Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex People's Awards: Best RPGs

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is a pretty god-awful list of games. I honestly checked to see whether it was posted on April 1st.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Looking back now, we should have used a voting system that weighted the votes, by either ranking the games you voted for or by freely assigning a set number of points between then. The list really is more of a "most popular RPGs" than a best ones.

But since we're all monocled bros, is still a nice list.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Now that enough time has passed, we could certainly do a new list with a different voting system. Weighted votes are probably a good idea.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
2013 Best RPG was ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I can't think of any.

:negative:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like the F1 ranking system, giving 25/18/15/12/10/8/6/4/2/1 points to those ranked from 1st to 10th.

Assigning points is also cool, giving like 20 points to each voter, that they can freely distribute as they wish between as many games as they want. Problem with that in the Codex is that many votes would be "Fallout 2 - 20 points - I like it THIS MUCH!". :roll:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Problem with that in the Codex is that many votes would be "Fallout 2 - 20 points - I like it THIS MUCH!". :roll:

But even that would create a much better list than what we got last time. If somebody likes a game for the full 20 points, then we would still end up with the truly best games in the top 10.

The question is how many people can really count to 20. :lol:

Delterius

Arcane
I'm all for a weighted vote (except for the possibility of giving 20 points to a single game). But wouldn't it be best to wait a while longer? At least until Blackguards and a few others are fully released.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But even that would create a much better list than what we got last time. If somebody likes a game for the full 20 points, then we would still end up with the truly best games in the top 10.
Is a interesting system, that may require a different mindset... a RPG veteran voting for 10 games that he thinks are great would have few points to give each, while a newfag that LOVED Fallout 3 and Dragon Age 2 would give them like 10 points each. So, should the veteran focus on 2-3 REALLY GREAT RPGS and give them more points, or will he simply thrust Codexia's to agree on how great those 10 games are and level out the newfags?

Either way, it should be interesting, and way more extreme than the current one.

Wouldn't it be best to wait a while longer? At least until Blackguards and a few others are fully released.
So far we're only discussing voting systems.... but if we decide to re-do it, IMHO we should either do it NAU or wait A LOT (like mid-2015), until all the kickstarter games are released and the hypes dies down.

I'm all for a weighted vote (except for the possibility of giving 20 points to a single game).
Why? Last voting we did had more than 200 people voting, is not like one person giving 20 points to Oblivion will break everything. If 3 people give 7 points each to another game, they already surpassed him.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Maybe something like: the maximum amount of points for one game are 5, and the total points you can give are 20.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
IMHO the key question here is this: How to make the great gems surpass the mediocre popular games? (a.k.a. How to get fucking Icewind Dale off the Top 10)

I like that someone can say that Wizardry 7 or M&M: World of Xeen is simply amazing and deserve all 20 points, and that has the same weight that 10 people just listing 10 RPGs they liked and giving 2 points each.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
make a new list in a couple years once all that mystical incline may have happened.

btw, iwd is a great crawler.
iwd2 sucks.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
iwd2 sucks.
True, but I doubt that even those who voted for it think it's the 8th best RPG ever, above Wizardry 7 and M&M: Xeen.

Ditto for BG 1, F:NV, KOTOR II and ToEE... while they are on out Top 15, I doubt that people would give all 20 or even 10 points to any of those.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
... I doubt the resuls will be any different. Even on the Codex most people probably haven't played further back than Fallout.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The tradition says we make one of these each couple of years, so the next would be something like 2015. There's no rule saying we *have* to do that, though, but like Zed says, it would be awesome to see if the Kickstarters make it into the list. So I vote for 2015 for next list.

Rake

Arcane
iwd2 sucks.
True, but I doubt that even those who voted for it think it's the 8th best RPG ever, above Wizardry 7 and M&M: Xeen.

Ditto for BG 1, F:NV, KOTOR II and ToEE... while they are on out Top 15, I doubt that people would give all 20 or even 10 points to any of those.
^That. If people have 20 points to spend, they propably choose 3-4 games and distribute the points among them. Even if you put a 5 point cup to the points a single game can have, it will push the games at 5-7 per Player at most. So popular titles that everyone played, everyone liked but very few consider a masterpiece like IWD, F:NV, ToEE etc. will have very few entries.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
2012 and 2013 were such horrible years for RPGs that a new list isn't really warranted and won't be for a while - I agree with waiting until the first wave of the bigger KS projects is out (i.e. at least Eternity, Divinity and Wasteland). A Formula One/Eurovision-style weighted scoring system seems like a nice idea, though.

V_K

Arcane
IMHO the key question here is this: How to make the great gems surpass the mediocre popular games? (a.k.a. How to get fucking Icewind Dale off the Top 10)
Maybe, introduce negative points as well? Not for bad games, but for games that in respondent's opinion don't deserve a place on the list.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe, introduce negative points as well? Not for bad games, but for games that in respondent's opinion don't deserve a place on the list.

Interesting idea, but I don't think that would end well - retards would just use the possibility for trolling.

V_K

Arcane

Interesting idea, but I don't think that would end well - retards would just use the possibility for trolling.
Well the trick is that real great gems aren't as widely known among retards, so at the very worst we'd just loose something like Fallout - and I doubt even that.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Enforce the constant number of games (e.g. 10) on each person's list, with each game assigned >=1 point. Each person has a constant number of positive points (e.g. 50) to distribute among the games he lists. Assign each player a smaller number of negative points (e.g. 10), that can be distributed among 0-10 games. Each negative assignment should be justified by a short commentary, 'it sucks' would not be accepted as a justification.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
No point in making such list now, even less so in a year or two.

The only interesting approach would be banning votes on any of Bioware/Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian games and seeing what comes up then, but such list would still be polluted by KKK-fishing and people voting for 2000+ action games.

V_K

Arcane
The only interesting approach would be banning votes on any of Bioware/Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian games and seeing what comes up then, but such list would still be polluted by KKK-fishing and people voting for 2000+ action games.
Or maybe introducing some weighting coefficients based on release date, like 1.0 for pre-1996 or indie, 0.5 for 1996 to 2003 and 0.25 for post-2003 :D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom