Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Resident Evil 4 Remake - out now for PC/Playstation/Xbox

RE4 was THE game that popularized QTEs. The remake should, at the very least, acknowledge their existence.

Shenmue was the game that popularized QTEs, and I’m pretty sure it’s the whole reason they’re called Quick Time Events. I think by the time of RE4 there was already talk of people.

I don’t really see why anyone would really want them. The QTE stuff in RE4 would be better as actual gameplay stuff you the player can actually do, or just normal cutscenes going into and out of said gameplay.

RE4 QTEs kind of sucked anyways. QTEs work best when they don’t have game over states, when failing the QTE just puts you in a slightly worse place than if you’d passed. Like, ideally failing the QTE stuff with Krauser would be the intro to a boss fight where you start the fight down some life or in an area that favors Krauser more, or both.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
RE4 QTEs kind of sucked anyways. QTEs work best when they don’t have game over states, when failing the QTE just puts you in a slightly worse place than if you’d passed. Like, ideally failing the QTE stuff with Krauser would be the intro to a boss fight where you start the fight down some life or in an area that favors Krauser more, or both.

That's how the Yakuza series does them generally. Fail a QTE and you take damage, or get knocked on your ass.

That's how the Yakuza series does them generally. Fail a QTE and you take damage, or get knocked on your ass.

I’m pretty sure most of all the QTEs in Shenmue work this way too, same with Sega’s Die Hard Arcade before it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They could always just make QTEs an optional setting separate to the main difficulty, since they seem to be super controversial.
It's rarely good design to make a game and then say "Oh you can turn off certain parts if you don't like them." Make something you can show some confidence in for chrissake.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Tbh QTEs in Resident Evil only started to bother me in RE6. I don't remember if they were optional when the game was released, or did the devs add that feature with patches, but i really struggled with timings during all those garbage setpiece moments. And as you all know, RE6 was composed entirely of setpiece moments.
I wish that were it. I wanted to get on the "RE6 is a misunderstood masterpiece" train with all my fellow contrarians, but man, I could not. The level design is so bad. Every time I see some RE6 apologetics piece on the internet, I reinstall it, boot it up, and immediately quit after 5 minutes of the forced walking museum tour at the beginning of the game.

i still think the remake looks like shit. the rain actually looks like the sperm blizzard from GTA:SA and both ashley and leon look out of place. then the adding weird shit ontop like the man wearing the bullshead and wielding a sledgehammer. and now leon is a full on quip machine, commenting on everything that happens. did we tune into a marvel movie, bros?
who asked for this shit exactly? :?

Fargus

Arcane
i still think the remake looks like shit. the rain actually looks like the sperm blizzard from GTA:SA and both ashley and leon look out of place. then the adding weird shit ontop like the man wearing the bullshead and wielding a sledgehammer. and now leon is a full on quip machine, commenting on everything that happens. did we tune into a marvel movie, bros?
who asked for this shit exactly? :?

Another modern remake for modern crowd. While i don't think it looks that bad i personally don't need it as RE4 plays just fine in this day and age, minus QTE which i despise like any sane person.

I'd rather have them remaking RE1 in the vein of RE2 remake which i think was about the only decent thing Crapcom done for Resident Evil series in recent years.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'd rather have them making new games instead of remaking existing ones. Existing games should be just ported, patched and made available on digital storefronts with minimal changes.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Can't remember if I've heard the new Luis before. Damn, his voice fucking sucks.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd rather have them making new games instead of remaking existing ones. Existing games should be just ported, patched and made available on digital storefronts with minimal changes.
I like updating the originals to run on current systems, but I think the REmakes have their own unique value too. It's been cool for me to see the old stories retold through the RE4-style camera.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
RE4 featured QTEs for the same reason it kept the camera so close to Leon, why the FOV was so narrow, why the enemy AI/maps enable flanking the player, and why you couldn't move and shoot - creating tension. RE4 might not be a particularly scary game, but on a first playthrough you will be in a constant state of heightened awareness, waiting for the next trap or ambush.

I like updating the originals to run on current systems, but I think the REmakes have their own unique value too. It's been cool for me to see the old stories retold through the RE4-style camera.
Without Capcom's habit of remaking old RE games we wouldn't have gotten RE1R and RE2R. I still think the remake of RE3 was the biggest missed opportunity of all - that game was the most experimental of the original trilogy and featured a lot of interest mechanics that could have been expanded upon.

All that Capcom have shown so far about RE4 looks good. I especially like the expanded moveset relating to the knife.

Also, I disagree with others saying that RE4 should only be fixed so it can work on modern systems. The quality of the various parts of the game is very uneven, which was a direct result of its tumultuous and colorful development history. While the initial 1/3 of the game are some of the most well-designed and tightly paced sections of any game I have played, the castle itself, and especially the island, get increasingly rough, with the island section falling completely apart.

I also look forward to Capcom introducing many of the refined mechanics they have experimented in the series since the release of RE4.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I think the REmakes have their own unique value too. It's been cool for me to see the old stories retold through the RE4-style camera.
Capcom's Remakes were considerably less offensive than something like Sony's "Demon's Souls - Lordaeron Edition", because they were essentially new games, just based on old stories.

Still, I find upsetting the amount of resources put into retelling previous stories and putting fresh coat of paint over something that still looked good. RE Village tried to be like RE4, but failed in almost every regard. From the short gameplay snippets this remake looks pretty decent - what exactly prevented Capcom from putting the same amount of effort into Village? It almost as if they completely forgot how to design good new games, so the only way they can make them now is by trying to reconstruct something that was made before.

Another issue i have with remakes is that the originals are no longer available for purchase. At least 20 years ago you could play them on your console through backwards compatibilty, nowadays you can't do even that, you're forced to pirate and use emulation. How many new players would go back to PSX-era RE games after they were made "obsolete" by remakes, and especially now that you can't even buy and launch them on your gaming device?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
They ARE making new games.. or did you not play Resident Evil 7 + 8? Both of which were excellent games in their own right, and rumour has it RE9 is in development too, of course.
Capcom is on a roll with the new games and the remakes.

I say, I'm fucking ready.

Remaking old games is great if they do it faithfully, RE2 remake was a top notch amazing remake, dead space 1 remake is amazing, starcraft 1, etc. diablo 2. remasters .. etc. C&C and red alert.

Nothing wrong with people wanting the best possible version of their favourite game.

If they remade fallout 1+2 very faithfully with updated stuff, I can tell you everybody on the codex would buy it in a heartbeat.

If you're super autistic (and most codexers are obviously) about remakes, then don't play them? simply.. you can go play the old games, if that is waht you want. Me? I want updated new stuff, this aint 2005. Life moves on. Earth rotates, I'm getting old, and death is almost here.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the REmakes have their own unique value too. It's been cool for me to see the old stories retold through the RE4-style camera.
Capcom's Remakes were considerably less offensive than something like Sony's "Demon's Souls - Lordaeron Edition", because they were essentially new games, just based on old stories.

Still, I find upsetting the amount of resources put into retelling previous stories and putting fresh coat of paint over something that still looked good. RE Village tried to be like RE4, but failed in almost every regard. From the short gameplay snippets this remake looks pretty decent - what exactly prevented Capcom from putting the same amount of effort into Village? It almost as if they completely forgot how to design good new games, so the only way they can make them now is by trying to reconstruct something that was made before.

Another issue i have with remakes is that the originals are no longer available for purchase. At least 20 years ago you could play them on your console through backwards compatibilty, nowadays you can't do even that, you're forced to pirate and use emulation. How many new players would go back to PSX-era RE games after they were made "obsolete" by remakes, and especially now that you can't even buy and launch them on your gaming device?

Capcom seems a bit weird in the sense they have so many different teams that they just throw projects at and see what sticks. The RE2 Remake team was actually quite small and low budget by all accounts, they just catapulted to further fame in the company because of how well received RE2 Remake was.

Point being, I wouldn't assume that any of their remake projects are necessarily draining resources (aside from project funds, but Capcom isn't exactly poor) away from anywhere else.

Zombra

Patron
I find upsetting the amount of resources put into retelling previous stories and putting fresh coat of paint over something that still looked good. RE Village tried to be like RE4, but failed in almost every regard. From the short gameplay snippets this remake looks pretty decent - what exactly prevented Capcom from putting the same amount of effort into Village? It almost as if they completely forgot how to design good new games, so the only way they can make them now is by trying to reconstruct something that was made before.
I agree that Village did not duplicate RE4, but I disagree that it failed as a game. Despite some serious flaws, RE8 blew me away. I think you're the one guilty here of wanting it to be more like something from the past. Taken on their own merits RE7 and RE8 are both excellent. Even if you're right and their new properties are bad and their remakes are good, that's not a great argument against them continuing to do remakes.

Obviously I agree that erasing the old versions is a crime and should not be done. This isn't an argument against remakes though, it's just an argument against the practice of erasing the old versions.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
They should do what Heavy Rain did. Make it so you can fail the QTE and the cutscenes turns into a sequence from The Naked Gun. Leon fails the boulder QTE so he trips and falls into a pile of garbage while running away but doesn't get crushed.

I say, I'm fucking ready.

Remaking old games is great if they do it faithfully, RE2 remake was a top notch amazing remake, dead space 1 remake is amazing, starcraft 1, etc. diablo 2. remasters .. etc. C&C and red alert.

Nothing wrong with people wanting the best possible version of their favourite game.

If they remade fallout 1+2 very faithfully with updated stuff, I can tell you everybody on the codex would buy it in a heartbeat.
You are like a shit taste having machine.

Zlaja

Arcane
I prefer the half-white looking Ada from the original over the new Ada. What about you?

ada-wong-leon-kennedy.gif

Vs.

Ada-Wong-resident-evil-4-39355892-500-265.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom