Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex People's Awards: Best RPGs

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maybe people are finally seeing Arcanum for what it is.

It's a list of popularity, dumbass. Where the fuck is BaK more popular than IWD?

And how is Fallout 2 a good rpg? It’s fun and all, but it’s not even close to stuff like… uh… even new vegas… or gothic 2 for that matter.
:lol: Right.

so "best" means "more popular"? right.
Where does it say "best"? How could a popular vote list like this even list games based on their quality?
right in the title
Grunkers gonna Grunk, I suppose

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
i dont remember voting in this?

Luzur
Pool Of Radiance
Ultima V
Ultima VII
Knights of the Chalice
Elder Scrolls: Daggefall
Might & Magic
Might & Magic II
Might & Magic III
Might & Magic World of Xeen
Might & Magic VI
Might & Magic VII
Might & Magic VIII
Fallout
Fallout II
Fallout: New Vegas
Gothic II
Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Darksun Shattered Lands
Dark Sun II

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

It's a list of popularity, dumbass. Where the fuck is BaK more popular than IWD?

And how is Fallout 2 a good rpg? It’s fun and all, but it’s not even close to stuff like… uh… even new vegas… or gothic 2 for that matter.

Where does it say "best"? How could a popular vote list like this even list games based on their quality?
right in the title
here's your "dumbass", you forgot to take it with you.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The staff commentary was kind of bland and too concise if I'm going to be brutally honest.

The comments on Deus Ex were the best. Everyone just talked about the game, focusing on mechanics, but also getting to the heart of why it's fun. With the other games you didn't really touch on the "fantasy" that the games provide.

Too much commentary on the rankings (both absolute and relative). It is not interesting to read people bitching about why X should be ranked higher than Y (see: this thread). You guys should have just used the rankings as a jumping off point for discussing why people like/don't like the game. Which you mostly did, but not always.

Themadcow

Augur

9691.png

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, let's add restrictions to prevent people from voting on what they actually want to. The list will be worthless but hey at least it'll make us look monocled and shit.
I have a proposal. Instead of doing games of the decade, the codex should have half-and-half lists. '85-'95, '95-'05, and soon '05'-'15. If you do one each year, that would actually work out perfectly (and cover all the kickstarters). I think this covers the different eras of computer gaming quite well, and would give an interesting historical perspective.

If you weirdos want to list games from before '85, that's your problem.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The staff commentary was kind of bland and too concise if I'm going to be brutally honest.

The comments on Deus Ex were the best. Everyone just talked about the game, focusing on mechanics, but also getting to the heart of why it's fun. With the other games you didn't really touch on the "fantasy" that the games provide.

I think that's because on an RPG site, the reasons why a pure RPG is fun are known to all. A shooter hybrid demands more explanation.

tuluse

Arcane

I think that's because on an RPG site, the reasons why a pure RPG is fun are known to all. A shooter hybrid demands more explanation.
If we're assuming that everyone is intimately familiar the games listed, why bother with commentary? Also, I think the fantasy being sold by Torment, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and Temple of Elemental Evil are all quite different.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If we're assuming that everyone is intimately familiar the games listed, why bother with commentary? Also, I think the fantasy being sold by Torment, Fallout, Baulder's Gate, and Temple of Elemental Evil are all quite different.

Personally I was interested in a mechanical analysis and not really concerned with the "fantasy" at all. Perhaps Deus Ex's mechanics are more closely intertwined with its "fantasy", though.

And it's Baldur's dammit

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

right in the title
Keep it and share with who named this newspost.

tuluse

Arcane
Personally I was interested in a mechanical analysis and not really concerned with the "fantasy" at all. Perhaps Deus Ex's mechanics are more closely intertwined with its "fantasy", though.
Well I did ask for both ;). It could be interesting to see what different people got from the same game.

And it's Baldur's dammit
:oops:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This list does not appear to have a Gothic game on it anywhere, and is therefore invalid. Alright boys, tear it down and try again!

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

right in the title
own up to it like a man, after being wrong don't also be a pussy

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

right in the title
own up to it like a man, after being wrong don't also be a pussy
I am not wrong. Not my fault you don't read the original thread and overreact over words like the rest of the codex.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
what's the point of making lists like these when almost everyone who reads them has already heard of and fully experienced almost all of the games on them? "let's take the pool of the only ten games discussed with any regularity on this site and make a list out of them!" seems like the only function of a list like this is to fizz up the nerd rage from people who can PROVE MATHEMATICALLY that FALLOUT 2 HAS MORE C&C THAN FALLOUT 1 or whatever.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's actually not a bad idea to make a Codex Top 10 Classic RPGs.
If we are gonna do something like this, it should be by selected monocled gentleman... people that actually played all/most of the games, or the same problem/butthurt will happen: "waaahhhh Wasteland wins just because of recent popularity, while gems like Lord British unreleased first game never get's all the love it deserves..."
You're probably right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom