Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2022: Results & Cool Graphs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, what about filtering the final results next time to only include games with at least 10% participation rate? This way you could avoid some public embarrassment :)
That would exclude Ctrl Alt Ego which seems to be a quality title.
True, but it also seems to be even less of an RPG than other games on the list. Does it even have stats or anything? No inventory...
It uses a system kinda like System Shock 2, with you using rare resources to unlock new powers and abilities:
FAF0VMP.png

mondblut

Arcane
EDIT: I should add, consider what such a poll would actually look like. Probably JRPGs, mostly. Solasta: Lost Valley campaign, KotC2. Uh... that Potato Flowers game... If you remove JRPGs too like used to happen, now you have a poll of say less than 5 games most years. Possibly only one or two that might not even be all that good.

Welcome to 2000s 2010s 2020s. Time wasn't kind to the genre we have loved in 1990s.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The top 3 seem like good games, maybe I'll get to play them in ten years' time... Otherwise, pretty slim pickings. And since when does a sense and desire for fairness equate "hating money"? What Steam is doing is robbery, capitalism at its worst, and I encourage everyone to boycott it (along with Amazon and the rest).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Everyone is a capitalist when he wants to earn something, but a communist when he has to pay :lol:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Elden Ring is a "RPG" since when??!#?
Always has been.

No, really.
It's an action-RPG, and I'd say the action part is a lot more significant in it than the RPG part.
But at least partly, it's an RPG.
Is that part big enough to be on this list? Ehhhh.....

IMO, what we should do is have two votes for GOTY. The first vote just to determine which game gets into the list.
Either that or we vote for a gremium of people who will discuss and vote amongst themselves which game gets in.
That's somewhat time-intensive so I'm not sure if a normal public vote would be best here.
Have some fake democracy, you know :lol:

And then the second vote could be like it was with this GOTY. Works fine.

While it's fun for the LULZ and the butthurt, in all seriousness I think that a lot of the games in the list probably should not have been there.
I strongly doubt anyone voting for the hentai game actually played it.
I also think some folks here will have given their hand some excercise after the list was published, though...

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have said it a few times that people should be allowed to vote for whatever they want. There would be more work, but that way, only games that people actually voted for would be on the list.

You could just count votes, or let users get a certain amount of points to distribute on their chosen games.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have said it a few times that people should be allowed to vote for whatever they want. There would be more work, but that way, only games that people actually voted for would be on the list.
The problem with that approach is that people forget what they played.

I can't speak for others but I play so many different games each year that if you ask me to make a list of my favourites at the end of the year, I will have forgotten having played half of them already - naturally with a bias towards remembering the more recent ones.
Or I might remember playing a game, but would be unsure if that was the last year or the year before or...
I actually started to make my own list of games that I played in a year because of that :lol:
My guess would be I'm not the only one with that particular problem.

A curated list gets rid of that, seeing a game on the list will bring back the memory of it, if you liked it or not, etc.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
yeah I was going to say Caves of Qud also, but the codex gets upset when that game gets mentioned because they don't like the politics of the devs.
Well the game content itself is proudly pozzed.

"Caves of Qud devs are pozzed but the game is good and easy to pirate"

I think that if you use HIV status as a slur we can do without your bigot bucks. Enjoy all the Jewish folklore, queer themes, and leftist values we put in the art you're mooching

I don't think that mocking people based on elevated fatality rates is a thing you can do if you are a decent person. That is an evil thing to do. That's bully culture and it's craven. Pathetic.

but no we should definitely be obligated to host a Discord for these people. Fantastic idea.

this is inspired in part by me tripping over the RPGCodex thread about Caves of Qud, which is a real shitshow of reactionary garbage and has been talking shit (and spreading lies!) about the dev team for literal years lol

Reactionary is not an argument more like qaves of leftwing extremism.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Elden Ring is a "RPG" since when??!#?
Always has been.

No, really.
It's an action-RPG, and I'd say the action part is a lot more significant in it than the RPG part.
But at least partly, it's an RPG.
Is that part big enough to be on this list? Ehhhh.....

IMO, what we should do is have two votes for GOTY. The first vote just to determine which game gets into the list.
Either that or we vote for a gremium of people who will discuss and vote amongst themselves which game gets in.
That's somewhat time-intensive so I'm not sure if a normal public vote would be best here.
Have some fake democracy, you know :lol:

And then the second vote could be like it was with this GOTY. Works fine.

While it's fun for the LULZ and the butthurt, in all seriousness I think that a lot of the games in the list probably should not have been there.
I strongly doubt anyone voting for the hentai game actually played it.
I also think some folks here will have given their hand some excercise after the list was published, though...
Agreed. Otherwise, we might as well as have Call of Duty on there since you can "level-up" your guns lol.

Shin

Cipher
The site should have a simple page for every 'rpg' that gets released (with some simple tags) on which users can vote/leave a review. Then we can argue over whether its a rpg or not all year, and at the end of the year it should be easy to compile a list of favorites, including subcategories like 'best action rpg', 'best rpg for storyfags' and so on.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The site should have a simple page for every 'rpg' that gets released (with some simple tags) on which users can vote/leave a review. Then we can argue over whether its a rpg or not all year, and at the end of the year it should be easy to compile a list of favorites, including subcategories like 'best action rpg', 'best rpg for storyfags' and so on.
That might be too much work, but it would be a good idea to include a poll to all existing game threads where that game can be rated, eg. 1 to 5 or “excellent, good, mediocre, subpar, horrible“. Quite a bit of work too, if any of the mods are up for it.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
That might be too much work, but it would be a good idea to include a poll to all existing game threads where that game can be rated, eg. 1 to 5 or “excellent, good, mediocre, subpar, horrible“. Quite a bit of work too, if any of the mods are up for it.
you'll get flocks of rate hipsters who're going to go on lengthy diatribes about how 3 is a very high note and that in their personal rating system mediocre means magnificent because 4 is reserved only for gorasul and 5 is a hypothetical rate

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you'll get flocks of rate hipsters who're going to go on lengthy diatribes about how 3 is a very high note and that in their personal rating system mediocre means magnificent because 4 is reserved only for gorasul and 5 is a hypothetical rate
I rate your post 3/5.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

You could just count votes, or let users get a certain amount of points to distribute on their chosen games.
The value of the Codex's Game of the Year polls is precisely that they utilize a proper rating system rather than asking people to cast one vote over a large number of options. Also the Bayesian adjustment, even if it could be better applied. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom