Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RoboCop: Rogue City - new game from Terminator: Resistance devs

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From the trailer, however, it's clear they're making a sequel to the third movie where Robocop had a jetpack and was best friends with a cute little hacker girl who is the real hero of the story.

The trailer reminded me of one episode of a RoboCop TV series - i thought it was the 1994 one (which btw while it was more light in tone than the films, it was still a good cyberpunk TV series - or at least i remember liking it back in the 90s) but actually turns out it was the Prime Directives from 2001 - which i only caught a glimpse at some point but i do remember the city being more futuristic and having a darker tone (...also there were two robocops, which is basically how i realized it wasn't the original series :-P). Wikipedia mentions that the Prime Directives is closer in tone to the first two movies than the series, but TBH i remember nothing from it aside from the few glimpses of the city and the more futuristic style.

I should rewatch that stuff at some point, i've forgotten pretty much all of it aside from the original movie.

Pound Meat

Prophet
From the trailer, however, it's clear they're making a sequel to the third movie where Robocop had a jetpack and was best friends with a cute little hacker girl who is the real hero of the story.

The trailer reminded me of one episode of a RoboCop TV series - i thought it was the 1994 one (which btw while it was more light in tone than the films, it was still a good cyberpunk TV series - or at least i remember liking it back in the 90s) but actually turns out it was the Prime Directives from 2001 - which i only caught a glimpse at some point but i do remember the city being more futuristic and having a darker tone (...also there were two robocops, which is basically how i realized it wasn't the original series :-P). Wikipedia mentions that the Prime Directives is closer in tone to the first two movies than the series, but TBH i remember nothing from it aside from the few glimpses of the city and the more futuristic style.

I should rewatch that stuff at some point, i've forgotten pretty much all of it aside from the original movie.

If you ever wanted to watch a cheap 2000-era tv show made by Canadians, then Prime Directives is for you. They even slip that John Woo crossing guns thing in there because that's what you did back then.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you ever wanted to watch a cheap 2000-era tv show made by Canadians, then Prime Directives is for you. They even slip that John Woo crossing guns thing in there because that's what you did back then.

Not sure if you mention that as a positive or negative TBH :-P as i do remember liking the original TV series which was also Canadian and much older.

In any case, i just watched the first two movies and i think even right from the second movie the quality dropped, so perhaps it is the original that is the only outlier. Not that the second one is bad, i just get the feeling that the first was more well thought overall.

BTW in the second movie Robocop gets to drive a motorcycle for a bit so there is also that as an option the game could implement for faster movement.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the first Robocop just fucking hit it out of the park in every way: writing, directing, acting. Once you've got a masterpiece Robocop movie that completely fulfills the potential of the idea 120%, where do you go from there?

JDR13

Arcane
I didn't think there was a big drop in quality with the second movie. It was Robocop 3 that made me go "wtf?" It's hard to believe Frank Miller wrote that.

Pound Meat

Prophet
Frank Miller pretends like his script for RoboCop 2 was completely mangled so I'm sure he refuses to even acknowledge the third one, which used ideas from said script.

edit: We need a producer's cut of 2 now that Kirshner's dead. He didn't like Nancy Allen so he cut her out of the movie as much as possible even though she was in her physical prime. Was he gay? That sounds like something a gay man would do.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
I didn't think there was a big drop in quality with the second movie. It was Robocop 3 that made me go "wtf?" It's hard to believe Frank Miller wrote that.

I just finished the third movie and yeah it is a big drop in quality there to the point where in many places the plot doesn't make logical sense. Compared to the drop between the first and the second, the one between the second and the third is *way* bigger and i think the third movie just makes the second seem better in retrospect :-P

Anyway, i think i'll watch the 1994 series next. I vaguely remember it having some neat ideas, which isn't something i can say for the third movie.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Frank Miller pretends like his script for RoboCop 2 was completely mangled so I'm sure he refuses to even acknowledge the third one, which used ideas from said script.

IIRC he wrote a comic book series that shows his 'version' of the script and plot. The biggest change is that Nuke-drug (and everything related to it) is not in there. Instead there's a 'Special Ops'-division of the police (fully funded, armed and controlled by OCP) who are being used to drive citizens out of their homes by whatever means necessary, because Delta City must rise. Only Robocop can (and does) stand against them. One of the biggest psychopaths from that squad gets blown up and eventually turned into Robocop 2 (by a bombshell scientist at OCP), who is then unleashed upon the city.

Subplots regarding Alex Murphy's humanity or making Robocop more 'agreeable' are either non-existant or kept to a minimum. Also, there are no pistol-packin' 12-year olds around.

As for the Robocop-game... I don't know. Neither the Rambo or Terminator-games were that good, and while there's potential in a Robocop-game, it's very easy to screw it up.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
also, what's next?

Lethal Weapon or a Jackie Chan game?
Escape from Detroit
snake_plissken_by_fabianmonk-d8ou60k.jpg
Escape from Niggeroid

image-20160225-18284-1f8syaz.jpg

A horse of course

IIRC he wrote a comic book series that shows his 'version' of the script and plot. The biggest change is that Nuke-drug (and everything related to it) is not in there. Instead there's a 'Special Ops'-division of the police (fully funded, armed and controlled by OCP) who are being used to drive citizens out of their homes by whatever means necessary, because Delta City must rise. Only Robocop can (and does) stand against them. One of the biggest psychopaths from that squad gets blown up and eventually turned into Robocop 2 (by a bombshell scientist at OCP), who is then unleashed upon the city.

Subplots regarding Alex Murphy's humanity or making Robocop more 'agreeable' are either non-existant or kept to a minimum. Also, there are no pistol-packin' 12-year olds around.

As for the Robocop-game... I don't know. Neither the Rambo or Terminator-games were that good, and while there's potential in a Robocop-game, it's very easy to screw it up.

I enjoyed the comic book, it hit those ridiculous ott notes with scenes like the sleazy TV host getting shot and continuing broadcasts from the hospital with big-titted nurses. I also liked the femdom undertones with the female executive.

Old Hans

Arcane
who else excited to play robert cop in 2023? I CANNONT WAIT FOR ROTOBO COP. the graphics look so xtreme and good. hopefully its running on unity

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The trailer was underwhelming but the Terminator game was pretty good so Im cautiously optimistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom