Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex People's Awards: Best RPGs

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When you have ties in a top ten list isn't it usually proper to skip a number or two after? For example a 3-way tie at #9 would make the next game #6. Forgive me if this was mentioned in the endless comments I haven't read yet, or if it's explained somewhere I missed.

In any event list is pretty good. I need to finally play ToEE.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
When you have ties in a top ten list isn't it usually proper to skip a number or two after? For example a 3-way tie at #9 would make the next game #6. Forgive me if this was mentioned in the endless comments I haven't read yet, or if it's explained somewhere I missed.

So, why are those lists inconsistent? console-trash did it right (if two games hit, say place 5, the next game will be placed at 7 - this is not the case with PC cRPG list).

PC has only three games in the same spot at #9, so for ease of use and to make room for the games, we bundled them together and they didn't "cost" a spot each. Consoles had many more instances of games receiving a similar amount of votes, so that list is formatted differently by necessity.

Snikt

Novice
More like best RPGs of the late 90s/early 00s (and New Vegas).

This is so clearly a 20-something'er's idea of the top RPGs of all time.

I am disappointed in your level of :obviously: Codex. Smells of :decline:
It's a class issue, not an age issue. The number of people who had computers in the 80s and 90s was proportionally lower than the 2000s because they cost more money and did less. Also consider a lot of people who post here are from countries less affluent than Western Europe and the US. Until recently, computers were luxuries of the middle class.
Not to mention if you could afford a more expensive computer, you got the best versions of games:

n4z2o.png

for richfags

300gpeb.png

for poorfags

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The thing was that many here felt like rpg's (and gaming in general) was taking a turn for the worst.
Yes, for the worst compared to what THEY considered the top - ie Fallout. That hasn't changed much, as evidenced by the poll results.

Of course "the worst compared to Fallout" is ALSO worse than anything that came before Fallout, but that's not the point.

I'm not sure I agree with you on your assumption though. I mean maybe it WAS assumed the old posters knew the oldies inside out, but I would think that say VD would post at least once in an old Wizardry or M&M or Phantasie or whatever thread at some point over 10 years if he had any interest in those games. Of course it's entirely his prerogative not to, but again this reinforces the point that this place's history is very specific and it's always centered about late 90s games. Not that I mind, in fact I'm glad, because I kept postponing Fallout until I got bullied enough on here to actually play it, and I don't regret a thing.

Mortmal

Arcane

It's a class issue, not an age issue. The number of people who had computers in the 80s and 90s was proportionally lower than the 2000s because they cost more money and did less. Also consider a lot of people who post here are from countries less affluent than Western Europe and the US. Until recently, computers were luxuries of the middle class.

Thats true too, so let's restrict from voting people under 30 and the riff raff without, lets say, at least 100k$/ euros on bank accounts . That way we will have a refined and :obviously: rpg list .

Lorica

Educated

Thats true too, so let's restrict from voting people under 30 and the riff raff without, lets say, at least 100k$/ euros on bank accounts . That way we will have a refined and :obviously: rpg list .

That won't do to keep out the nouveau riche out and you need people who were affluent kids. Really, the only solution is that every Codexer submit his entire family's tax returns for the past forty years to have a chance at being considered worthy of voting.

Mortmal

Arcane

That won't do to keep out the nouveau riche out and you need people who were affluent kids. Really, the only solution is that every Codexer submit his entire family's tax returns for the past forty years to have a chance at being considered worthy of voting.

That too, and a genealogic tree, but lets be reasonable , tracing back only to the 18th century , as earlier would put fellow americans at disadvantage., since they were mostly born of deported convicts and whores.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

That too, and a genealogic tree, but lets be reasonable , tracing back only to the 18th century , as earlier would put fellow americans at disadvantage., since they were mostly born of deported convicts and whores.
Don't forget religious nutjobs :rpgcodex:

I think we'll need literacy tests too, even with good breeding, one needs to apply oneself to maintain his mental vigor.

R@S

Scholar

Don't forget religious nutjobs :rpgcodex:

I think we'll need literacy tests too, even with good breeding, one needs to apply oneself to maintain his mental vigor.
I have traced my lineage back to the tenth century and Harald Blåtand, and I've had a computer since the mid 80's. Does that mean my vote'll count more than yours?

Severian Silk

So, why are those lists inconsistent? console-trash did it right (if two games hit, say place 5, the next game will be placed at 7 - this is not the case with PC cRPG list).

PC has only three games in the same spot at #9, so for ease of use and to make room for the games, we bundled them together and they didn't "cost" a spot each. Consoles had many more instances of games receiving a similar amount of votes, so that list is formatted differently by necessity.
Excuses. Codex just don't want to admit they're wrong.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
One thing I don't get is why BG1 ranks so high. I mean, Icewind Dale and BG2, fine, the combat is quite good if you like that sort of thing. But BG1 is fundamentally a banalshitboring endeavor, why does it get so many votes.

Also, Morrowind and especially NV ahead of MotB is truly decline.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The method of this vote means that the ranking doesn't really mean what most people are interpreting it to mean. 25 games is a lot of games. I don't think most reasonable people would say BG2 in the top 25 is a travesty. So a bunch of people think it was a top 25 RPG they played and put it on the list.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ARCANUM IS THE GREATEST RPG OF ALL TIME.

...And how the hell did Tactics Ogre: The Kight of Lodis beat Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This has been a delightful thread to skim through. Soon I'm going to be revisiting Icewind Dale w/Heart of Winter for the first time in over a decade and I'm going to analyze the fuck out of it, especially Sawyer's areas. I bet I enjoy it more than a lot of those 80s and 90s piles some of ya'll keep holding up as better. :smug:

Also Chrono Trigger and FF6 as best JRPGs ever? Seriously? Sounds like the sum of storyfans plus nostalgia.

laclongquan

Arcane

Take a care on how you phrase it or you will get deported to Witzwatch without knowing why.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I didn't start playing crpgs until I bought my first computer around '98. So I missed out on most of the oldies and am too lazy to go digging them out of their graves to check'em out. When I finally get around to it they will probably be on par with the games I like, but crude interfaces just bug the hell out of me (fucking BGS's console trash UI makes me rage).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The very first CRPG's I played were Eye of the Beholder 2 and Wizardry 7. And those two are still among my favorites. Then I was hooked on Realms of Arkania 2 and, yes even Fargo's Stonekeep.

There was a period of serious decline in the later 90's until Fallout and the other Infinity-engine games like PST came out. And then came THE BIG DECLINE of the '00.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom