Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex People's Awards: Best RPGs

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
No Dark Heart or RoA series ?

RoA gives almost no xp for combat against anything you have already encountered. This is mortal insult. As if its combat wasn't boring and repetetive to begin with, they even insist on withholding rewards for suffering through it? Fuck these losers.

Have you played only the first part? In RoA 2 you can have automated combat that speeds things up against weak enemies. Combat done in half a minute, or less.

mondblut

Arcane
RoA gives almost no xp for combat against anything you have already encountered. This is mortal insult. As if its combat wasn't boring and repetetive to begin with, they even insist on withholding rewards for suffering through it? Fuck these losers.

Have you played only the first part? In RoA 2 you can have automated combat that speeds things up against weak enemies. Combat done in half a minute, or less.

I played the trilogy through, of course. Autocombat doesn't mitigate the fact you don't gain anything from it, making it nothing but annoyance. Moreover, the fact it is there alone is a proof enough of the developers being aware that this shit has no purpose whatsoever and delivers nothing but frustration, so something must be done to make all these countless encounters that give you no xp and drain you of no resources less painful a waste of time.

granit

Scholar
Is Diablo 2 a better cRPG than Exile 2: Crystal Souls?:M

Since Exile series wasn't even mentioned in the list, is Geneforge considered the better game? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Jeff Vogel got mentioned at all. Personally I haven't tried Vogel's later works. Maybe its time to give Geneforge a chance...

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is Diablo 2 a better cRPG than Exile 2: Crystal Souls?:M

Since Exile series wasn't even mentioned in the list, is Geneforge considered the better game? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Jeff Vogel got mentioned at all. Personally I haven't tried Vogel's later works. Maybe its time to give Geneforge a chance...

I voted for Exile (3?). The games just didn't make the top 50.

I enjoyed Geneforge more than Exile, but they're very different RPGs.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why is the codex console list better than the crpg one? Honestly, where the fuck are Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, Gold Box, and Betrayal at Krondor? It's like the Codex is actually the cause of Popamole with all the RTwP shit on that list. You do realize it's all a matter of storyfagging right? I had high hopes for this joint, but you turned out to be a bunch of David Gaiders. BG2 is as inane as Fallout 3, but it seems everyone jerked off to it when they got pubes. Goddamn decline my ass.

WE ARE DECLINE

:excellent:

BobtheTree

Savant
I said this before, but one is a problem of availability. A lot of the games in the top 50 CRPGs are games you can access pretty easily from various digital distributors, while a lot of the glaring omissions you have to basically by used on ebay and half the time the prices are ridiculous.

Black

Arcane
Why is the codex console list better than the crpg one? Honestly, where the fuck are Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, Gold Box, and Betrayal at Krondor? It's like the Codex is actually the cause of Popamole with all the RTwP shit on that list. You do realize it's all a matter of storyfagging right? I had high hopes for this joint, but you turned out to be a bunch of David Gaiders. BG2 is as inane as Fallout 3, but it seems everyone jerked off to it when they got pubes. Goddamn decline my ass.
Poplists are bad no matter where they appear, it appears you've been :troll:'d.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I said this before, but one is a problem of availability. A lot of the games in the top 50 CRPGs are games you can access pretty easily from various digital distributors, while a lot of the glaring omissions you have to basically by used on ebay and half the time the prices are ridiculous.

Actually, most of the earlier :obviously: CRPG's are abandonware now and you can download them for free. Admittedly, you need to know how to use Dosbox though.

On the other hand, there are sites like GOG where you can download those games for a couple bucks and there is no need to "mount" in Dosbox anymore.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its not a problem of availability , if you want to access the old school rpgs theres nothing easier they are on many abandonware sites, reviewed, with the manuals and all you need . Thats way more titles than what we had in shops and free , but if you arent able to use dosbox its likely you are too dumb to enjoy them . They arent instant gratification games, some requires mapping,have hard puzzles, they are much much harder than modern games. You wont see them on top because voters are too young and absolutely not interested into that , just have to read the usual general discussion threads, "i am in love" , "how to interact with women" to understand the average codexer is very young.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Shadow Hearts got 2 votes only. And the list includes handheld games as well, Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis is for GBA. Many other handheld jRPGs received votes, like Pokemon, Etrian Odissey, Dark Spire, Devil Survivor, etc... but since everyone voted on a different one, there was no consensus.

Athelas

Arcane
I mostly agree with the cRPG list with some caveats.

The console list is terrible however. Final Fantasy Tactics on #3 and Tactics Ogre on #17 when it's widely known the former is an inferior rip-off of the latter? Grandia in the absolute bottom despite iits turnbased battle system being possibly the best ever made? Breath of Fire II and Terranigma ranking similarly low despite being some of the first (and still one of the few) jRPG's with C&C?
Games like Chrono Cross, Xenogears and most Final Fantasy's exemplify everything that is wrong with jRPG's: nonsensical, needlessly convoluted stories and unintuitive combat/stat mechanics.

Duraframe300

Arcane

The console list is terrible however. Final Fantasy Tactics on #3 and Tactics Ogre on #17 when it's widely known the former is an inferior rip-off of the latter?

I'm not quite sure how the term rip-off applies all that much here considering its a lot of the same people.

Athelas

Arcane

The console list is terrible however. Final Fantasy Tactics on #3 and Tactics Ogre on #17 when it's widely known the former is an inferior rip-off of the latter?

I'm not quite sure how the term rip-off applies all that much here considering its a lot of the same people.
Rehash then?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The console list suffers from a small voting group (only 68), a HUGE amount of good games & few "absolute classics" to vote on and very little consensus. Chrono Trigger, the #1, only has 36% of the votes, while Fallout 1 has more than 90% as #1 of the PC list.

That said, FFT was a clear consensus and did receive 3x more votes than Tactics Ogre LUCT, so clearly it's not "widely know as inferior"...

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The console list is terrible however. Final Fantasy Tactics on #3 and Tactics Ogre on #17 when it's widely known the former is an inferior rip-off of the latter? Grandia in the absolute bottom despite iits turnbased battle system being possibly the best ever made? Breath of Fire II and Terranigma ranking similarly low despite being some of the first (and still one of the few) jRPG's with C&C?
Games like Chrono Cross, Xenogears and most Final Fantasy's exemplify everything that is wrong with jRPG's: nonsensical, needlessly convoluted stories and unintuitive combat/stat mechanics.

You have no idea what makes for a good console RPG do you? You praise Grandia for its combat despite the fact that it's piss easy and irrelevant. You say FFT is is a ripoff of a game made by the same guy, and praise C&C in a game that has 1/10 the C&C of Chrono Cross. Your post is less consistent and more hypocritical than the worst IGN or its ilk has to offer. It's like you had a few good memories of some slut you fucked without realizing how much fat and disease she heaped on your cock.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That monocle'd troll handing out the prize ribbon ought to be an emoticon.

Anyway, as for the lists themselves, it's definitely skewed around games released in the 90s/early 00s. The list is more about Codex's most popular RPGs, rather than the best RPGs. Not really surprising, given the demographics of the Codex (would assume most Codexers are young adults in their 20s or 30s who were/are fans of Black Isle, Troika, etc) and the increased exposure of the games industry in that time period, but before it went to shit.

Not like the writeups and commentary go into depth (lol DU hates RTwP), but it'd be a good starting point for newbies wanting to find out the Codex Approved™ cRPG list. Which I imagine would be the purpose of all this.

Good job, guys.

That said, how the fuck Icewind Dale gets into the top 10 most popular games here baffles me.

You might as well just say Dungeon Siege 3 is one of the top 10 most popular games AM-I-RITE?!

MrEvilGuy

Educated
Vampire Redemption top 50?
XD
Fucking hell.

I take it some people must love this game? Or maybe they mixed it up with Vampire Bloodlines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom