Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex People's Awards: Best RPGs

bussinrounds

Augur
I wouldn't bother doing the list, but I'm a 25-years old weaboo, I'm sure there are more monocled gentleman here that know the old classics well.
Where's the Mondblutian approved list ?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

mondblut
Wizardry 7
Curse of Azure Bonds
Pools of Darkness
Dark Queen of Krynn
Aethra Chronicles
Prelude to Darkness
Dark Sun
World of Xeen
Fallout 2
Jagged Alliance 2
Daggerfall
Darklands
Betrayal at Krondor
Ravenloft 1
Ravenloft 2
Dark Sun 2
Fallout 1
Wizardry 6
Wizardry 8
Might & Magic 3
Ultima Underworld 1
Temple of Elemental Evil
Knights of the Chalice
Tunnels & Trolls
Treasures of Savage Frontier

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space

mondblut
Wizardry 7
Curse of Azure Bonds
Pools of Darkness
Dark Queen of Krynn
Aethra Chronicles
Prelude to Darkness
Dark Sun
World of Xeen
Fallout 2
Jagged Alliance 2
Daggerfall
Darklands
Betrayal at Krondor
Ravenloft 1
Ravenloft 2
Dark Sun 2
Fallout 1
Wizardry 6
Wizardry 8
Might & Magic 3
Ultima Underworld 1
Temple of Elemental Evil
Knights of the Chalice
Tunnels & Trolls

:incline:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

mondblut
Wizardry 7
Curse of Azure Bonds
Pools of Darkness
Dark Queen of Krynn
Aethra Chronicles
Prelude to Darkness
Dark Sun
World of Xeen
Fallout 2
Jagged Alliance 2
Daggerfall
Darklands
Betrayal at Krondor
Ravenloft 1
Ravenloft 2
Dark Sun 2
Fallout 1
Wizardry 6
Wizardry 8
Might & Magic 3
Ultima Underworld 1
Temple of Elemental Evil
Knights of the Chalice
Tunnels & Trolls

:incline:

Indeed. 80% of this is pre-Fallout, so I'd say it is monocled enough.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Everyone has their "guilty pleasures". I loved Stonekeep, which was produced by Fargo, by the way.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Apart from Mondblut, who else would be approved by the codexers as :obviously: gentleman? I did a quick pass on the votings at Jaesun's list, and the non-lurkers/non-newfags (jn)famous Codexers that voted many pre-Fallout games are:

Jaesun, Bee, octavius, VD, mindx2, Bruticis, Jasede, Haba, Ulminati, LundB, Wolfus, Fowyr, Luzur, GarfunkeL, PorkaMorka, MMXI, LeStryfe79, TalesfromtheCrypt, Fens, made, metro & BLOBERT.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mondblut isn't a :obviously: -- only a try hard (and probably under 30) dumbfuck would automatically disqualify games like Gothic and/or lump them in a category with action games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Mondblut doesn't even play cRPG's. He hex edits his characters to gods and stays in only in map mode (like when he played the gold box games). He is kind of like a complete attention retard that "wins games".

But he DOES list some good cRPG's.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I am sure curious about the Ravenloft entries though. Is it because the games don't check alignments thus allowing your paladin to do rather unpaladin-like things without losing his paladinhood?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Apart from Mondblut, who else would be approved by the codexers as :obviously: gentleman? I did a quick pass on the votings at Jaesun's list, and the non-lurkers/non-newfags (jn)famous Codexers that voted many pre-Fallout games are:

Jaesun, Bee, octavius, VD, mindx2, Bruticis, Jasede, Haba, Ulminati, LundB, Wolfus, Fowyr, Luzur, GarfunkeL, PorkaMorka, MMXI, LeStryfe79, TalesfromtheCrypt, Fens, made, metro & BLOBERT.
MONOCLE US!

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just open the voting to whoever and hopefully nobody is retarded enough to vote for games they haven't played, or will simply glaze over the thread due to popamolification.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Maybe it is a good idea to make it a requirement to include at least a sentence on what you liked about the game. Otherwise the vote would not count.

Everyone's Top 10 pre-Fallout (1945-1997) CRPG's - I'm definitely interested in what comes out of it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Problem is the codex :obviously: gentlemen, are attending the mondblutian wizardry and gold box box church frowning upon the decline and the popamole, but they have dark secrets, when none watching they go to todd howard's brothel and enjoy it for countless hours, more than they ever spent on classic rpgs. Yes modders fix shit, but , no not even loverslab could justify 160 hours on skyrim !
Theres no way to make an honest top 10 rpg list , even with the few people who really played the pre 1990 games. There's a thing i liked about the rpg addict blog is rating the games if they are still enjoyable today or not. Theres plenty of old titles that arent so anymore and not as complex and tactical you remember them to be .

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That's why I think it souldn't be a TOP 10 or Best list, but a "Classical RPGs we think you should play, and why."

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

mondblut

Arcane
I've heard some women gossiping behind my back.

I am sure curious about the Ravenloft entries though. Is it because the games don't check alignments thus allowing your paladin to do rather unpaladin-like things without losing his paladinhood?

I love the music, the atmosphere and the setting. Just like those lost Mad Max fanbois who think Fallout is bestest RPG evar because mutants and deserts.

Mondblut doesn't even play cRPG's. He hex edits his characters to gods and stays in only in map mode (like when he played the gold box games). He is kind of like a complete attention retard that "wins games".

I don't "win games". I fill a checklist.

Problem is the codex :obviously: gentlemen, are attending the mondblutian wizardry and gold box box church frowning upon the decline and the popamole, but they have dark secrets, when none watching they go to todd howard's brothel and enjoy it for countless hours, more than they ever spent on classic rpgs. Yes modders fix shit, but , no not even loverslab could justify 160 hours on skyrim !

You can play through Wizardry and Gold Box series only so many times in your life before moving on. And loverslab does make a reason to play skyrim. Or so I suppose; they sure did make a reason to play fallout 3, much better so than Obsidian did :smug:

Mondblut isn't a :obviously: -- only a try hard (and probably under 30) dumbfuck would automatically disqualify games like Gothic and/or lump them in a category with action games.

Butthurt I am dissing your favorite consoletard Tomb Raider clone? Deal with it.

And that's 35.

mondblut

Arcane
No Dark Heart or RoA series ?

I hated the fixed party composition in Uukrul, and one-step-per-turn combat was crap. Note that I don't have any Ultima in there either.

RoA gives almost no xp for combat against anything you have already encountered. This is mortal insult. As if its combat wasn't boring and repetetive to begin with, they even insist on withholding rewards for suffering through it? Fuck these losers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom