Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very unexpected result. I don't think anyone expected BG3 not to be number one.

Also, anyone claiming Jagged Alliance 3 isn't an RPG clearly hasn't played it. It's comfortably an RPG by any definition that doesn't also exclude games like Wizardry, Might and Magic or Gold Box. JA1 and 2 are debatable, 3 isn't.

So either BG3 is far worse than D:OS1, or 2024 Codex is far worse than 2014 Codex. Very hard to tell.
Why not both?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Funny how the results would turn if we got another top 110 RPGs poll since it's not affected by downvoting :M
Disco Elysium and Cyberpunk 2077 would finally claim their rightful positions in top 10 and 20, respectively.
grimace-clint-eastwood.gif

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny how the results would turn if we got another top 110 RPGs poll since it's not affected by downvoting :M
Disco Elysium and Cyberpunk 2077 would finally claim their rightful positions in top 10 and 20, respectively.

How in the F would CP77 manage that? Most of the games content is worse than oblivions, having a few cool main quest missions does not alleviate it. It would be huge decline.
DE should be in the top 20, that is warranted though.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Honestly, not worth the effort. For all their effort to downvote BG3, they merely managed to budge it to place 2.
But I gave it a 5.
I admire the King Troll effort put in of rating all the 160 games and NOT doing it to downvote BG3 like low level trolls do.
It definitely shows that the accusation of trolling against BG 3 is not warranted. There will always be trolls, if people are only willing to clean up those who disagree with them while endorsing those who agree and we acted on that narrative then we could just stop voting altogether.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Most of the games content is worse than oblivions, having a few cool main quest missions does not alleviate it.

The few good main quest missions aren't cyberpunk's best part, the janky kind of small scale deus ex/bloodlines locations the gigs throw at you are. And those don't force you to endure overly long cut-scenes which makes them even better compared to almost all similar locations the main quest throws at you (only the warehouse infiltration mission had an ok ratio of cutscene to gameplay, the clouds or how was the brothel called on the other hand was horrible with this).

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The really concerning part about that list, aside of rusty not voting, is that a lot of users voted for only about 3-5 games.
How in the F would CP77 manage that? Most of the games content is worse than oblivions, having a few cool main quest missions does not alleviate it. It would be huge decline.
It has decent graphics and it's an RPG. I hated its story however. If I want to play downer stuff, I can return to politics for free and they might even pay me.

DE is somewhat decent adventure game.

Basically CP77 at about 100 place, and DE (while it's better) can't qualify.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Most of the games content is worse than oblivions, having a few cool main quest missions does not alleviate it.

The few good main quest missions aren't cyberpunk's best part, the janky kind of small scale deus ex/bloodlines locations the gigs throw at you are, and they don't force you to endure overly long cut-scenes.

I played it, fully i might add. It ended up one of those games you play while listening to a Podcast or something. I just remember driving from gig point to gig point shooting a few guys (or whatever) and getting some rewards.

Maybe it's unfair but in my memories it just and amalgamation of boring "sandbox" level content, it could have been a great game.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
The really concerning part about that list, aside of rusty not voting, is that a lot of users voted for only about 3-5 games.
It has decent graphics and it's an RPG. I hated its story however. If I want to play downer stuff, I can return to politics for free and they might even pay me.

DE is somewhat decent adventure game.

Basically CP77 at about 100 place, and DE (while it's better) can't qualify.
Yes, in the top 100 for cp sounds reasonable enough.

I disagree on DE but that is a controversial topic here on the 'dex.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Maybe it's unfair but in my memories it just and amalgamation of boring "sandbox" level content, it could have been a great game.

It depends how you played them, since you could just brute force it and then it became typical mole popping not dissimilar from the police scanner blue icon filler content. But if you tried to find back doors, alternative entrances, used things like the leg implants for jumping, used haxx of environmental objects for distractions and stealth, you could see often then designers really tried to accommodate more than one approach/skill type in the vast majority of cases, with there being at least 2 if not more paths to the objective, not that far off from how Bloodlines did it (Deus Ex's level design is orders of magnitude better than both in this, but cyberpunk is quite close to how Bloodlines did it, and in some cases arguably better). You would think they would half-ass it and it would be filler content, but it seems more polished in hindsight in that area than in pretty much every other, including the main quest with its almost non-existent branching.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

It depends how you played them, since you could just brute force it and then it became typical mole popping not dissimilar from the police scanner blue icon filler content. But if you tried to find back doors, alternative entrances, used things like the leg implants for jumping, used haxx of environmental objects for distractions and stealth, you could see often then designers really tried to accommodate more than one approach/skill type in the vast majority of cases, not that far off from how Bloodlines did it (Deus Ex's level design is orders of magnitude better than both in this).

Yeah when I meant i played through it I meant it, first I played my hacker/stealth character through the main quest and my second playthrough was a Gorilla arms Brawler. Maybe I have gimped my fun out of the game this way. But it is what it is.

user

Savant

It depends how you played them, since you could just brute force it and then it became typical mole popping not dissimilar from the police scanner blue icon filler content. But if you tried to find back doors, alternative entrances, used things like the leg implants for jumping, used haxx of environmental objects for distractions and stealth, you could see often then designers really tried to accommodate more than one approach/skill type in the vast majority of cases, with there being at least 2 if not more paths to the objective, not that far off from how Bloodlines did it (Deus Ex's level design is orders of magnitude better than both in this, but cyberpunk is quite close to how Bloodlines did it, and in some cases arguably better). You would think they would half-ass it and it would be filler content, but it seems more polished in hindsight in that area than in pretty much every other, including the main quest with it's almost non-existent branching.

Compared to the rest of the game? I don't know because I was bored to tears and quit after that initial pursuit/robot/room fancy action sequence.
I rolled a hacker for the main game with realistic combat and economy mods but never used distractions - felt they didn't make an actual difference.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Pleasantly surprised to see there's enough test flowing around here to at least keep a drama for teenage girls out of the top spot.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Compared to the rest of the game? I don't know because I was bored to tears and quit after that initial pursuit/robot/room fancy action sequence.

Can't blame you, the main quest is guilty of being another creation of people who would rather make movies than games. If it's not overly long cut-scenes it's a (poorly) scripted railroaded sequence or worse - a braindance section. I guess this is why the gigs seem so good to me, those people most likely didn't have the time or didn't care about them so they didn't get infected with the cinematic virus and actual game designers were in charge.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It's good that i didn't offer to eat my shoes if Bear Sex 3 wouldn't win. Are you people insane? This game has everything. EVERYTHING.

However, I am more surprised by the game that made it to 1st place. I was certain that only Rogue Trader has chance with BS3. Strange world we live in indeed.

I am not surprised though that some butthurt individuals accuse people of downvoting BS3. This happens every time, the name of the game changes, that's all. For the record, I didn't play it, didn't vote it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who the fuck would give negative votes to Caves of Lore!?
It's pretty easy to look up all the data is right there: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zCi-lAqiVEgM5aREVbedVFLym8/edit#gid=389156911
Hellraiser
racofer
BING XI LAO
Anubioz
Longes
Karwelas
Alienman
Tatzelwurm
covr
ghostdog
Scruffy
Don Peste
Foxtrix
Angelo85
sser
Grauken
Baron Dupek
Agesilaus
GloomFrost
Rick'
Sentinel
Stavrophore
MpuMngwana
Falksi
Catacombs
Frank Capicoli
Strange Fellow
Tweed
Ryzer
Inhabitants of Khorinis
notpl
General Kenobi
Nemelex
How do people have the time to play as many games as they "claim" to?! I voted on 10 that I actually played and finished but it's truly 8 as I just couldn't get far into Starfield or Cyberpunk and stopped playing them. I mean I haven't even had time to play Colony Ship yet!

Also, WHO THE HECK ARE MOST OF THESE PEOPLE?!!!! I don't recognize most of the usernames anymore... I miss the good ol' days... :negative:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with giving a low score to a game you haven't played, if that game is obviously a turd (e.g. Starfield). Maybe the poll ought to include an "I didn't waste my time with this because it looks like trash" option.

For the record, I only played and voted for one game on the list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom