Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Dexter

Arcane

New Horror VR Bundle for the Steam Halloween Sale, kinda Expensive though: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/22798/The_Sinister_Set_VR_Horror_Collection/

Walking Dead: S&S, The Persistence and Until You Fall Free on PlayStation Plus: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/1...lass-trouble-kingdoms-of-amalur-re-reckoning/

Facebook announced a GTA: San Andreas port for Quest 2 with no further details, this might be the "large Open World Rockstar game" that was talked about for a while likely now repurposed for Mobileshit, otherwise lots of corporate and incl000sive cringe with a touch of surveillance dystopia. Also Facebook is now rebranding as "Meta" and Oculus is dead and buried: https://www.oculus.com/blog/games-at-connect-2021/
Meta_Logo.jpg

tsj8zc9zn8w71.jpg

Abridged version:

Carmack talk in 3 hours:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Nice shareholders promotional video/Nice cult recruitment video.

They even had android for presenter !

Doktor Best

Arcane
That bit with the candle lady was next level cringe. Who needs a scented candle in the metaverse?

Blade and Sorcery Nomad wont be crossbuy so its a big meh and San Andreas sure is nice but they have shown nothing.

Well After the Fall (coop horror shooter from makers of Arizona Sunshine) releases on dec 9th so there's that.

Lets see what Carmacks has to say/show.

Venser

Erudite
Oculus Quest VR headsets to eliminate mandatory Facebook account log-in requirement

https://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-ques...andatory-facebook-account-log-in-requirement/

Seems they want to bring an alternative for business accounts at first.

"As we've focused more on work, and frankly as we've heard your feedback more broadly, we're working on making it so you can log into Quest with an account other than your personal Facebook account."

"We're starting to test support for work accounts soon, and we're working on making a broader shift here within the next year"

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

Lone echo 2 is awesome if very similar to the first one, its a safe sequel. Hope it's not the last true pc vr game, it seems like developpers are shifting toward quest 2 standalone , and valve being valve not releasing anything new.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Already punched my wife while playing VR. Its more a learning process for her than for me. Won't turn on guardian sense, it ruins muh immersion.

Venser

Erudite
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/10/30...aid-out-in-a-2018-paper-on-the-metaverse.html

Some 2018 metaverse internal 50 page concept got leaked and it sounds really bad.

"The paper sent to Andreessen in 2018 now looks like the first draft of history. It imagined users floating through a digital universe of virtual ads, filled with virtual goods that people buy. There would be virtual people that they marry, while spending as little time as possible in the so-called "meatverse" — referring to the real world because humans are flesh and blood. Rubin used the phrase "shock and awe" 12 times to describe the desired experience."

"Let's not build the Metaverse with the plan to help other Platforms accumulate and retain consumers," Rubin wrote. "Let's build the Metaverse to keep them from being in the VR business in a meaningful way at all."

Dexter

Arcane
This is coming out on SteamVR "Soon" too:

PC Gamer...

QJgF98G.jpg

What do Ubi and EA see that 2K does not...
https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...wo-interactive-ttwo-q2-2022-earnings-call-tr/
Mario Lu -- Barclays -- Analyst

Got it. And then, Facebook or Meta recently announced a partnership with Rockstar for GTA: San Andreas on the Quest. Just curious what the background of this partnership was. And do you now think either VR or building a metaverse could be growth drivers for Take-Two as a company going forward?

Strauss Zelnick -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

We're really excited about all of our partnerships. So we have numerous partnerships. We've always said that we want to be where the consumer is. And when VR first emerged as a potential technology, while I expressed some skepticism about it becoming a very broad-based consumer application, I also thought it was really exciting technically and said that we would participate.

Rockstar has already brought L.A. Noire to VR. NBA 2K has come to VR. I'm sure we'll have more VR titles in the future as well.

So we're always excited when our creative teams can flex their collective muscles and do different things and remains to be seen just how big that can be. We never make projections like that, but we're very excited about the opportunities.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Clueless suit does 180 on new thing because it caught traction despite his superficial prejudgement. I am really not surprised.

And i really don't give a shit either if it helps the industry.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Clueless suit does 180 on new thing because it caught traction despite his superficial prejudgement. I am really not surprised.

And i really don't give a shit either if it helps the industry.
They lost Leslie Benzies of rockstar Edinburgh along with other leads, Kerbal space devs, gearbox, suddenly VR is "lucrative " :lol:

Perkel

Arcane
Apparently Oculus will shortly implement their version of DLSS based on motion vectors. But instead of higher resolution their aim is to double framerate from lower framerate. So if developer chooses 60fps then it will output 120fps. Just like DLSS it will take motion vectors data and output processed frame between those real frames. On other hand input data will be handled at native refresh rate. It will be called aplication spacewarp and it will be provided to SDK very soon.

Oculus claims it can provide up to 70% better performance in games/apps.

Having carmack as head of R&D i guess has its boons.

Since Quest 2 release which featured only 72Hz and PC comp. with specific link cable:

- They added support for any USB cable even USB2.0 which is crazy
- They added first 90Hz mode and then 120hz mode
- They added Air Link removing need for usb cable at all to connect to your PC via Wifi
- They added 120hz mode to air link as well.
- They added spacewarp their version of static fovated rendering

Doktor Best

Arcane

Into the Radius released version 2.0

Was waiting for the game to ripen for quite some time. Gonna jump in today i think.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think ALL of gaming has hit a brick wall. It is the result of Electronic Arts buying up all the smaller companies and talent for 30 years. They have shaped the games industry so that a few big corporations are the only ones who can compete in the top of end of gaming. To when corporation 1 has a disaster with Cyberpunk, it doesn't really matter. Because GTA is on hold while megacorp2 are working on RDR2. And everyones favorite Elder Scrolls is on hold for a decade because megacorp3 have been busy with ESO and Fallouts. Luckily megacorp4 is EA who are sitting pretty making $5.6b USD a year. Gamers are left playing 10 year old games or the half baked shit Ubisoft sell.

The indie developers are now so small that they can barely make any good games at all, let alone some "killer app" that would get everyone to buy VR because it's just so good. I feel bad for VR but it will have it's day.

tritosine2k

Erudite
I think ALL of gaming has hit a brick wall. It is the result of Electronic Arts buying up all the smaller companies and talent for 30 years. They have shaped the games industry so that a few big corporations are the only ones who can compete in the top of end of gaming. To when corporation 1 has a disaster with Cyberpunk, it doesn't really matter. Because GTA is on hold while megacorp2 are working on RDR2. And everyones favorite Elder Scrolls is on hold for a decade because megacorp3 have been busy with ESO and Fallouts. Luckily megacorp4 is EA who are sitting pretty making $5.6b USD a year. Gamers are left playing 10 year old games or the half baked shit Ubisoft sell.

The indie developers are now so small that they can barely make any good games at all, let alone some "killer app" that would get everyone to buy VR because it's just so good. I feel bad for VR but it will have it's day.
It has also been reported that a potential Red Dead Redemption remaster is also in the works, these rumours comes from Rockstar Mag’s Chris. The source has claimed that following Dan Hauser and Leslie Benzies departure from the company, there has been a number of problems arise arise regarding the development of GTA 6.

Complacency is catching up on them and they find themselves without a golden goose, not to mention mobile is not exactly knocking on AAA gaming's door but RIPS it wide open:hearnoevil:

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
Anyone switched to a WiFi 6 Router for their Quest 2? Did it make a big difference? I'm on a exclusive 5GHz channel for mine, but it really doesn't make any difference from 2.4GHz, from what i've seen (testing with NMS, since it's the most demanding VR game that i have). Turning off that Spacewarp thing and using 120Hz instead of 72Hz makes the most beneficial impact for latency (47-50ms currently) i've noticed. I'm using Virtual Desktop.

Also, any recommendation for non VR games that are modded to be VR? There's Alien Isolation, which i must try.. And then there's the resident evil remakes (2 and 3) which looks awesome, not sure those are finished yet though.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Anyone switched to a WiFi 6 Router for their Quest 2? Did it make a big difference? I'm on a exclusive 5GHz channel for mine, but it really doesn't make any difference from 2.4GHz, from what i've seen (testing with NMS, since it's the most demanding VR game that i have). Turning off that Spacewarp thing and using 120Hz instead of 72Hz makes the most beneficial impact for latency (47-50ms currently) i've noticed. I'm using Virtual Desktop.

Also, any recommendation for non VR games that are modded to be VR? There's Alien Isolation, which i must try.. And then there's the resident evil remakes (2 and 3) which looks awesome, not sure those are finished yet though.

I never used a non wifi6 router but switching from 2.4ghz to 5ghz made a big difference to me. Do you use a seperate SSID for 5ghz? Because if not your quest will often switch to 2.4ghz. It could be the reason you don't see any difference.

NMS is optimized very poorly in VR, i wouldn't use the game for performance testing. Resident Evil 2 and 3 don't look like they are in a playable state yet. Alien Isolation VR is great.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLOL VR IS COOL

I THINK ITS LIKE NINETIES 3D OVERUSED ABD OFTEB UNNECESSARY AND AKWARD

IF THE HARDWARE AND DESIGN CATCHES UP THOUGH ITS THE FUTURE BROS

BROS NO MATTER WHAT ILL ALWAYS HAVE A BONER FOR 2D RPG WITH SEPERATE CITY AND BATTLE MAPS ALA FALLOUT AVERNUM ULTIMA ETC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom