Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The descriptive tool tip names they've got here reminds me of edutainment games. I seem to recall at least one doing that vaguely descriptive, vaguely name thing back when I was a child and playing those things. Can't help but wonder if that says something about audiences these days...

negator2vc

Scholar
Huh, this last trailer is amazingly bland and sterile, not a single good joke... :negative:

WTF is going on with Stan's jacket... It's like a peek into a synthwave dimension.
That's actually the best thing about this trailer.
By everything they have shown until now you seriously expected a good trailer?

Also Stan close up exemplify everything wrong about the new art style!

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Also Stan close up exemplify everything wrong about the new art style!
Mouth.jpg

Look into my mouth, ye Mighty, and despair!

Falksi

Arcane
It genuinely hurts my eyes looking at these trailers.

I don't think I've ever actually hated a game before it's release before, but I do this one.

The retardation of the people who are into this must be off the scale.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
At first I had one gigantic reason to dislike this game.

Now I have three.

The artstyle is terrible.

The new LeChuck voice actor is not cut out for the job.

The writing is poor.

negator2vc

Scholar
I wonder who's gonna take the bullet for us, and enlighten us about the puzzles. Any brave soul? Rincewind is your body ready?
Or we can just wait for the youtube walkthroughs ;)
I can't wait to see the "secret of the monkey island" :bounce::bounce::bounce:
Judging by the already shown crappy humor (both visual and written) I will not be suprised if it contains current year events & politics

Ron's brain is probably too liquified to realize the ironic self-own of having Stan be the presenter of the trailer. You know, the guy who has historically tried to con players into buying overpriced, worthless garbage thinking it's a good deal.

I'll take some poetic justice, even if unintentional. The game itself is the horse armour.

Also funny to see some copiumlords ITT finally come to the realization that there's no salvaging this.

Ravielsk

Magister

This just legit looks like a chinese bootleg version of monkey island(for ios and android). It just looks so cheap and... "surface level"(?) its like a recreation of a game made purely off of screenshots and the random gif.

I mean the airbrushed version of Donkey Island looks less stilted than this and that was a 1994 Czech shitpost, not a official sequel.

RapineDel

Augur
At first I had one gigantic reason to dislike this game.

Now I have three.

The artstyle is terrible.

The new LeChuck voice actor is not cut out for the job.

The writing is poor.

The writing concerns me the most, I've heard basically nothing comparable to the first three games and the sequence with Wally was particularly rough.

Something about Dominic's voice acting also isn't doing it for me, not sure if he's rusty (given he doesn't do a lot of other voice work) or his time on twitter has lead to him sounding "different".

One has to suffer from serious brain damage and/or mental degradation to find this utter rubbish appealing. The jokes are bland and cringeworthy, uninspired and rotten, voice acting is terrible (especially if compared to the high standard of all earlier MIs in this regard), and the graphics... oh sweet baby Jesus, it's just beyond, way beyond anything even remotely comparable to agreeable artdesign. It's not as simple as that the graphic style by itself is ass ugly. I have the strong impression that there no stilistic paradgima at all, it's sheer tastelesness, and there is no discernable aesthetic principle guiding all of this. No inspiration, no fun, no love, just complete emptiness, a piece of software devoid of the soul it tries to mimicry. Everything I enjoyed in Monkey Island seems inverted into an utter parody here.

ferratilis

Magister
Look at that font, and the inventory... Jesus Christ. It's like they didn't even create any UI, just using some kind of default template.

EDIT: Also, this "press a button to bring up inventory" trend in adventure games needs to stop. Old games did it much better, everything should be on screen at all times:
mi2_beach.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lol it really is babby mode, whenever you hover your cursor over something it only has left and right click and tells you exactly what the click will do.
"Take skull from pole" when you hover over the skull. "Talk to Murray" when you hover over Murray.
Lame and boring.

Using the wrong verb on objects in old adventure games often was used for jokes. Now you can't even use the wrong verb, because there are no verbs. There is only click.

Scrounger

Educated
What's up with the interface? It bugs me in a very wrong way. That "thing" could've be done much MUCH better, even with android in mind

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom