Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

mkultra

Augur
Anyone switched to a WiFi 6 Router for their Quest 2? Did it make a big difference? I'm on a exclusive 5GHz channel for mine, but it really doesn't make any difference from 2.4GHz, from what i've seen (testing with NMS, since it's the most demanding VR game that i have). Turning off that Spacewarp thing and using 120Hz instead of 72Hz makes the most beneficial impact for latency (47-50ms currently) i've noticed. I'm using Virtual Desktop.

Also, any recommendation for non VR games that are modded to be VR? There's Alien Isolation, which i must try.. And then there's the resident evil remakes (2 and 3) which looks awesome, not sure those are finished yet though.

I never used a non wifi6 router but switching from 2.4ghz to 5ghz made a big difference to me. Do you use a seperate SSID for 5ghz? Because if not your quest will often switch to 2.4ghz. It could be the reason you don't see any difference.

NMS is optimized very poorly in VR, i wouldn't use the game for performance testing. Resident Evil 2 and 3 don't look like they are in a playable state yet. Alien Isolation VR is great.

it's on a exclusive 5GHz channel with DFS and yes separate SSID, so it can't switch to 2.4GHz. Might try a wifi6 router...

it can be better to test poorly optimized VR games because if you can get them to run well then optimized ones will run really great and other non optimized games will run ok too.

Perkel

Arcane
Anyone switched to a WiFi 6 Router for their Quest 2? Did it make a big difference?

I did. It made huge difference trying to use wireless streaming to headset via ALVR or VirtualDesktop. It is worth noting that you should connect your pc to router via ethernet.

Old old N router i got like 60-70ms latency and my connection was unstable which caused often times lagged video feed for split second. That happened more or less every 30 seconds or so. With Wifi6 class router i have around 40ms latency and no video feed issue. I can also crank up quality a lot higher without problems.

Also worth noting is that Quest 2 battery life is around 2-3 hours when you play games on it but with AirLink/wireless you are looking at 4-5-6 hours depending on settigns.

mkultra

Augur
Anyone switched to a WiFi 6 Router for their Quest 2? Did it make a big difference?

I did. It made huge difference trying to use wireless streaming to headset via ALVR or VirtualDesktop. It is worth noting that you should connect your pc to router via ethernet.

Old old N router i got like 60-70ms latency and my connection was unstable which caused often times lagged video feed for split second. That happened more or less every 30 seconds or so. With Wifi6 class router i have around 40ms latency and no video feed issue. I can also crank up quality a lot higher without problems.

Also worth noting is that Quest 2 battery life is around 2-3 hours when you play games on it but with AirLink/wireless you are looking at 4-5-6 hours depending on settigns.

Sounds good. Hadn't even though about the additional battery life, nice :)

Perkel

Arcane

It is even more nice than that. You can get powerbank strapped to back of your head easily which also works great as counterweight for headset itself and you are looking then at ~10-15 hours of wireless play.

mkultra

Augur

It is even more nice than that. You can get powerbank strapped to back of your head easily which also works great as counterweight for headset itself and you are looking then at ~10-15 hours of wireless play.

Cool. I bought a really long charger cable for it, also good to have.

One thing i absolutely don't like is the material in it though. I get itching, but worse is my nostrils gets bone dry.. never reacted to any material before, but this is nasty.. need to switch it out completely, the silicone cover doesn't do anything, perhaps it removes itching somewhat. This itching isn't terrible, but definitely there. It's my least favorite thing with VR, how it encloses not just the eyes but also the nose so you're partially breathing inside the mask.

Perkel

Arcane
Got myself cheap this thing and with it easily Quest 2 is the most confortable headset i tried mostly due to its small weight and no cable weight as you can use it wirelessly.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Hitman 3 VR with proper motion controls will be an absolute blast to play if they don't fuck it up on the mechanical side.

Dexter

Arcane
Hitman 3 VR with proper motion controls will be an absolute blast to play if they don't fuck it up on the mechanical side.
From my understanding Hitman 3 allows you to to play the Campaigns of both Hitman and Hitman 2 if you own them? So this would be a Motion Control VR port of the campaign content of their last 3 games since 2016.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Okay so I just played the tutorial of Beanstalker and I am pretty sure that this is what codexers want to play in vr. You climb with hooks and gather stuff and fight and it quite well done. Just make sure when you are crafting that the correct recipe is on the crafting table and not extra ingredients in stacks(!).

Also it is on sale now which is how I found it. I am going to actually start the campaign now but I felt the need to let the codex know about this while it is on sale.

Dexter

Arcane
Interesting, one of the first Oculus "VR Excl000sives" published by Oculus Studios and a Launch title for the Rift CV1, Lucky's Tale is apparently coming to Steam and PSVR. I'm not sure what exactly this indicates, either that the contracts they signed aren't "Lifetime Exclusivity" and might be restricted to 5 years or that Facecock is relenting on their PC Excl000sive titles and letting developers publish them on other platforms, this for instance wasn't the case when Chronos was released on Steam without VR:

Moss II comes out in Spring 2022:

CoOp Horror game by Japanese developer:

Vertigo 2 Dev Update, looks like a Fallout-y Shooter with Faction choice:

Comes out in a week, comparison between PC, PSVR and Quest 2 ports:

Teaser for Propagation: Paradise Hotel, what looks like another Zombie game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r_xCfb_QQ
Some Mobile-looking CoOp Tower Defense game "The Chewllers": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibxiZFQsscw
Some Mobile-looking Space Cockpit game "Ziggy's Cosmic Adventures": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWIiKkUpv0

Last edited:

A horse of course

Platform exclusivity bullshit is the absolute last thing VR needed, but everybody knew it would happen. I really hope Valve stays in the game as a less restrictive/less closed-garden alternative to facebook.

Perkel

Arcane
Platform exclusivity bullshit is the absolute last thing VR needed, but everybody knew it would happen. I really hope Valve stays in the game as a less restrictive/less closed-garden alternative to facebook.

Capitalism has to itself that it works regardless if people like it or not.

Good example of that is how Quest 2 completely dominated sales of other headsets and games on it sell multiple times more than on other platforms. The main problem of VR is that there isn't enough money in it for big players to seriosly join. So while platform exclusivity is bullshit Quest case overall should be good in long run.

Remember early days of PC gaming ? It was fractioned so much that people couldn't play games because gpu market has dozens of players and each gpu was not compat with some games. Then came voodoo and killed mostly the rest finally giving players a way to just buy PC game and play it without fucking around like monkey with tools in garage.

Similar story here market is currently fractioned. There is Playstation VR, there is Steam VR, there is Oculus VR and there is Other VR. PS went hard with VR promotion and getting big names under umbrella unfortunutelly shitty hardware in ps4 and early tech meant shit sales. For VR those sold really well but compared to normal game they were failures on the books. Steam VR sure is open but also filled with shit VR games and common user doesn't have time like we do to track every news about new VR game, they just want to browse good games and ignore shit ones. Oculus went also hard but PC clearly caused problems here, lot of windows issues and in general PC issues with platform that was never designed to do VR. As with any open platform suddenly you had not one or two choices but VR headsets started to pop up leftand right further confusing normal people and it again caused problems from end user perspective.

Oculus with Quest 2 solved all their issues. It is self contained platform their control completely build for VR from day1. There are no driver issues, no different headsets to try you buy it and you play it that is it. This is something casuals can finally consume and this is why it sells so much. They don't have to care about nvidia drivers fucking up something, or windows update.

300$ headset is only half the story here. The other part is how everything "just works". With that foundation they invested money in studios bought few key ones and now they have their own platform. Hope it will grow and make VR "normal". AS VR will grow PC VR will grow with it. Much like PC gaming grew despite consoles existance.

Perkel

Arcane
Recent hardware survey on steam.

Quest devices so quest 1 and quest 2 take about 40% of all VR devices on it. Oculus total takes 60% with older devices. Before Quest 2 started to sell Quest 1 had like 3%.

Dexter

Arcane
games on it sell multiple times more than on other platforms
There is no game on Quest that has close to the Sales of Half Life: Alyx, its supposedly "fastest selling App" is far away from those numbers, and even its most popular game Beat Saber sold more on PC:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/546560/HalfLife_Alyx/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2637179839719680

https://store.steampowered.com/app/620980/Beat_Saber/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2448060205267927

So while platform exclusivity is bullshit Quest case overall should be good in long run.
Remember early days of PC gaming ? It was fractioned so much that people couldn't play games because gpu market has dozens of players and each gpu was not compat with some games. Then came voodoo and killed mostly the rest finally giving players a way to just buy PC game and play it without fucking around like monkey with tools in garage.
AS VR will grow PC VR will grow with it. Much like PC gaming grew despite consoles existance.
Yes, remember PC gaming? What effect did the relative popularity of console gaming have on it again and what happened to PC games, especially during that period?

We're not talking about Standardization of graphics cards and driver compatibility here. We're not even talking about console gaming. This is about as stupid as arguing that the popularity of Android phones and developers trying to capitalize on that will "help PC Gaming". Yes, if you want more shitty Mobile games/ports or gimmicky rhythm games to be developed with ~2000 era 3D graphics in the future for VR instead of PC/console quality games, then continue buying and enabling Facebook's Mobile crap. It could also remove PCVR compatibility with any upcoming product or Firmware Update and there would be nothing that you could do about it.

This is getting a VR Port soon:

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
Beat Saber is consistently the best selling PSVR game since it launched every month and the most Beat Saber sales are coming from the Oculus/Meta store. I'm 100% sure it dwarfs Alyx in terms of sales across all platforms. Everyone who owns a VR headset owns Beat Saber but only PC VR Steam users own Alyx.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Beat Saber is consistently the best selling PSVR game since it launched every month and the most Beat Saber sales are coming from the Oculus/Meta store. I'm 100% sure it dwarfs Alyx in terms of sales across all platforms. Everyone who owns a VR headset owns Beat Saber but only PC VR Stream users own Alyx.
Beat Saber is probably the most popular and Best Selling VR game if you combine all platforms: https://uploadvr.com/beat-saber-sells-4-million-copies/ vs. https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-2-million/ but its Quest Sales don't surpass and trail behind Sales made on Steam (it has 52,462 product reviews on Steam and 39.367 on the Quest Store for instance). This isn't surprising either, since it's been out for longer on Steam and the popularity and Sales it built up there and the PSVR+PC Rift Store is what made Facebook acquire the developer in 2019 in the first place: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/26/facebook-buys-beat-saber-vr-game-maker-beat-games.html

The Semi-Myth that games sell "multiple times more" (sometime even going as far as to claim 10x or 20x more) on Quest than say PC is because of Shovelware developers whose games simply don't measure up with what's on offer on PC, and Quest users penchant of buying literal garbage since there is a dearth of content still and because many of its new users lack the experience to discern what would make "worthwhile content" on the platform compared to others, for instance:

This is his most popular game, it has 3 user reviews on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/Beep2Bleep

Or:

And the deliberate misreading of things like this:

There's still no game on any singular platform that can beat say Half Life: Alyx's or Beat Saber's Sales on Steam. Nor will you find any somewhat popular PCVR games like Boneworks, Blade & Sorcery, Pavlov, Phasmophobia, No Man's Sky, The Forest etc. in most of these Sales comparisons.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom