Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ross's Game Dungeon (from Freeman's Mind guy)

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just got back home from a concert with a friend. We are both sitting with ice packs on our head and chin. Both of us are fans of Ross.
The guy might have a shitty upload schedule but sometimes he hits the jackpot with the upload dates.

Stokowski

Arcane
Pedantry:

The DEFCON numbers work the other way around. Five is "pretty chill". One is "OMG we're all gonna die!", so the game's "Four - we're nearly at war" is wrong. Games and movies often get this wrong.

Conspiracy:

The butterfly insignia of the game's Illuminati has a striking resemblance to the Microsoft Network icon of the time. Hmmm.

tGfUkvf.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After watching the video, the story seems pretty cool. It reminds me of the book Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds. It does not share the exact same plot, but it has a mysterious death that leads to layers of reality being peeled back, after the protagonist goes deeper into the “conspiracy”. Also, very sci-fi, that also has the theme of preservation and what is truly real.

deama

Prophet
Finished the episode. It was alright, kinda getting sick of the adventure ones though.
Is Ross getting too old to play classic mechanic/system games now?

From past videos I've always gotten the impression that he's pretty bad at games and is more interested in story/concepts rather than mechanics/gameplay.

Just glad to have another game dungeon after months of "let's save video games".

deama

Prophet
Finished the episode. It was alright, kinda getting sick of the adventure ones though.
He's a storyfag, massive lack of skill for anything highly competitive or too involving
Doesn't have to be an esports of a crazy skill based game.
There's plenty of games that don't require crazy skills, or even that high end skills, but showcase interesting systems.
Like giants citizen kabuto, sacrifice, etc...

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
His better episodes are from adventure games. I like how he dwells into the world and makes witty remarks about fashion, architecture and stuff like that. It's even better when he just drops random conspiracy facts or some fun stories from his life. My point is that he doesn't need to play hard games to make entertaining episodes. The shooters he has covered are some of the most boring GD episodes.

Ross has also said multiple times that he doesn't mind playing games on the easiest difficulty if that means he's gonna finish them. Strong storyfag tendencies indeed.

deama

Prophet
His better episodes are from adventure games. I like how he dwells into the world and makes witty remarks about fashion, architecture and stuff like that. It's even better when he just drops random conspiracy facts or some fun stories from his life. My point is that he doesn't need to play hard games to make entertaining episodes. The shooters he has covered are some of the most boring GD episodes.

Ross has also said multiple times that he doesn't mind playing games on the easiest difficulty if that means he's gonna finish them. Strong storyfag tendencies indeed.
Not sure I agree with that. His adventure games sometimes good, but he's also done good ones on games that have had mechanics/systems. Like his dungeon siege one I thought was pretty good, deus ex was damn good, outrun, killing time, conquest earth wasn't too bad, the division I liked, SiN was good, clans and hellgate london were damn good I thought, so was secret world, etc...

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, all of those are great episodes. His Deus Ex videos are some of his best. I got to know Ross from his Dungeon Siege episode and if it wasn't good I for sure wasn't gonna watch GD for years now.

But the ones I replay the most are from the adventure games he covers - Veil of Darkness, A New Beginning, The Legend of Kyrandia videos, The Black Mirror and Daemonica too. Fahrenheit and Culpa Innata also fall in that list. His humour in some of those is very on point and so is his delivery. The games also give him good material to work with.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Yeah, all of those are great episodes. His Deus Ex videos are some of his best. I got to know Ross from his Dungeon Siege episode and if it wasn't good I for sure wasn't gonna watch GD for years now.

But the ones I replay the most are from the adventure games he covers - Veil of Darkness, A New Beginning, The Legend of Kyrandia videos, The Black Mirror and Daemonica too. Fahrenheit and Culpa Innata also fall in that list. His humour in some of those is very point and so is his delivery. The games also give him good material to work with.
It's the other way round for me, dungeon siege, hellgate london, clans, deus ex, and baldies is my most replayed ones.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not sure why but when I initially saw the Baldies episodes I was thinking that the game/video would be very famous for his UK audience. Guess I was on to something there.

deama

Prophet
Not sure why but when I initially saw the Baldies episodes I was thinking that the game/video would be very famous for his UK audience. Guess I was on to something there.
I've lived in the UK for a long while, but I'm not actually from UK, unless that's fine in your theory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom