Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2015 - The Technomancer, The White March and Kingdom Come

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't be a pussy, find a more prestigious website somebody actually gives a shit about and post your feedback there.
No.

All things considered I don't give a shit, I just thought it would be more interesting if we could have normal conversations with devs without them shaking their heads and sweeping us off.

Zeriel

Arcane
There's room for mellowing the official line (and this HAS happened in the last half decade, it's why we get way more "access" now, which some Codexers have criticized heavily), but what devs like Bioware and Bethesda require is that we cleanse the forums. That's the problem: they want a heavily moderated place if they're going to participate directly, and that goes against the Codex principles, it would make it like any other website, and so it will never happen. Or rather, if it did happen, there would be an exodus and it would no longer be the Codex, just like what happened to 4chan.

norolim

Arcane
What in the actual fuck happened to J_C when I was away from the Codex? Was his brain taken over by some aliens from the planet Apologetard? Literally, every thread on the Codex is full of him defending and finding excuses for everything and everyone.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What in the actual fuck happened to J_C when I was away from the Codex? Was his brain taken over by some aliens from the planet Apologetard? Literally, every thread on the Codex is full of him defending and finding excuses for everything and everyone.
I became the disciple of Sawyer. I feel my duty is to balance out all the hatred towards everything with liking and excusing everything.

Zeriel

Arcane
I became the disciple of Sawyer. I feel my duty is to balance out all the hatred towards everything with liking and excusing everything.

I was wondering why Roguey has been so rational and agreeable lately. Confirmed brain swap between you and Roguey?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I agree though, it is a shame that a lot of devs seem to ignore the codex because "they're just hateful trolls" or similar.

It's just common indulgence not to respond to criticism of the Codex. Just usual PR-damage control, that was done in almost instinctive manner.

norolim

Arcane
I was wondering why Roguey has been so rational and agreeable lately. Confirmed brain swap between you and Roguey?
That's the other thing, that's changed in the past month.

Bring back the old Codex!!! I'm afraid of change!

And yet, as I notice, all you succeeded to do is make everyone hate the things you're defending even more.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
That's true, but it has nothing to do with the Codex's reputation. Too bad the Codex built up a reputation of hating everything, when in reality it is not the case. Still, it is the thing everyone associates the Codex with.

That's because in today's climate (and especially with gaming journalists being glorified advertisers) any criticism is considered to be hatred, gaming devs are thin skinned because they're so used to getting their ass kissed by the press/reviewers. It's all about building a mutually beneficial relationship with the press and catering to casual players, not about making something great, they have no ambition or creativity (of course there are still exceptions but few and far between compared to how it used to be before).

The only type of criticism that gets a pass (sometimes) is if in-between critically analyzing the weaker aspects of the game you kiss game dev's ass constantly (but the game is still awesome and you guys are so great I wanna have your babies, greater than the sum of its parts bla bla bla) so they don't get their fragile ego bruised.

Style is much more valued over substance when it should be the opposite. A review/post/feedback with great content is disregarded if it isn't written in the correct subservient tone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My philosophy of RPG criticism goes something like this:

If you can play an RPG - a real RPG - for 50 hours and not come up with a list of 50 things that are wrong with it, I probably don't like you.

If you don't realize why the game is still fun despite those 50 things, I also probably don't like you.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Pretty curious about Vavra's interview. I really think he is the kind of guy that would appreciate the Codex.

Yes definitely, because Codexers widely share his opinion that turn-based games of the past always wanted to be action games at their heart but were limited with technology (or something to that effect, I don't remember the exact words).

Vavra is a bro on many things and I certainly respect that he is following his vision and trying to make his dream game but his idea of a dream game is probably a lot different to that of the Codex Hivemind.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Did you play PoE for 50 hours? Did you find 50 things wrong with it?

P.S. I still like you.

Or do I?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
My philosophy of RPG criticism goes something like this:

If you can play an RPG - a real RPG - for 50 hours and not come up with a list of 50 things that are wrong with it, I probably don't like you.

If you don't realize why the game is still fun despite those 50 things, I also probably don't like you.

What's a real RPG? A single player MMO?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yes definitely, because Codexers widely share his opinion that turn-based games of the past always wanted to be action games at their heart but were limited with technology (or something to that effect, I don't remember the exact words).

Vavra is a bro on many things and I certainly respect that he is following his vision and trying to make his dream game but his idea of a dream game is probably a lot different to that of the Codex Hivemind.

:hahano:

I never said his idea of a "dream game" fits the Hivemind's idea. I don't know him personally, but from his interviews he seems like a guy that speaks his mind and despises bullshit. Also, read his posting history. He is very "in your face", and his posts are not exactly a PR piece.

"Sharing opinions"...LOL. :lol::lol: NOT sharing opinions is what makes this place different from NeoCuck.

Also, if shit like Skyrim found love here, a game that actually manages to do it RIGHT is sure to be a top contender for Codex GOTY.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I think Bound by Flame was a pretty good game for what it was. The combat at least tried to be interesting and it had some soul, even if Spiders settings dont help.

Their games are amateurish, not only from a mechanics point of view but also the setting choices they make, but again bound by flame was on to something. Almost made it to the end and endured it more than the Witcher games that I cant bring myself to like. I hate Geralt face.
Amateurish, but I personally felt that is was due to lack of a decent budget, not the lack of talent or passion, and that with the right money they could easily get into the big rpg league. Both Mars and BBF were entertaining enough to finish them, unlike some of the Bioware & co recent games. Anyway, while skeptical they really have enough funding this time, I'll look forward to their new game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's pretty sad. I know, I know, we shouldn't care what others think about the Codex, and you are right, but it is pretty sad that with a few exceptions, we are not taken seriously, despite offering better feedback and ideas than any other "magazine".

I'm not saying he didn't take me seriously. He was very honest and open in the interview, and he stated why he makes the game he makes without trying to make it sound more appealing to the Codex audience. Sure, there might've been overambitious promises that may not end up in the game the way he promised, but there was no big PR-talk from him and he didn't treat the interview like it was a chance for advertisement. He knew what he's getting into with the Codex, which is detailed questions about gameplay, he knows his answers might not be met with approval here, but he was fine with that.

He even said that he appreciates the Codex for its honesty, although "it would be exhausting if every place on the internet was like that". :lol:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really dig Bubble's style.
It's pretty arrogant in that everything's a big joke to him and there doesn't seem to be a single moment when he's not sarcastic but I always thought that this was the only :obviously: way to deal with idiots and the hype they are falling for every single time.

Sure, devs don't seem to respect the Codex but I guess that's just fair.
This forum isn't really helping them to develop games that sell well, most of us are part of some niche audience, and many are autistic in some way or another.
And there is too much fighting against windmills going on. There is no reason to ridicule action RPGs and claim that TB ones are the only ones that deserve the label other than narcissism or extreme autism, same for linear story-centered games vs the meticulously simulated open world dream game that never works, there is not enough in depth discussion about game development for a forum critizising mainstream developers that openly and unified and most of the criticism is lazy anyway, with a blind eye for budget constraints, the possibility of requested features impeding each other, and the myriard of flaws the Codex favorites have. It's all too much about muh feelz and how this or that game was the greatest thing since sliced bread and the shit combat or the dull story was bearable for a fanboy because the game wasn't about that anyway. You can't start a serious discussion if people don't pull their heads out of their arses, it's just too difficult to understand each other that way.

Sure, AAA games are not much fun for someone who actually likes playing games opposed to someone who just wants to relax on the couch and mash some buttons in the meanwhile. But there are devs catering for us too so why do we waste so much time ridiculing the other crowd? For example, why do people here still post in Ubisoft games threads? It's as if we didn't have anything better to do... :smug:
Why should any dev waste his time reading all that shit, seriously?
And there is no admission that many of us don't just play games to be challenged, but also to be entertained. We like to ridicule everything but are pretty stuck up about our own beliefs and expectations. And then there's just too much circle jerking about how our way to waste freaking time is more monocled than others. It's pretty cute actually.
With that being said I don't know a single other computer gaming forum I can bear to read, they are all just so dull and full of wankers. :M

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
And then there's just too much circle jerking about how our way to waste freaking time is more monocled than others.

"Monocled" isn't right word, if we talk honestly and seriously - more intellectual, smart. Agree with the rest, I actually don't care about any devs, I just want good games from them, don't care if they love us or hate us, or even if they don't care or don't know about us.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

From what Warhorse showed us so far Kingdom Come is shaping up as being in the same ballpark as the Gothics - carefully handcrafted world, well thought out systems, non-popamole combat. And Gothic has some serious following on Codex.

Pureblood combatfags despise aRPGs and that's fine but I for one can live with action combat if the systems, loot and story is good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom