Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

A horse of course

So Resident Evil 4 VR is great. Top notch production quality, great visuals for a quest game, gameplay is good. The 3rd person kicks are less immersionbreaking than i thought (they still should be adding a first person option maybe with a normal front kick like in blade and sorcery)

A shame its Quest exclusive. I hope someone ports the game. There are already people who managed to run the game on a Quest1 btw. Nobody knows how the performance will hold up later in the game but so far those players did not experience any framedrops.

I wanted to give it a try, but after reading about the censorship there's no way I'm paying my hard-earned Chinabucks for it.

mkultra

Augur
Ordered a Quest 2, hopefully i get it tomorrow.

Is there something i need to be able to play Alyx (i have a good gaming computer)? I can connect via network i believe, or should i order some cable, which is better?

Resident Evil 4 VR will be a must buy for me... ridiculous that it's censored but whatever. I'll just see it as "based" since it does depict the male as being sexist, and this is now censored - "men can't be sexist and it's just too unrealistic to have in a game"!

Doktor Best

Arcane

Is there something i need to be able to play Alyx (i have a good gaming computer)? I can connect via network i believe, or should i order some cable, which is better?

Resident Evil 4 VR will be a must buy for me... ridiculous that it's censored but whatever. I'll just see it as "based" since it does depict the male as being sexist, and this is now censored - "men can't be sexist and it's just too unrealistic to have in a game"!

For Airlink to perform well you need a 5ghz router in proximity to your playspace that is wired to your pc via ethernet cable. If your main router is in another room you need a dedicated router that you set up as access point. Just google recommendations, there is a cheap archer router that works perfectly fine that costs like 25 bucks or something.

mkultra

Augur

For Airlink to perform well you need a 5ghz router in proximity to your playspace that is wired to your pc via ethernet cable. If your main router is in another room you need a dedicated router that you set up as access point. Just google recommendations, there is a cheap archer router that works perfectly fine that costs like 25 bucks or something.

Ok.. thanks, i have this one:

Nighthawk R7800 - AC2600 Dual-Band WiFi Router | NETGEAR

i hope it works, i guess i can check the router settings, been ages since i did so i don't remember if there's "5 GHz". it was an expensive "gaming" router, but it's also not very recent..

My PC is wired to it, and it's in the same room as the VR will be.

https://vrscout.com/news/legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-now-fully-playable-in-vr/

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualrea...game_ocarina_of_time_vr_is_here_and_publicly/

Not embedding due to autoplay, but there's a video.

I have finished making a fully playable Ocarina of Time VR game that builds off of Kaze's first-person mod of the original game. It can be played for free, no strings attached, on a Dolphin VR emulator right now! I adapted and created a handful of Action Replay codes to significantly improve the VR experience. Draw distance is extended, culling range is reduced, the HUD is removed, and most importantly the FPS is increased to 30fps and upscaled to 90fps. Additionally, I adapted an OoT UHD texture pack and made it compatible with Dolphin VR.

This Ocarina of Time VR game is honestly an incredible experience and I encourage all Ocarina of Time fans to play it for themselves! And now, after months of work, I have finished everything to make the game an immersive experience. If you want to play OoT VR for yourself, you can follow my step-by-step guide on downloading and installing everything you need following my Pastebin below.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I may not respond immediately today after posting this because I plan on streaming a full-game playthrough today on my Twitch channel!

Ocarina of Time VR Setup Guide:

https://pastebin.com/YsJhXKDA

Doktor Best

Arcane
So those rumors about a Quest 2 pro reveal at the Oculus Connect in two days has gotten some new steam due to leaked promotional videos. Anyone who is on the fence about buying one should hold off for at least two days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qezcec/this_looks_promising/

mkultra

maybe you should keep yours in its package so you can send it back in case the pro is simply a straight upgrade for the same price.

Shame I'll never get to play this because

but it looks cool and the reviews are good

Everyone i know who owns a VR headset simply stopped feeling dizziness/nausea at some point. Stride feels way more comfortable than it should judging from videos. Its just well done and the physical movement helps a lot distracting your body.

Today the new Blade and Sorcery update launched. Still the best melee combat system in VR by far to date, really looking forward to the game having actual content.

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
So those rumors about a Quest 2 pro reveal at the Oculus Connect in two days has gotten some new steam due to leaked promotional videos. Anyone who is on the fence about buying one should hold off for at least two days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qezcec/this_looks_promising/

mkultra

maybe you should keep yours in its package so you can send it back in case the pro is simply a straight upgrade for the same price.

thanks for the heads up. i doubt it will be the same price though, in fact this 128gb version was much cheaper than the 64gb, for some reason. but i might still get the pro if its out very soon.

edit: according to people in the thread they've said it's not going to be a 2021 release + this will be more expensive (since "pro", makes sense). it looks like perhaps a march release 2022 at earliest..

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane

Pimax also announces a $2.4k HMD with 5620×2720 resolution per eye, 200Hz HDR and 200°FoV using MiniLED with Wired and Wireless capability:

ADL

Prophet
My favorite Source mod got made into an official Pavlov gamemode
Incident Report September 28, 2021:

In a covert Spetsnaz operation, the operations staging center for western Europe, Site-30 has been raided.

Several terabytes of data were stolen from Site-30 servers. Much of which consisted of weapon development research, government covert operation briefings, metallurgy test results, and the release of a high importance object. While awaiting Level 5 clearance for transfer to Site-19, AO-186-6 "The Hidden" was knowingly released by the operatives, presumably to take the asset themselves. However, they were then promptly eviscerated by AO-186-6.

Site security has since regained control of the facility, AO-186-6 escaped the premises.

The Hidden requires immediate recollection. Termination orders are pending.
a17e037b8157a7c21e68f129e65c34350a030266.png
https://steamcommunity.com/games/555160/announcements/detail/2995448569631945868

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012

BRO GET THE CABLE

MY QUEST WORKS GREAT WHEN CONNECTD

BUT IF YOU GET AIRLINK PERFORMANCE OK THE GOOD FOR YOU

Doktor Best

Arcane
As much as i like game modes that go off the beaten path, Pavlov has a SERIOUS issue with fragmentizing its playerbase. The PC playerbase is not exactly huge and now everyone is playing some goofy shit. If you look for SND you mostly only have like two servers and those are community servers with stupid p2w gameplay changes and silly premium clownskins.

Pavlov Shack has more players and its lack of modability helps keeping players engaged with standard 10 players 10 rounds search and destroy. Its a shame both modes do not have crossplay because pc pavlov obviously is superior.

mkultra

Augur

BRO GET THE CABLE

MY QUEST WORKS GREAT WHEN CONNECTD

BUT IF YOU GET AIRLINK PERFORMANCE OK THE GOOD FOR YOU

Got it yesterday. Mostly been playing Resident Evil 4 and Alyx, i also tried a little NMS (later two requires my gaming PC obviously).

The performance over wireless is stunning, no latency that i can detect (i'm picky with such things, used to playing on 1ms LCD, 120Hz, Gsync), no artifacts, resolution is great. I guess that high end gaming router i bought some years ago paid off.

I wasn't really thinking a lot about what portability does to VR, i just wanted a decently priced set with no cameras and stuff to set up.. But the portability is great. at first i was playing in my bedroom, because it's where my gaming PC is, it's where i've always played games in my home.. but i later realised, hmm why - i can play from my sofa in the living room, or in the summer i can even go out and be on the balcony (good amount of space) and play from there, take it with me to a friend. it's awesome.

The headstrap and how it sits on my head isn't great, that's the one bad thing, but i might get some third party headstrap. i mean the lower strap is way too high up, it feels like it could fall off almost. Weird thing to go so cheap on i think.

The controllers are good, i'm not sure if i can tell they've changed a lot since DK2. Maybe they're now a little bigger (i have small hands) and the material is very slippery. No biggie i guess.

Interface is really slick, everything is just so easy now (years ago i owned Oculus Rift Dev kit 2 and later the release version - kinda cumbersome to set up).

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
mkultra

If the sidestraps are too high you need to lengthen your top strap. You can adjust the angle the HMD is mounted to the strap so it aligns properly with your face. Most important is to get the vrcover facial interface as the stock interface takes away FOV and is uncomfortable. It will also increase comfort of the standard strap. If you want to spend some more you can also buy a 3rd party strap. I've heard good things about the Kiwi strap. DONT buy the elite strap. It breaks frequently and generally is not worth its price.

Poseidon00

Arcane

I use the cable and never have issues. The cable itself is fuckin huge and it takes away any potential lag or issues from going wireless. Dont even notice the cable even on the most physically demanding games like Thrill of the Fight.

Am also gonna get Resident Evil

mkultra

Augur
mkultra

If the sidestraps are too high you need to lengthen your top strap. You can adjust the angle the HMD is mounted to the strap so it aligns properly with your face. Most important is to get the vrcover facial interface as the stock interface takes away FOV and is uncomfortable. It will also increase comfort of the standard strap. If you want to spend some more you can also buy a 3rd party strap. I've heard good things about the Kiwi strap. DONT buy the elite strap. It breaks frequently and generally is not worth its price.

Thanks for the info, very useful. What's "vrcover facial interface" though, something third party or does it come with the set? there's some stuff in the box still that i didn't really check.

Doktor Best

Arcane
mkultra

Thanks for the info, very useful. What's "vrcover facial interface" though, something third party or does it come with the set? there's some stuff in the box still that i didn't really check.

The foam interface for your face. Its a third party replacement:

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-quest-foam-and-interface-basic-set/

Keep in mind though that your glasses spacer won't work with that, but i wouldnt trust the thing anyways. Better to get AMVR spacers in this case or prescription lens inserts.

mkultra

Augur

Keep in mind though that your glasses spacer won't work with that, but i wouldnt trust the thing anyways. Better to get AMVR spacers in this case or prescription lens inserts.

Says "This product can be used only on the original Oculus Quest. It will not work on Oculus Quest 2 or other headsets."

It's also not something i can find here (Sweden), so it's probably off the list for me. There's some replacement stuff on Amazon.se but its a bit crappy to order from there because they've made sure to make it very vague where it's sent from. Import duties + other stuff (handling by the post office etc) gets too expensive if its sent from US.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Says "This product can be used only on the original Oculus Quest. It will not work on Oculus Quest 2 or other headsets."

It's also not something i can find here (Sweden), so it's probably off the list for me. There's some replacement stuff on Amazon.se but its a bit crappy to order from there because they've made sure to make it very vague where it's sent from. Import duties + other stuff (handling by the post office etc) gets too expensive if its sent from US.

Not sure which one you are looking at but I use a cable for my Quest 2. Never had an issue. Could probably link you to the exact cable I have when im home

mkultra

Augur

Not sure which one you are looking at but I use a cable for my Quest 2. Never had an issue. Could probably link you to the exact cable I have when im home

Not sure why i would need the cable when it works flawlessly as it is with wireless. But the cable can be useful for other stuff i think, such as Sidequest (i think the cable is a requirement?) I've only looked into Sidequest very briefly.

Edit: ah, i put you as quoted when it was Doktor Best who did the reply, i can see why you are confused. fixed it. This is about the face foam thing.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Ah sorry i linked the wrong interface.

https://eu.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set-for-oculus™-quest-2

This is the EU store, i dont know for sure if they send to sweden but why shouldnt they? Could be worth a try to check. Its a big improvement imho honestly.

mkultra

Augur
Ah sorry i linked the wrong interface.

https://eu.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set-for-oculus™-quest-2

This is the EU store, i dont know for sure if they send to sweden but why shouldnt they? Could be worth a try to check. Its a big improvement imho honestly.

Great, thanks! I might order it.. the original stuff gives me a slight itching, if i remember correctly it was the same with the previous ones.. it's not terrible but i can tell my skin isn't a fan of the material.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Not sure why i would need the cable when it works flawlessly as it is with wireless. But the cable can be useful for other stuff i think, such as Sidequest (i think the cable is a requirement?) I've only looked into Sidequest very briefly.

Edit: ah, i put you as quoted when it was Doktor Best who did the reply, i can see why you are confused. fixed it. This is about the face foam thing.

Hey if works good wirelessly, more power to ya. Mine had noticable lag issues when wireless, but I haven't tried it since that feature was in beta.

Perkel

Arcane
Oculus Connect is today in few hours. Target Employes also posted pictures of huge Oculus boxes comingwith street dates and probably showcase parts.

Probably Quest 3 or Quest 2 Pro. There was also recent leak where they have shown Quest for business and most of electronic moved to strap at the back leaving very small googles in front.

If this is quest 3 then this might be finally time for eye tracking for FOVated rendering and huge power savings thanks to it and FPS increase all over the place.

FCup4cXXMAEEoCX

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom