Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Best Vintage RPG Poll

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This is a lot more appropriate. My initial reaction to the current one was that Codexers were being depicted as POC.
I think it's a joke on how pro-white so many people here are, despite the vast number of them being from non-white countries, like Russia or Bulgaria.

Humanophage

Arcane
This is a lot more appropriate. My initial reaction to the current one was that Codexers were being depicted as POC.
I think it's a joke on how pro-white so many people here are, despite the vast number of them being from non-white countries, like Russia or Bulgaria.
But it is only logical that whites would tend to be more pro-white when exposed to a lot of non-whites. E.g., Russians have grown a lot more pro-white on average due to Central Asian and West Asian migration into white cities. The presence of gypsies probably motivates various other Eastern Euros like Slovaks, Romanians, Hungarians, and Bulgarians. For comparison, many of the states with the fewest POC in the US tend to be the most anti-white (Oregon, Washington, Vermont, etc.), while the whites in the most non-whites states are the most pro-white (Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.)

This is particularly the case when mobility is more difficult, so you can't engage in white flight and are forced to live next to POC.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If anything the 2D era of DOS & Amiga games is from an artistic standpoint much prettier than nu-3D era, I'm not sure what Roguey is smoking (other than the usual copium over being wrong about everything).

I was being flippant. I'm not judging these games by their graphics/art.

Mortmal

Arcane
CRPG is one of the worst hobby, stagnant ,with hardly anything released.
CRPGs are gloriously vibrant compared to the other codex favorite genre: strategy games.
I dont think so, i am still spending thousands of hours on paradox titles, their pricing policies apart, they are pretty great. And there's still very good indies like dominions, or shadow empire. I am not spending nearly the same amount of time on rpgs.

Ryzer

Arcane
If anything the 2D era of DOS & Amiga games is from an artistic standpoint much prettier than nu-3D era
Ask anyone on the street which one is better artistically between a 2D DOS era and a recent 3D game, you'll always get the same answer.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A fairly creative use for a poster to show the threat, but it's too indirect for a propaganda poster. A poster must be straightforward.

I wanted to use this one first but the vertical shape didn't look good on the frontpage :D

9144.jpg

codex88.jpg
I thought Slavs are considered by our western friends as the African Americans of Europe, so it'd be fitting.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
A fairly creative use for a poster to show the threat, but it's too indirect for a propaganda poster. A poster must be straightforward.

I wanted to use this one first but the vertical shape didn't look good on the frontpage :D

9144.jpg

codex88.jpg
I thought Slavs are considered by our western friends as the African Americans of Europe, so it'd be fitting.
can't speak for all slavs but Haitians called Poles honorary blacks
now that's ghetto

Zeriel

Arcane
If anything the 2D era of DOS & Amiga games is from an artistic standpoint much prettier than nu-3D era
Ask anyone on the street which one is better artistically between a 2D DOS era and a recent 3D game, you'll always get the same answer.

That's technological advance, not artistry.

If you showed them a painting from a 3D modeler versus the work of artists from the 90s, some of whom literally worked professionally as painters before getting involved in gaming (see for example the main artist for Lands of Lore who had a tribute movie in Lands of Lore 2 when he died during development), I really doubt you'd get the same reaction.

But certainly comparing 90s 2D art to the NWN era... it's not even close. When the 3D transition was first happening the result was fucking hideous on an objective level, compare NWN 1 to Eye of the Beholder, any DOS adventure game, etc, it's not even fucking close.

LORD.jpg

37348-neverwinter-nights-windows-screenshot-fight-club-neverwinter.jpg

Which one of these is artistically more appealing?

Ryzer

Arcane

If you showed them a painting from a 3D modeler versus the work of artists from the 90s, some of whom literally worked professionally as painters before getting involved in gaming (see for example the main artist for Eye of the Beholder who had a tribute movie in Lands of Lore 2 when he died during development), I really doubt you'd get the same reaction.

But certainly comparing 90s 2D art to the NWN era... it's not even close. When the 3D transition was first happening the result was fucking hideous on an objective level, compare NWN 1 to Eye of the Beholder, any DOS adventure game, etc, it's not even fucking close.
Nobody cares, game-wise everybody will answer the same thing for the DOS game, that it's dead-on ugly.

Zeriel

Arcane

If you showed them a painting from a 3D modeler versus the work of artists from the 90s, some of whom literally worked professionally as painters before getting involved in gaming (see for example the main artist for Eye of the Beholder who had a tribute movie in Lands of Lore 2 when he died during development), I really doubt you'd get the same reaction.

Nobody cares, game-wise everybody will answer the same thing for the DOS game, that it's dead-on ugly.

I don't care if people are ignorant. It doesn't change reality. If someone says 2+2=5, it doesn't make it correct. Most people dismissing old games never even played them, so it's like asking a politician what his opinion is of quantum dynamics.

Ryzer

Arcane
94015-the-dark-heart-of-uukrul-dos-screenshot-getting-attacked-by.png

OMG SO UGLY.

9355-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-dos-screenshot-combat.gif

HOW DO I EVEN TELL WHAT I'M LOOKING AT?

116118-might-and-magic-world-of-xeen-dos-screenshot-wells-and-fountains.png

IT'S TOO BLURRY.
99,9% of non-autistic people would say that those pictures look atrocious to watch except maybe Might And Magic's. Then again I'm not denying that those games are good but pretending they look better than recent 3D's is just downright retarded.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You have to put your mind in the era and what came before. Some looked absolutely fantastic at the time. Now nostalgia goggles can blur your sense of reality but graphics and sound alone aren't necessarily game breakers. Graphics less so than sound. If sound it too god awful I can mute.

Now if the game is frustrating via interface and general play then the game can feel like ass fast unless something else like the story and content is good. I have struggled with some games that were fucking terrible but the story and feel was drawing me to play more.

Graphics??? Lol... you gotta be fucking kidding me. I play vector line, blocks, dots, ascii, and the like. Graphical gravy is just that... gravy.

Zeriel

Arcane
94015-the-dark-heart-of-uukrul-dos-screenshot-getting-attacked-by.png

OMG SO UGLY.

9355-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-dos-screenshot-combat.gif

HOW DO I EVEN TELL WHAT I'M LOOKING AT?

116118-might-and-magic-world-of-xeen-dos-screenshot-wells-and-fountains.png

IT'S TOO BLURRY.
99,9% of non-autistic people would say that those pictures look atrocious to watch except maybe Might And Magic's. Then again I'm not denying that those games are good but pretending they look better than recent 3D's is just downright retarded.

No one said recent 3Ds, bro. That's not the conversation.

Null Null

Arbiter
One of the things I was thinking is that there's a long, long tradition of 2D figurative Western art people are drawing on, from the cave paintings at Lascaux down through realists like Millet and Lascaux, so a lot of tricks on how to make a 2D picture look 3D are already known. The early 3D stuff was limited by computing power, so it looks blocky and polygonal because that's what was easiest to render.

(There are non-Western traditions too, but you don't see these things looking, like, say Chinese landscapes with tiny little figures and detailed shading, or anime with big eyes and a small mouth.)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That is not a good looking wolf. Unless it's some weird frame snapped in the middle of an animation.

But graphics aren't the most important things. There are good modern games with bad artstyles, I am sure there are good old games with bad artstyles.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom