Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Wesp5 please remove the "Freeze!" that enemies shout when first aggroed. It's very out of place especially with gang members and whatnot. Pretty please.

Wesp5

Arcane
Wesp5 please remove the "Freeze!" that enemies shout when first aggroed. It's very out of place especially with gang members and whatnot. Pretty please.

Why should I do this? Is it only valid for cops to shout that? It has been in the game since the original.

SausageInYourFace: I added myself and all major contributors of the patch to the credits as Paradox wants to display them in Bloodlines 2, being aware that without the patch there wouldn't be a sequel in the first place!

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Why should I do this? Is it only valid for cops to shout that? It has been in the game since the original.

It's out of character for NPCs except the police and bodyguards, but most visibly uses voice acting that doesn't match the character in question.

Wesp5

Arcane
It's out of character for NPCs except the police and bodyguards, but most visibly uses voice acting that doesn't match the character in question.

That's a different and common problem of Bloodlines, if a NPC doesn't find a specific line, it falls back to a generic one. So which NPC was this exactly?

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
But the final battle, despite nice presentation, was quite disappointing. The guy you fight was foreshadowed to be a nasty motherfucker for most of the game... and then he dies quite easily, without even forcing me to use my reserves of blood sacks. The Chinese chick was much more difficult foe, at least for my katana+blood magic build. I had to throw everything I had against her, died half a dozen times and finally defeated her with last hitpoint and last drop of blood left... compared to that, the final battle seemed like a breeze.

Same here. I was so disappointed with Sheriff fight, zero challenge at all. Overall, the game difficulty is strange - I had zero problems for most of the game, all the bosses were easy. The only places that required some thinking were:
- Zhao warehouse
- Society of Leopold (if you want to fight)

Everything else was easy. And then... Ming fight comes. WTF - suddenly I need to use all my blood packs, spam Blood Boil like crazy, use all the Flamethrower ammo, and still barely made it after like 7 tries. I think this fight may be the end of game for some players (without Celerity or Blood Magic).

Also - I see I missed best sword in the game. Where is this special blade in latest Wesp patch? I didn't see it in Adrei's lair.

Wesp5

Arcane
I was so disappointed with Sheriff fight, zero challenge at all.

We already added the Sheriff using a bat swarm in the plus patch, so this should make the fight a little bit more challenging!

Also - I see I missed best sword in the game. Where is this special blade in latest Wesp patch? I didn't see it in Adrei's lair.

The Ra blade should be a little to the left from where Andei emerges in his lair, in front of the guy he carved up with it ;)...

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
That's a different and common problem of Bloodlines, if a NPC doesn't find a specific line, it falls back to a generic one. So which NPC was this exactly?

Start with the generic gangbangers in the warehouse blowup mission. Also Downtown gangbangers.

Wesp5

Arcane
Start with the generic gangbangers in the warehouse blowup mission. Also Downtown gangbangers.

I checked their sound files and one is indeed: "Freeze, motherfucker!" I'm pretty sure this is intended, or does the US police use it like this ;)?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

I checked their sound files and one is indeed: "Freeze, motherfucker!" I'm pretty sure this is intended, or does the US police use it like this ;)?

Real world US police likely does. World of Darkness US police certainly does.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

SausageInYourFace: I added myself and all major contributors of the patch to the credits as Paradox wants to display them in Bloodlines 2, being aware that without the patch there wouldn't be a sequel in the first place!

So aside from inserting yourself into the credits of a game you didn't make you're also responsible for the abomination POZLINES 2, wow great job!

Everything else was easy. And then... Ming fight comes. WTF - suddenly I need to use all my blood packs, spam Blood Boil like crazy, use all the Flamethrower ammo, and still barely made it after like 7 tries. I think this fight may be the end of game for some players (without Celerity or Blood Magic).

I actually had to use God mode for it on my very first run, when my build was completely inefficient crap. Bloodlines was my first game of this type. Now I wipe the floor with that boss of course, but I still remember how hopeless I was in that fight the first time. :lol:

Delterius

Arcane

So aside from inserting yourself into the credits of a game you didn't make you're also responsible for the abomination POZLINES 2, wow great job!
hi tessera

Latelistener

Arcane
The basic version now feels like the plus version, but from several years ago when I was replaying it the last time.

There are so many changes even from the start that I fear we need another version of basic that concentrates on fixing bugs exclusively, but that's not going to happen.

It's probably easier to just find an older version of the patch, but links are mostly dead below version 7.

Sykar

Arcane
The basic version now feels like the plus version, but from several years ago when I was replaying it the last time.

There are so many changes even from the start that I fear we need another version of basic that concentrates on fixing bugs exclusively, but that's not going to happen.

It's probably easier to just find an older version of the patch, but links are mostly dead below version 7.

Or use the True Patch. Regardless what people think of the creators behind it, it is still a well working patch with minimal to no changes to the original game.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I understand that people would like to play something without any changes whatsoever. I will say that have never played the original but I have recently played the game with the patch and there wasn't a single instance in the whole playthrough where something felt out of place or inconsistent to me.

Latelistener

Arcane
There are so many changes
Tell Wesp5 exactly what the basic version changes, and he will remove it.
I just started the game and I already see there are many unnecessary changes in the intro movie, like different camera angles and animations.

Then there was the dialogue line where Jack asks you to "move a bit" shortly after the intro, which was restored to the plus version. Now it's in the basic version and that's only a half of the problem.

You start the tutorial in a completely different place, after which Jack asks you to "move a bit" and then you're teleported to the old tutorial area (you can't refuse obviously, since there's only one dialogue option). I'd say that's a questionable change even for the plus version, but it's in the basic.

Honestly, I think that's the real problem with Wesp. Whoever asks him to do something he just does (adds or removes), without any kind of policy or a sense of taste.

I remember in one of the patches he added tourniquet at the entrance of Confession, in which I managed to stuck so I had to reload. Not sure if it's still there.

I understand that people would like to play something without any changes whatsoever. I will say that have never played the original but I have recently played the game with the patch and there wasn't a single instance in the whole playthrough where something felt out of place or inconsistent to me.
Honestly I'm not that kind of a purist. I'm up for any positive changes, like GMDX for Deus Ex, which only improves graphics and gameplay but doesn't touch story or dialogues. I even asked Ash to fix a few things, but he said he won't touch any story related stuff.

Or use the True Patch. Regardless what people think of the creators behind it, it is still a well working patch with minimal to no changes to the original game.
Judging from what I read about Tessera, I'd probably stick to 1.2. Seems like the Steam version is working fine under Windows 10.

Wesp5

Arcane
I just started the game and I already see there are many unnecessary changes in the intro movie, like different camera angles and animations.

The big thing changed there was showing the head coming off in the execution which was cut in all European versions. Maybe to you this is not a fix, but to me it is! I also hid some floating NPCs and added some blood, but the latter is plus only...

You start the tutorial in a completely different place, after which Jack asks you to "move a bit" and then you're teleported to the old tutorial area (you can't refuse obviously, since there's only one dialogue option). I'd say that's a questionable change even for the plus version, but it's in the basic.

Yeah, this is the most recent big change of the patch and I thought long if this should be in basic or plus. You see, after the intro you leave the theatre by the back entrance and end up in the tutorial location. Later in the downtown hub you can go to the theatre back entrance and the area looks completely different! This was bugging players for years. I remember seing plans on how the hub would needed to be change which is just impossible. Then recently somebody came up with the movement solution. To me this is a bug fix, because these exits should look the same!

I remember in one of the patches he added tourniquet at the entrance of Confession, in which I managed to stuck so I had to reload. Not sure if it's still there.

That is a restoration after a beta screenshot and is plus patch only. And you can ask Venus to remove it if you really get stuck all the time :)!

But if you find other issues that should not belong into basic, just tell me. The basic patch was retro engineered out of plus so there is always the chance that I overlooked something...

Last edited:

Vibalist

Arcane
That is a restoration after a beta screenshot and is plus patch only. And you can ask Venus to remove it if you really get stuck all the time :)!

But it's a really, really bad restoration, Wesp. It adds nothing to the experience of playing Bloodlines. Not everything needs to be restored if it's objectively awful, you're allowed to make your own decisions here.

jackofshadows

Magister
Actually, that exact thing averted me from playing with Wesp's patch further few years ago. I didn't stuck but I was like :what: is this? Why?! If this approach extrapolates on the whole game, I'm outta here. Call me purist if you want, don't care.

To fix some old bugs is one thing, but to restore content which was cut for a damn good reason is a completely different story.

But hey, it's nice to have options, 1.2 is still there and it's perfectly playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom