Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex People's Awards: Best RPGs

laclongquan

Arcane
Nah~ Outside of a few nostalgic fags, no one care about it. There's no silent majority who care about them at all.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
If it was a group effort we could do it. I'd suggest an RPG Codex Top 10 Pre-Fallout RPGs list be voted upon and then we can call on some oldfags to write summaries for the winners.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
A DOS/Apple/Amiga/Atari/Commodore pre 1995 list would be good.

EDIT: Why the magic number of 1995?

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd like to learn more about pre-95 games and how to play them. I'm still in my 20's so I was a bit young for them, especially because I was in Asia. I know most of their names now but only from the Codex; some of them I picked up and enjoyed straight away, but most of the time it's not as smooth sailing, even if I suspect they'll all be great given enough time to crack them open.

Of course, with a couple of them, I already know what the problem is (ROA: stop dying every 10 minutes, Darklands: learn how to combat), but...

I think it's a good idea, provided the initiative is planned out well and doesn't end up contradicting what it originally set out to do (Jaesun's latest list was originally conceived as pretty much the opposite of what it was ultimately used as - it was to provide a really wide and colourful selection of games from a wider pool of favourites rather than a strict top ten; this resulted in some confusion). I'd also suggest whoever organizes the voting demand that all voters provide comments on their selections -- that way there will (hopefully) be a strong pool of write-ups to choose from for the resulting list; it might also scare away people who don't really care much about (or didn't even actually play) the DOS/pre-DOS era titles.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yes that was basically my intention. To provide a Top 50 list of cRPG's that we recommend you play. Basically a supplement to the List of must play cRPG's.

EDIT: In hindsight I could have specified Turn-Based, but that would have Excluded Darklands, and Planescape etc...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We should do this guys, it would be cool.
I have a proposal. Instead of doing games of the decade, the codex should have half-and-half lists. '85-'95, '95-'05, and soon '05'-'15. If you do one each year, that would actually work out perfectly (and cover all the kickstarters). I think this covers the different eras of computer gaming quite well, and would give an interesting historical perspective.

If you weirdos want to list games from before '85, that's your problem.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Again, I would suggest doing it by means of a :obviously: council of bros, but I think the by-year thing is very flawed, since some years have like 3-4 great titles, and some none (i.e., 1992: Darklands, Wizardry VII, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld...).

Perhaps the 5-by-5 years works best. Also, focus more on the text & review than ranking them, people here seem to only bother at "X is higher than Y", I haven't seen a single comment onany of the texts (asides from DU's).

MCA
Jaesun asaked why the magic number of 1995 and indeed. Why the magic number of any year, then? The goal would be excluding relatively "modern" games like Fallout well known to every Codexer and introducing them to other less known but good RPGs. So I'm laying out the plan: To go back, year by year, starting with 1997. I probably should make a new thread about this.

Again, I would suggest doing it by means of a :obviously: council of bros, but I think the by-year thing is very flawed, since some years have like 3-4 great titles, and some none (i.e., 1992: Darklands, Wizardry VII, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld...).

Perhaps the 5-by-5 years works best. Also, focus more on the text & review than ranking them, people here seem to only bother at "X is higher than Y", I haven't seen a single comment onany of the texts (asides from DU's).

Once we compile a list of games, we can then group them in multiple-year stages based on the amount and maybe the traits of the games instead of forcing an arbitrary period to group games beforehand.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Replacing some of the heinously overrated "Fallout and BG were my first crpgs!" games, first BG, Arcanum

Yes, Arcanum's position should be filled with another RPG and Arcanum be put several places higher.
Like #1, as it deserves.

Well... with all due respect for the Arcanum and its devs the fact remains that it was a very broken game, with a handful of neat ideas. The gameplay... it just isn't there... IMO it does not deserve a place in the first 10.

Lorica

Educated

It's just that there's not a lot of substance to the text. I don't take issue with any of the writers, it's just that the format is one paragraph apiece to say what's good about a game without repeating what other people say. It's not constructed to offer much analysis of the games, or even basic information, as I think they rightly assume that everybody on the Codex has a fairly solid understanding of all of the top ten. I think DU's comments are in part a self-effacing joke about the format.

To add some depth, I think at leat 500 words from the same person with a basic features/judgement/influence goal would be best and be less personal (Not that it isn't hilarious to see JarlFrank insisting that Arcanum should be no. 1 on the list). This is especially important if you're trying to give people an "interesting RPGs to check out" list--give 'em a reason to find out more about the game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, Deus Ex is highly regarded pretty much everywhere, not only on the 'dex, while Arcanum has a comparatively small fanbase.

Yes that was basically my intention. To provide a Top 50 list of cRPG's that we recommend you play. Basically a supplement to the List of must play cRPG's.

EDIT: In hindsight I could have specified Turn-Based, but that would have Excluded Darklands, and Planescape etc...

Better not to implement that sort of restrictions because it only serves as wank fodder for "what is a rpg" asperginations. Just list by year (starting from 1945 to make sure no game gets arbitrarily ignored)

It's just that there's not a lot of substance to the text. I don't take issue with any of the writers, it's just that the format is one paragraph apiece to say what's good about a game without repeating what other people say. It's not constructed to offer much analysis of the games, or even basic information, as I think they rightly assume that everybody on the Codex has a fairly solid understanding of all of the top ten. I think DU's comments are in part a self-effacing joke about the format.

To add some depth, I think at leat 500 words from the same person with a basic features/judgement/influence goal would be best and be less personal (Not that it isn't hilarious to see JarlFrank insisting that Arcanum should be no. 1 on the list). This is especially important if you're trying to give people an "interesting RPGs to check out" list--give 'em a reason to find out more about the game.

With the one-paragraph-per-game format, most people still focus on "Why is game x rated higher than game Y" banalshitboringness, what makes you think they're gonna read 500 words per game?

Lorica

Educated
I may be wrong, but if there's not a lot of in depth analysis, they're all games that we've all played before and they follow a claim about being the best CRPGs evar, of course you're going to nitpick about what should go higher or lower.

With a bit more content, there's more to chew over and it'd fit the purpose Jaesun mentioned a bit better, hypothetically--the chance to expose people to great games they might not otherwise know about or know enough about to be interested in.

500 words is pretty arbitrary, but it's about 1 page and enough for a juicy paragraph apiece on each of the three things I mentioned, so I went with it. I think anybody seriously interested in RPGs would be happy to read a well written page about an unknown or unfamiliar CRPG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Better not to implement that sort of restrictions because it only serves as wank fodder for "what is a rpg" asperginations. Just list by year (starting from 1945 to make sure no game gets arbitrarily ignored)

Who ever wants to do it can define whatever they want, and then deal with all the retarded trolling. :roll: Good luck with that. I'm not going to do it though.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
With the one-paragraph-per-game format, most people still focus on "Why is game x rated higher than game Y" banalshitboringness, what makes you think they're gonna read 500 words per game?
That's the point in not ranking them. Just make it a "Classic RPGs we think you should play" list, listed by date.

I wouldn't bother doing the list, but I'm a 25-years old weaboo, I'm sure there are more monocled gentleman here that know the old classics well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom