Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption

Harold

Arcane
Grunker

7 new clans, new areas, slight story modification, some rebalancing I think. If you haven't, you can check out The Final Nights, which is already out (has been for quite some time). Same idea. I like many of the balancing changes it implemented, though some are pretty derp and you should bear in mind it adds a few ~fan voice-acted characters~ which, as you can imagine, stick out like a sore thumb in Bloodlines. Just make sure you don't read anything in their mostly defunct forums to avoid sanity loss.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sounds dodgy. Guess I'll take a look one of these days, thanks. Some of the new models look at bit too fanboysie though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wow, this looks really nice:

hud_combat.jpg

Yeah, looks pretty pretty. Going to be awesome if they complete it. Should also make modding a breeze compared to now.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
However, as amazing as that sounds, the Storyteller Mode fails horribly in its task.

No, it was fuckin glorious. Best multiplayer game sessions I've ever played. Mods would allow you to DM sessions with 10+ players, cooperative gamemastering. It was truly majestic.
So yeah, the actual interface of the multiplayer dm mode was a pain to use, but so what ? All those modded maps and skins and disciplines... This game had a nice modding community.

so your only choice is playing on LAN, or using "online LAN" websites such as Tunngle.

Or Hamachi, or any other vpn. It's really not that hard. Though I still remember WON.net fondly, nostalgia and all that.

Lhynn

Arcane
Redemption wasnt that bad, just bland and forgettable, the kind of game you play while you are looking/waiting for a good game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No, it was fuckin glorious. Best multiplayer game sessions I've ever played. Mods would allow you to DM sessions with 10+ players, cooperative gamemastering. It was truly majestic.
So yeah, the actual interface of the multiplayer dm mode was a pain to use, but so what ? All those modded maps and skins and disciplines... This game had a nice modding community.
Bro, you had fun despite the limitations and failures, not because of them. Looking at it today, the Storyteller Mode really sucks.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bro, you had fun despite the limitations and failures, not because of them. Looking at it today, the Storyteller Mode really sucks.

True, but still it was better than what passes for multiplayer modes these days. It could have been better implemented, but you could do a lot of things with it if you were willing to put some effort into it (and look past the frequent crashes and the general suckiness of the internet connections of the day.) I'll admit it's mostly nostalgia for the good old WoD, though. :)

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Deuce Traveler
:brodex:
Thanks for writing the review, also felipepepe for his input, always cool to read kodex kontent. It's a forgettable, mediocre game imho, not even close to the :obviously: level of Bloodlines. Still worth a playthrough, I guess.

Thanks! I love how this game has caused an argument about whether or not it is good. It is mediocre and forgettable. Note how quickly this thread left being a discussion of Redemption and became a discussion about how great Bloodlines is. That should tell you all you need to know about Redemption.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I agree that it is mediocre, I think many who feel that that estimate is unfair do so because the game tries and almost sheds the rags of mediocrity. Had it done so it could have been something great.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still like this game. And no, it is NOT anywhere near as great as Bloodlines. It just still hold a special place in my heart..... or something.

Good review Deuce Traveler :salute:

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Game is much better than depicted in the review. Not flawless, but has a great atmosphere, music, and artstyle. It also uses the World of Darkness system better than Bloodlines. Not the non-combat skills, but just look at how dumbed down the disciples system in Bloodlines compared to Redemtion. Also, Deuce Traveller sucks at managing a rather straightforward UI. This game is more of like Diablo than a proper cRPG, so i don't think that the lack of C&C is a huge sin (C&C is overrated anyway).

TL;DR: review is shit.

:troll:
Seriously, this is a fun game.

I'm going to back you up and not throw you under a bus for once J_C, it's certainly not a perfect game and I prefer Bloodlines, but I still find the game quite enjoyable, especially the first half.

I also like the cheesiness, massive skill selection, and ganky party based combat.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Note how quickly this thread left being a discussion of Redemption and became a discussion about how great Bloodlines is.
Actually the discussion is not about Bloodlines being great AT ALL. First, it was about Bloodlines being good or not, then about a side-mission, and after that about a mod. ;)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I had a lot of fun with this one too. Sure, it's flawed and the diabloesque party combat can be annoying at times (the game just begs for TB or even real RTwP) but other times it can also be pretty enjoyable. Smacking enemies with the severed hand of --insert ancient powerful vampire, can't remember-- never ceased to amuse me. I too found the atmosphere great.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still like this game. And no, it is NOT anywhere near as great as Bloodlines. It just still hold a special place in my heart..... or something.

Good review Deuce Traveler :salute:

Same here, Redemption has some really good moments, mostly atmosphere wise but gameplay really bothered me back then. Remembering cheesing my way through knights and such mostly by pulling them one by one and draining them dry.
Also fucking crocodiles...

Archibald

Arcane
Most of the time people talk about this is game is when:
a) Someone is looking for vampire games.
b) Someone finished Bloodlines and asks if there is anything similar.

Sometimes I wonder would anyone even remember it existing if it didn't had vtm license?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Is the Codex ever gonna do a Return to Krondor review as well? It's also in the category of game related to a very good game, but otherwise probably not worth trying. Hence, curious for an opinion.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the Codex ever gonna do a Return to Krondor review as well? It's also in the category of game related to a very good game, but otherwise probably not worth trying. Hence, curious for an opinion.
Someone's gotta play it.

V_K

Arcane
Someone's gotta play it.
I did actually. It's not that it does something particularly bad, it's just really boring and linear. Given how the original's charm came from having both good story and open world, it probably made RtK even more disappointing than Betrayal in Antara.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Saw the title and though it was recovered Phage's review. No matter, still good.
And game was servicable till second, modern part, when it become absolutely boring, unbalanced shootfest. Would be good in these time when you don't have much games to play or something.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sometimes I wonder would anyone even remember it existing if it didn't had vtm license?

I probably would then never had heard of this (at least back in the day). I'm a huge V:TM PnP fan and when I heard this game was being made I was so fucking excited.

Archibald

Arcane
Given how the original's charm came from having both good story and open world, it probably made RtK even more disappointing than Betrayal in Antara.

Might be, I played it before Betrayal and found it okay game. Would recommend it over Redemption.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
For Halloween games, I'd also like to cover SCP- Containment Breach, but it's really not the kind of game (RPG/strategy/adventure) that this site would normally cover.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Game is much more enjoyable than many rpgs released today. To me it looked like they ran out of time vur it was crafted with love and respect to the franchise (despite some lore shortcomings) Multiplayer was also very good. Damn I even remember reading the beefy manual that came witht the game, sweet nostalgia.

Reviewer seems a bit like a sordid C&C fag to me. FFS not everything has to be 'reactive'

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was an interesting piece of content. I do not remember the game to be that bad, but as it was ~15 years ago, I probably had different standards of quality back then. Anyway, good job, Deuce Traveler (and felipepepe).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom