Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

hello friend

Arcane
Geez I didn't need to know this game was being made. That looks ugly af. Compare this to the recent-ish and very good The Journey Down:

MV5BMjM0MmJjZDUtNDQ1ZS00OGU2LWFlMzItOWJlOGU4MTY4NzgzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTExNzkxOQ@@._V1_.jpg

ss_69387e792848b60635aa754861a58990177d7f21.1920x1080.jpg

jd3inline7.jpg

inlinescreen3.jpg

jd2screen5-2.jpg

One of the best adventure games of the decade. Full of soul. And yet the Monkey Island guy shows up with this eyesore.
OK, is there a reason I've never heard about these games? Are they overrated? What's going on here?
:what:
Actually criminally underrated.

Strig

Learned
The MI1 remake has questionable character art, especially Guybrush's hair (wtf), but other than that it still looks decent enough and it retains visual clarity: you can see at a glance what's what.
They have one thing in common, both look cheap and low effort. I think I mentioned earlier that the nuMI style lacks any sense of space. You not only don't know what it is that you're looking at, but often also what plane it occupies in relation to the characters. Foreground? Background? What's that? Think I'm exaggerating? Exhibit A proving that creators sometimes lose track of it themselves, even in more readable scenes:

Xd8ZW4J.png
t2GbGJV.png

Sure, it's "just" a layer/masking problem, but it's in their highly polished trailer that was supposed to silence the detractors. You'd think they'd at least try putting some effort into it. Also, it's a simple enough scene, but can anyone tell me how high is that stage in relation to the floor? What's the direction of the handrails? Is that a table or a sodding lectern?

It's as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for feeding my confirmation bias, Gilbert, you twat.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What the actual FUCK.

Even the ugly Special Edition had a better artstlye than this.
The decline, illustrated in 3 pictures:

1-somi_032.gif

ss_469e2ea77efb4f87e7f9bbc58f58adf9570e5274.1920x1080.jpg

ss_bd989f1025e559eec8d6993666323c9d06181a04.1920x1080.jpg

Nice selection JarlFrank, and let's not forget about the EGA original either, which is still one the best looking landmark EGA games.

I've uploaded comparison shots of the Amiga version as well, which was created by manually converting the 256-colour VGA art to 32 colours. It's quite unique in the sense that it sits halfway between the EGA and the VGA versions, and I actually prefer it to the VGA art (overall, the Amiga conversion is very good).

LGgIdNY.png

3rsqeaj.png

jDYCrgx.png

GUjzBEG.png

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The virgin Secret of Monkey Island Guybrush vs the chad Return to Monkey Island Guybrush.
Guybrush's voiceover and character was a disappointment for me in the third episode as well; that's not how I imagined his voice to sound like at all.

I guess it's the exact same deal when seeing a movie adaptation of your favourite book.

Boleskine

Arcane
There's something about modern art and animation that has always bothered me. It's as if it looks too clean or polished.

The first thing that comes to mind is The Simpsons. I haven't watched it since the early 2000s but when I see a commercial or ad the modern animation seems like a huge downgrade. The 90s episodes had softer colors and edges. Modern animation is too sharp or detailed. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's like there's too much stark contrast. It's jarring and I honestly find it unpleasant to look at the second image. Every color is so bold in a way that my eyes don't know how to focus. Maybe I'm just getting older.

gdoN7qm.jpg

VbBlZI1.jpg

I don't know if this is related to the issues others have with ReMI's art, but I get a similar feeling as with The Simpsons example. The ReMI art is too clean and polished. On one hand the art style looks objectively well-done and unique in its own way, but on the other hand there's something that feels "off". The foreground blends into the background, like Strig and Jenkem noted.

After the initial announcement I understood the criticisms but didn't mind the visuals too much. In motion it looks a bit worse, and the Guybrush model is just plain weird, especially compared to the post-MI2 design that made him more of a lanky doofus. Guybrush's head, torso, and legs don't seem to have a consistent proportionality or caricature design. Where are his legs? Did he get his shins blown off like Hank Hill's dad?

mCz7CZZ.jpg

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's something about modern art and animation that has always bothered me. It's as if it looks too clean or polished.

The first thing that comes to mind is The Simpsons. I haven't watched it since the early 2000s but when I see a commercial or ad the modern animation seems like a huge downgrade. The 90s episodes had softer colors and edges. Modern animation is too sharp or detailed. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's like there's too much stark contrast. It's jarring and I honestly find it unpleasant to look at the second image. Every color is so bold in a way that my eyes don't know how to focus. Maybe I'm just getting older.

gdoN7qm.jpg

VbBlZI1.jpg

I don't know if this is related to the issues others have with ReMI's art, but I get a similar feeling as with The Simpsons example. The ReMI art is too clean and polished. On one hand the art style looks objectively well-done and unique in its own way, but on the other hand there's something that feels "off". The foreground blends into the background, like Strig and Jenkem noted.
It's (at least) two things.

First, it's hand-drawn animation vs computer-drawn, AI-assisted CGI.

Second, the former was intended to be shown on standard definition televisions, while the latter was intended for HD flatscreens. The lines need to be thicker on the former and the colors different on the latter, for the end result to 'look' right.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't care about what he does in his spare time if he can produce good gfx, but this is basically a guy, no?
This is what he started out as but since then his build progession has gone into a dead end. Should respec

RapineDel

Augur
My biggest problem with the art is it's basically this Rex's guys "unique" style twisted into trying to be somewhat like Curse of Monkey Island. It's butchered, it's the worst of both worlds and not the best.

The only positive is Ron is now marketing it as the end of the series so we won't get anymore of this rubbish. I'd prefer they let it rest but at least if Disney ever farm the IP out to someone else they've got nowhere to go but up.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
absolutely not a fan of the geometric shaped artstyle.. the fuck is that.

Pretty disappointing from a big MI fan.
I mean MI 3 had really great artstyle, I love it. Wish they would make it like that again.

I have fond fond memories of playing MI 1+2+3 as a kid, why do you have to trash that? Have I fucked your sister or your mother? fuck you.

As a sidenote: Were any of the newer MI games actually good? the series one and that latest one.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't know how to say this but... that window has legs?

secret monkey island window legs.jpg

There are many reasons modern animation/art can look off-putting or ugly, but one, which I can confirm because I have been drawing a lot recently, is the cleanliness and artificiality of the digital line. I have been doing a lot of pen & ink isometric drawings which require a lot of straight lines, but I always go back and redraw even the straightest line by hand, even if it's a wall. The slight, almost imperceptible wavering of even the steadiest hand gives it a much more natural appearance. There are other reasons, of course, but I'm pretty sure that's one.

LudensCogitet

Learned
Ok, everybody. Come on. This art is muddy, confused, ugly, irredeemable shit. To the point were it would clearly interfere with gameplay. Where can I walk? What is interact-able?

I challenge you to imagine "Guybrush" there moving in a way that doesn't look like some puppet-monster horror film.

I see upon reflection that that misshapen blob with spokes in the background is a chair behind a table with unequal length legs. I thought at first that it was a small bed with unequal length legs and a headboard too small for it.

I actually cannot stand to look at this cluttered, disproportionate nonsense, and if you can, I worry your aesthetic sense has been broken under some kind of sustained torture, probably college.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know how to say this but... that window has legs?

View attachment 25681
Looks like some guy hanging out of the window, either a drunkard or someone who got murdered? Maybe you can examine the guy and he's related to a puzzle or something.

Would be a lot easier to identify as a guy hanging out of the window if the artstyle weren't such a mess though.

good to know that after saying for 20 years that "graphics doesn't matter" codexers are flip-floping AGAIN.

Yeah we all know you're retarded by now, but it shouldn't be that difficult to differentiate between graphical fidelity and art style.
Nobody here cares about graphical fidelity, but art style is an important part of any visual medium. Because, you know, you spend a lot of time looking at it, due to it being a visual medium.
The artists behind those visuals should at least attempt to make them pleasant to look at. And even crappy 80s games with three colors and pixelated stick people are more pleasant to look at than whatever the fuck this shit is.

LudensCogitet

Learned
good to know that after saying for 20 years that "graphics doesn't matter" codexers are flip-floping AGAIN.
It's a pretty cheap trick to lump an entire group of individuals into a single mass, attribute every statement of any of them to all of them, and then call the mass hypocritical. I can assure you I have not met with the other "codexers" and had my comments approved by consensus. I don't care about graphical "fidelity" (a misnomer, since the word implies some source to which the art is faithful as a reproduction). I care about art style. This art style is crap.

LudensCogitet

Learned
It's a pretty cheap trick to lump an entire group of individuals into a single mass, attribute every statement of any of them to all of them, and then call the mass hypocritical.
Sounds like typical codex behaviour. Go to GD and tell me what codexers have to say about jews, niggers, feminists, leftists and even atheists.
Are you lumping me in with a group to tell me the group you lumped me in with lumps people into groups? I recommend paying attention to people you are actually talking to when you talk to them.

Curratum

Ah yes, Crispy and Curratum, posters whose opinions are totally valid :M

We live in truly enlightened times when a German neo-nazi zoomer with gender identity issues thinks he's in some sort of position to critique the opinions of other people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom