere?

The boss fights suck ass. It just shows how third person resident evils will always be battling between being slow motion horror and an action games. The general zombie stuff and exploration is good - the most effective part of the game. Low ammo, low character mobility and low visibility, and the feeling of slowly getting overwhelmed as the zombies keep getting up and taking way more bullets than you want to put down again. Then the boss fights... Full action mode except your character isn't equipped for any action. The bosses bull rush and you simply have nothing to respond with. You can't dodge and you can barely run. You seemingly have to just stand in awkard position in the environment to not get hit.

The Mr X player hunt definately adds some tension at first, but when you realize all you can do is run and that's it - it just gets boring very quickly.

The worst part of of it all? Is that only feels that is 1.25 campaigns of content here, which is not spread out but simply recycled across four supposedly 'unique' campaigns. I was bored within 20 minutes of the first B route because the entire game structure was already predictable. As other people have said, they should have just dropped it altogether and made a unique campaign for Claire and Leon with cross over points and story consistency. In this we are somehow meant to believe they fought the same bosses in the same area at the same time? When you get to the end of Route B you are left wondering what the fuck the other character has been doing? Because they surely couldn't have been doing what you did with them in Route A? It is such a missed opportunity as one character could have gone off and explored entirely new parts of racoon city while keeping the more classic scenario for the other character. Instead of giving us more with the remake, they have given us much, much less.

Overall, I think it was rushed out - or they lost faith in the potential success of the game during development and massively curtailed it. There are positives signs, for sure, and maybe RE3 will be a more focused affair for a remaster. It one of those annoying games where I can see the potential for greatness, but it is never realized, and that is much more disappointing than simply playing a bad game.

sullynathan

Arcane
So many jarring elements in the story. Mr X and Birkin show up out of nowhere with no foreshadowing. In the original there was some cutscenes? We knew why the helicopter crashed. We saw Mr X getting dropped off by a sinister helicopter. In the remake they just come out of nowhere, and if you didn't have some memory of the original you'd have absolutely no idea what is going for 95% of the game until you get some form of half-arsed explanation towards the end of the game. Considering the RE engine is clearly capable of some good looking cutscenes (the beginning) they didn't feel the need to use for a few short cutscenes to provide the necessary info and add to the atmosphere?
You'd be a dumbass to jump into the sequel of a game without knowing tyrants exist in resident evil.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
That's not what he's saying. His point is that the tyrant has a less prominent introduction to the game that the one it has in the original RE2. And that's true. I don't think it's a bad thing though, I think it works. They bringed back the conception of the tyrant that RE 1.5 originally had, with a more mysterious guy. In the original game, there was no mystery at all because you can see perfectly the Umbrella logo on the helicopter. So you know it was deployed here by them. Later in the game the player discovers what the tyrant actually wants: Steal the G virus sample from Sherry's pendant and kill all survivors. In the remake, his motivations are more subtle. He has the main objective of killing survivors, being Ben one of them (He knew he was being chased somehow) since he had information about Umbrella. There's one cool detail about the tyrant in the REmake, and it is that device he has in the forehead (There was a more detailed photo but I can't find it. It shows that the device is from Umbrella because it has their logo, and it looks like a mental control sort of thing). Also, there's the eyes, they look like they have cameras implanted on them.

5c5e01250e13b.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom