Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex People's Awards: Best RPGs

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
One thing to consider is how the late 90's-00's game are without a doubt the best of their time, while before there was so much fucking choice that votes split among their favorites.

Just look at the console voting for a more clear view; there are so many JRPGs that people like that after #6 the votes split completly... we had votes for 255 different games... 119 of them with only vote. It's as if each voter liked 2 games that no one else voted for! That doesn't mean there aren't good JRPGs besides the top 10, but that each of them pleases a different kind of player, and each person has his favorite.

The PC list is the same thing, while Fallout is almost konsensus with 189 votes, Desu Ex at #12 has less than half the votes... is not that people don't like older games, is that everyone likes a different one.

If we did a franchise voting, no doubt that M&M would score very highly, but it's hidden on the list due everyone voting for a different game of the series, same thing that happens with Pokémon on the console list.

Good point.

Syl

Cipher
I actually just did that poll on my own out of sheer curiosity. Since the last one I did forced you to only list 5 games as your top 5, that was fucking brutal. I was curious how such a list would turn out if given a chance to vote for your top 20.
Next time, ask people to list ALL the games they have played and then pick their favorites. This way we'll know if they really played the older games and choose not to vote for them.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I actually just did that poll on my own out of sheer curiosity. Since the last one I did forced you to only list 5 games as your top 5, that was fucking brutal. I was curious how such a list would turn out if given a chance to vote for your top 20.
Next time, ask people to list ALL the games they have played and then pick their favorites. This way we'll know if they really played the older games and choose not to vote for them.
That would be unreasonable as you'd have have to split it up into different categories or weigh the votes of individuals differently based on what they've played.

The best way to deal with it is not to take the lists too seriously.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I look at the console list and I see that one of the most acclaimed and best aged games of all time, Suikoden 2, doesn't even feature. The kicker with Suikoden II being that it was only released once (no PSN, no porting) and there are such a low volume of disks in circulation that 2nd hand copies trade for over $150 on ebay. On the other side of the coin, the mass produced and widely ported titles are there in abundance.
Suikuden II got only 3 votes, while Super Mario RPG, a far more popular title and still praised & mentioned to this day only got 1 vote (mine). Is all down to the user base you're pooling, and people here clearly think that Suikuden I is better than II.

Gozma

Arcane
Deus Ex/SS2/JA2 get a lot of split because of the "What is an RPG???" thing. I personally don't vote them on RPG shit like this despite liking them all a lot, yet I will vote something like Isles of Terra/Xeen even though it's not really any less different from other consensus RPGs than those.

I acknowledge here that I don't have a concrete argument to do that except I want more people on the Codex to try (early) M&M games if they haven't

Monty

Arcane
It'll be interesting to look back on this debate in a few years when the idea of playing a game by sitting at a PC with a mouse will be regarded much as we regard dos-based text games now. There'll just be a few of us in our basements with our antique machines moaning about decline.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
where the fuck was voting that i did not know anything about it? what the fuck is this?

Themadcow

Augur
I look at the console list and I see that one of the most acclaimed and best aged games of all time, Suikoden 2, doesn't even feature. The kicker with Suikoden II being that it was only released once (no PSN, no porting) and there are such a low volume of disks in circulation that 2nd hand copies trade for over $150 on ebay. On the other side of the coin, the mass produced and widely ported titles are there in abundance.
Suikuden II got only 3 votes, while Super Mario RPG, a far more popular title and still praised & mentioned to this day only got 1 vote (mine). Is all down to the user base you're pooling, and people here clearly think that Suikuden I is better than II.

No, Suikoden 1 is the more widely available (PSN download, PS3 and PSP compatible) title whereas Suikoden 2 has been played by far less people worldwide. Go to any Suikoden community where people have generally played both titles and there is an overwhelming opinion that Suikoden 2 is the better title in every respect, not that Suikoden 1 wasn't good in it's own right. That's also the consensus of pretty much every critic 'best of' list you'll find that contains the titles.

Here's a poll of 'which is the best in the series' from Suikosource:

Suikoden I - Gate Rune War
poll_left.gif
poll_center.gif
poll_right.gif
7% [ 10 ]
Suikoden II - Dunan Unification War
poll_left.gif
poll_center.gif
poll_right.gif
55% [ 77 ]
Suikoden III - Second Fire Bringer War
poll_left.gif
poll_center.gif
poll_right.gif
19% [ 26 ]
Suikoden IV - Island Liberation War
poll_left.gif
poll_center.gif
poll_right.gif
6% [ 8 ]
Suikoden V - Sun Rune War
poll_left.gif
poll_center.gif
poll_right.gif
14% [ 19 ]

It's not even a close thing. People who have played most of the titles (even considering the relative difficulty of obtaining S2) massively prefer S2.

S2 is a far better game, yet ranks lower on the Codex list because it's not as widely available as S1. It doesn't mean S1 is better than S2 because it simply isn't.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
New Vegas over Gothic? People really need to get MCA's cock out of their mouths.

Mortmal

Arcane
The ist is better than IGN one , thats the point of it . A few weird things altough, serpent isle rated lower than ultima 7, when it was clearly superior. VTM and deus x ranking still very high for action games. We should make a rpg list for elderlies, no one under 30, no youths, allowed to vote, that should generate a more accurate list .

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grunker Wizardry created a formula that to this day can be highly entertaining with almost zero changes. Baldur's Gate created a formula that to this day is Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2. Even today, Wizardry has great tactical combat, party creation, and puzzle solving. Baldur's gate has generic maps, generic story, and popamole RTwP. BG was great for its time at capturing a certain feel, but to me feels older than pong by today's standards. This is because the things BG wanted to be good at like immersion and ease of play have been surpassed by latter day BW games.The new Bioware is nothing more than the destination BG was headed toward. I'm not trolling, and I know there is a difference. I know The old Bioware balanced their games a lot better than their recent stuff. I'm also fairly certain that this balanced approach was a product of limitations and never truly succeeded at doing anything other than making a genre more accessible to the general public. The game had a poor story, poor combat, poor party customization, and by today's standards a poor interface. I love roaming around an isometric world. I love it. I can also in all seriousness find far more redeeming qualities in old Sir Tech than old Bioware. You're not wrong by liking Baldur's Gate more, Grunker. You were their target audience. It makes sense. We all were, including me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Took you a while to make this newspost.

We decided to go with the "some people talk about the games"-shit. PC-guys responded within 3 months, which was already a lot. Turns out we didn't have that many recognizable posters who had actually played all of the Console ones though. That took forever, until felipepepe found Clockwork Knight. On top of this, I was doing report on Expeditions: Conquistador at the same time, which ensured I couldn't really hunt people down myself.

TL;DR: We're a bunch of lazy cunts.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
S2 is a far better game, yet ranks lower on the Codex list because it's not as widely available as S2. It doesn't mean S1 is better than S2 because it simply isn't.
Bro, this is a popular vote, of course not everyone played all the titles... Valkyiria Chronicles should definetly be higher on the list, but not everyone has a PS3 & money to try it out, while everyone can cheaply buy older games or even emulate them...

Themadcow

Augur
That's why I'm objecting to the use of 'best' on the article page. If it stuck to 'most popular' then I'd be doing some actual work rather than arguing the toss in this thread.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've played most of the consolefag games, but didn't post due to certain "reservations".

pan

Learned
Wow, I can only get to number two on the list before rolling my eyes in shame. Good job on having shitty taste cockdex:killit:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting that nobody has anything to say about the staff's opinions on the games, though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there's anything that shows that the 'dex's taste has deteriorated, it's that Arcanum is not in the top 3. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom