Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex People's Awards: Best RPGs

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
BEST CRPGS LIST MAED BY ZED 2013 EDITION:
FALLOUT
BALDUR'S GATE 2
PLANESCAPE: TORMENT

FALLOUT HAS THE BEST REACTIVITY BASED ON PLAYER CHARACTER CONFIGURATION AND ITS A COOL INTRODUCTION TO THE WASTELAND WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE.
BG2 IS LIKE PLAYING A PRETTY SHITTY FANTASY NOVEL BUT IT'S FUN BECAUSE IT'S INTERACTIVE. YOU CAN ALSO MAKE INTERRACIAL SEX WITH VICONIA AND SHE IS LIKE THE BEYONCE OF DROWS.
PST IS LIKE A MIX OF THE TWO EXCEPT YOU MAX WIS/CHA/INT INSTEAD OF FUCKING AROUND WITH A SKILL SYSTEM AND THEN YOU ROLL ON EASY CUZ COMBAT IS SHIT ANYWAY. MORTE IS FUNNY.

BEST JRPGS 4 GIRLS CONSOLE TRASH LIST:
CHRONO TRIGGER
FINAL FANTASY 9

SORRY THERE ARE ONLY 2 GOOD JAP CONSOLE RPGS

CHRONO TRIGGER IS TRIPPY AS SHIT AND WHILE THE COMBAT CAN BE PRETTY TEDIOUS IN CERTAIN AREAS, IT CAN ALSO BE PRETTY FUN ESPECIALLY WITH THE SYNERGIES AND SHIT WOOOO FLAME WHIRLWIND.
FINAL FANTASY 9 HAS PRETTY COOL STORYTELLING IN THAT YOU CAN SWAP BETWEEN CHARACTERS AND VIEW EVENTS THAT HAPPEN TO OTHER CHARACTERS IN THE BACKGROUND. IT'S ALSO PRETTY FUNNY. I LIKE THE CARD GAME TOO, AND THE MUSIC IS GREAT.

BEST NON-RPGS FOR PC:

GRIM FANDANGO FUNNIEST SHIT EVER
DEUS EX NOT AN RPG YOU FAGS
THE MOVIES FUNNY SHIT FROM MOLYNEUX, HIS BEST GAME BY FAR
EUROPA 1404 THE GUILD BEST DYNASTY-BASED GAME EVER FUCK CRUSADER KINGS

THERE ARE MORE GOOD GAMES BUT ILL GO TO BED NOW MAYBE ILL UPDATE TOMORROW

END TRANSMISSION

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
My first RPG was Betrayal at Krondor... I was a kid and played it for years, slowly learning it, and then after some time I borrowed Darklands from a cousin, but was too young & poor english reader to do shit in that game. :P

Lorica

Educated
An oldfag in full glory. Joke list shows fewer lapses in taste than the Codex poll.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I think mine was Neverwinter Nights. :oops: I remember watching my brothers play Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and MM 6 and 7 a lot too. My first completed one was Morrowind in 2011.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I didn't start playing crpgs until I bought my first computer around '98. So I missed out on most of the oldies and am too lazy to go digging them out of their graves to check'em out. When I finally get around to it they will probably be on par with the games I like, but crude interfaces just bug the hell out of me (fucking BGS's console trash UI makes me rage).
This is why you should have started with the classics... I for example got hooked into this genre 4 or 5 years ago after playing Morrowind (before that I only played some JRPGs and MMOs, ugh) and immediately downloaded a bunch of old DOS and Apple II games. Now I can enjoy old stuff without much problem (playing some Magic Candle right now) while preparing myself to "the big decline of the 00's" (I really hope the codex was exaggerating a bit, but after playing Oblivion...).
[/shameless brofist harvest]

laclongquan

Arcane
My first RPG is actually Fallout 1. Abandoned it at Vault 15 due to weak ass lighting to find shit on the ground (plus skip the whole Vault 13 side quest). Tried RPG again later (one month) with Fallout 2 since surely if it's newer it's better. Thank god for that. I replayed it quite a times before I can survive The Den and the surrounding area, running like hell from encounters with slaver encounters. Only returned to F1 after finishing Fallout 2 twice and feeling bored.

fallout 2 --- Baldur's Gate 1: also abandoned
|-----Torment: straight on.

Back tothe list: nostalgia is strong in this one.

KickAss

Augur
Mine was U8. I didn't know anything about ultima when I played it. I still like it even after playing other, better RPGs.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, my family could not afford a PC until 1998 and my first "CRPG" was Diablo (played at a friend's house in 1997).
After that I moved to Fallout, Baldur's Gate, PST and Might&Magic VI/VII, and these games are still my benchmark for judging CRPGs. I'm slowly catching up on pre-1998 classics.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One thing I don't get is why BG1 ranks so high. I mean, Icewind Dale and BG2, fine, the combat is quite good if you like that sort of thing. But BG1 is fundamentally a banalshitboring endeavor, why does it get so many votes.

Well, with the right mods BG1 goes from mediocre to excellent IMO. So I voted on BG1 mostly because of its moddability.
Moddability is in fact perhaps the number one advantage newer games have compared to older games, IMO. There is no way to fix the absolutely horribly bad AI of the Gold Box games, while you can edit the combat scripts of any NPC or monsters in BG1, for example.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
People who are butthurt about the top of the list being populated by "Fallout and BG were my first crpgs!" crowd should also remember that a good portion of the votes given to older titles was just fishing for kkk by people who never played these games or did play them for a while and didn't like them.

What I have against the list is mainly the fact that the top of it is very poor at showing the best crpg has to offer as a genre. Replacing some of the heinously overrated "Fallout and BG were my first crpgs!" games, first BG, Arcanum and Vampire being the most obvious choices, with some of the classic dungeon crawlers would improve it immensely.

There's also some downright hilarious (in a bad way) stuff there, like New Vegas and its position above many absolute classics.

Still, the list does name most worthy crpgs imo, it's just that the order is a bit herp-a-derp.

We need a list limited to cRPGs before Fallout's release. Please.
That's something I'd like to see, but the thing I wrote about in the first sentence makes attempts at compiling such list more or less pointless.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
People who are butthurt about the top of the list being populated by "Fallout and BG were my first crpgs!" crowd should also remember that a good portion of the votes given to older titles was just fishing for kkk by people who never played these games or did play them for a while and didn't like them.

What I have against the list is mainly the fact that the top of it is very poor at showing the best crpg has to offer as a genre. Replacing some of the heinously overrated "Fallout and BG were my first crpgs!" games, first BG, Arcanum and Vampire being the most obvious choices, with some of the classic dungeon crawlers would improve it immensely.

There's also some downright hilarious (in a bad way) stuff there, like New Vegas and its position above many absolute classics.

Still, the list does name most worthy crpgs imo, it's just that the order is a bit herp-a-derp.

Pretty much exactly how I see it, more or less.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
4 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 155
7 - Baldur's Gate 108
:decline:

Also, no ADOM and Wasteland in the top 10. Filthy race traitors, all of you!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Filthy race traitors, all of you!
race_title.png

Was there any doubt?

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The first roleplaying "experience" I can remember on a PC was Adventure, played on a PET computer that my friend was allowed to borrow from school and bring home.

Imagine a 10-year old kid, staring at a CRT with the words, "You are on a beach. Paths lead north and east," not having any idea what to do or even what you could do, and experimenting blindly only to discover, eventually, that there was some wood nearby and enough materials to build a boat. You can actually build a boat. This blew me and my friend away.

Soon after dinner we were back at it and I think the command was, "Board boat."

"You board the makeshift raft. You are now at sea. What do you do?" (paraphrasing, from very foggy thirty-year-old memory)

Nothing will ever replace that wonder. All in glorious 40-character ASCII text.

This has nothing to do whatsoever with great RPG's. I just wanted to tell an old tale.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I didn't participate in the vote, because I felt that I did not have enough experience with the earlier era of games. I do think that there are some games in the list (like Icewind Dale) that were entertaining, but hardly best of the genre.

My first attempt to play an older game was Ultima 7 and I hated it. I hated almost everything about it it from the shitty avatar pretense, to the real time shitfest that was combat. I will definitely make sure that the next games bought will be turn-based.

Anac'raxus

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My first CRPG was Pool of Radiance on a C128. I think... I might've played Bard's Tale first, but, unlike PoR, I don't remember it too well.

I cut my list short so that I wouldn't help displace gems I never played with votes for mediocrity. Once I got down to KotR/BG/DA:O level, I knew that I wouldn't be voting for great games, I would've just been voting for games that I liked. The only one on my list that I'm not really sure about is NWN:HotU. I wanted NWN represented because it was a great toolset, and I had a lot of fun with the user modules, but the original campaign was extremely tedious, so I couldn't vote for it. I actually liked HotU, but maybe not as much as I liked BG1...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
My first attempt to play an older game was Ultima 7 and I hated it. I hated almost everything about it it from the shitty avatar pretense, to the real time shitfest that was combat. I will definitely make sure that the next games bought will be turn-based.

I could never get into Ultima for pretty much the same reasons. Also, I hate Garriott's pretense of having himself as "Lord British" in the game.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer

I could never get into Ultima for pretty much the same reasons. Also, I hate Garriott's pretense of having himself as "Lord British" in the game.

You could always just kill him. :D

MCA
We need another top 10 effort exclusive to pre-1995 games, if only to raise awareness and motivate more people here to play the oldies.

In fact, an educational editorial on all the milestone RPGs, year by year, with pointers on how to play them now, might be a good practice for the Codex.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We need another top 10 effort exclusive to pre-1995 games, if only to raise awareness and motivate more people here to play the oldies.

In fact, an educational editorial on all the milestone RPGs, year by year, with pointers on how to play them now, might be a good practice for the Codex.
All it requires is for one to start and manage it. I did for popamole jrpgs & console games, I'm sure the Codex has a worthy person for this as well. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom