Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex - Top 50 WORST RPGs YOU'VE PLAYED vote thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Oh Im not being butthurt, but I am greatly enjoying watching you squirm. I dont ask arguments for "nu-uh!!!" but for list of arguments I said about 70s style, which is 10 times more then what you said about a notion you first introduced. As I said if that shitty list of few random pictures without any meaning for any sane person is enough for you to cling to your opinion then fine live in denial.

You're really bad at this.

LizardKing

Scholar
Ultima IX - Lore rape at it's worst.
Fallout 3 - Moira Brown, Megaton, Little Lamplight, need I say more?
Neverwinter Nights OC - Boring as fuck.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The worst game I ever played was the only one I bought without any prior research and bought after what was claimed on the box - the name of that game is forever erased from my memory. I know I bought it - just can't name it.

Onto the worst RPGs then:

Ultima Pagan - How I wanted to like this game - it was like Ultima - but in 2.5D. Plus you could jump. Not in Britannia but in a new world. You had a nice red uniform and a backpack like going to school. I tried so hard to get somewhere - anywhere. But it defeated me. How you failed me Lord British. But then I read the interviews posted on these forums and I know now you eye was not on the ball.

Dragon Age Origins - If I read and comprehended somewhere in the five thousand positive reviews of this game it was partly based like BG - I would have ignored it and saved myself cash and lots of time. I did try my best and worked hard to discover why it was the best RPG EVER. But why couldn't my character go there - why was it so linear - it was so boring. The characters were supposed to be interesting - but they weren't. Inventory management - do you know what year it is? What have scripts got to do with anything related to an immersive RPG experience. Sounds like you wanted me to fix your problems Mr Programmer. The graphics looked odd - done my a child. Sorry - learnt my lesson re Bioware from that point. No more Bioware games for me.

Dungeon Hack - Oh, wow. Endless fun promised in infinite random dungeons. It was Dungeon Master multiplied by Dungeon Master multiplied by Dungeon Master to infinity and beyond. It was missing something though - gameplay, a story, it was simple. Someone found the very first working version of Dungeon Master toolkit or whatever they used to design the game, before they added all the gameplay elements to it. They added the words SSI and Forgotten Realms onto the box. Because I had no friends to share my seed with - I got conned.

Knights of the Old Republic - To be fair I played this before DAO and then forgot how bad it was. Why couldn't I go there, why did I have to do this. The combat was really insulting - if you went Bards Tale for goodness sake the combat would have been better. It is supposed to be a game to enjoy - why does it feel like work? So much reading, so much travelling. Don't waste my time - implement fast travel for goodness sake. Graphics were odd. Every now and again Steam sticks Knights of the Old Republic 2 in my face, resistance is not futile!

Two games that I didn't like - but not given up on them yet.

Planescape - The Nameless One, How you tormented me. Bought the game twice as apparently I am supposed to like it as it is the best RPG ever. The GOG version requires no CD swaps plus there is a mod somewhere that allows to play on widescreen. So why can't I get into it - too much reading? How can I increase that font size. My eyesight is so poor these days, I am an old codger and can barely recognise the time of day. Maybe one day I will try again.

The Witcher - I tried a few times and bought Witcher 2 in reserve recently. Combat is okay - I like the way it seems choices make a difference. Why then is the game so hard to play - am I a fool. Just tell me how to do stuff - where is the stupid manual. Alchemy. There is something wrong. Give me strength to try it again. Pointless runing back and forth?

Oh - you can't jump.

kris

Arcane
Meh, I'll give some that I really didn't like. which obviously mean I didn't play them that much.

ES: Oblivion, bland and boring in every way.
NWN1. Bad campaign, but nothing else that makes it shine in any way.
Dragon age 2. Bad, just bad. From the awful start to the early game. etc.
There is probably some older RPG that I forgot completely.

Lhynn

Arcane
NWN1. Bad campaign, but nothing else that makes it shine in any way.
The toolset and the mods, go play it, it has some of the best stories ever written for an RPG, plus there is so much quality content you could play it for years.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The toolset and the mods, go play it, it has some of the best stories ever written for an RPG, plus there is so much quality content you could play it for years.
You'd still have to play using the NWN system and engine though.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
How can I increase that font size. My eyesight is so poor these days, I am an old codger and can barely recognise the time of day.

I know that feel! Personally I play IE games at a non-native resolution. That is, the resolution on my 24" monitor is 1920x1200 normally but I play these games at something like 1280x800. The same applies to Paradox games.

Why then is the game so hard to play - am I a fool. Just tell me how to do stuff - where is the stupid manual.

Depending on where you bought it, the manual should be included with your box/download. It's definitely a good idea to read the manual for the first Witcher game - I don't recall it having a decent tutorial with regards to alchemy and such.

Lhynn

Arcane
You cannot recommend someone to play MotB with all its issues but not recommend someone to play the best mods made for NWN.

Rake

Arcane
You cannot recommend someone to play MotB with all its issues but not recommend someone to play the best mods made for NWN.
Tell me 5 NWN mods that match MotB. Serious question.

Delterius

Arcane
That's not a fair comparison. What he meant is that a game can be interesting in spite of the overall package, its what the Codex is all about. This applies to MotB which has easy to normal combat (in terms of decision making) and, yet, is incredibly hard to control, redeemed only with a good story. If the story doesn't hook you (and, hell, if you don't journey on it might not) then its not much less shitty than the OC.

This applies to community creations, though not on the same level -- MotB is, after all, professional. But I do say that the PWs created amazing stuff that actually surpasses MotB in many ways.

Lhynn

Arcane
That's not a fair comparison. What he meant is that a game can be interesting in spite of the overall package, its what the Codex is all about. This applies to MotB which has easy to normal combat (in terms of decision making) and, yet, is incredibly hard to control, redeemed only with a good story. If the story doesn't hook you (and, hell, if you don't journey on it might not) then its not much less shitty than the OC.

This applies to community creations, though not on the same level -- MotB is, after all, professional. But I do say that the PWs created amazing stuff that actually surpasses MotB in many ways.
Yeah, pretty much. Its also worth adding that MotB has a defined lenght, when you are done with it you are mostly done with most of the quality content for NWN2. On the other hand NWN mod community has hundreds of quality modules that can take you places more interesting than any AAA game nowadays do and for the price of 10 bucks on GoG.

Also pretty epic persistent worlds as Delt pointed out, can provide you with hundreds of hours of fun, roleplaying with human beings while going to adventures made by actual Dungeon masters, with new and interesting systems and scripts that go far beyond what you would think that game can do.

Rake

Arcane

That's why i was asking. I haven't played any NWN mods because i disliked the engine. If i gave it a try, i would like a few suggestions. Good writing is a must, and in general the more storyfaggy the better.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
I've never finished MoTB because NWN2 is so bad to play.
You are missing out man. There are some UI and gameplay improvement mods, you should try them out, they should make it more bearable.

As for NWN 1, the game is a lot more enjoyable to play, the inventory is a blessing, the controls are responsive, and all in all its simply better in every conceibable way.

The worse part of the game were the god awful OC and the now extremely dated graphics.

Rake well, i dont have a good list on me right now, but you probably should start with Adam Miller modules Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher and Demon. They are a trilogy with decent to good writing and above all a clever use of scripts that by Demon it just gets downright impressive.

A dance with Rogues is often praised module, adult and with a good amount of C&C, personally i cant recommend it as ive never played it, mainly because it is aimed at female characters.

Penultima is a goofy campaign, pretty interesting world that reminds me a lot of my teenager years of PnP.

The bastard of Kosigan saga has "mature" writting and it definitely succeds at what the witcher tries and fails to do with its setting.

I think you have a remake of the Eye of the beholder that is pretty good, if you arent too much into blooblers you should try it, its been said to be more challenging than the original game.

There are several modules set in ravenloft that do a fairly good job with the setting.

I remember there were a couple of psychological horror ones, they were really good, cant remember the titles tho, so ill get back to you on that.

Because you only handle one character in this game, most of the modules are character and story driven, so a story fag should be right at home. A combat fag can get a lot out of the 3.X modified system, making builds and watching them perform at different levels is fun.

Duraframe300

Arcane
What?

:hmmm:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if some of these actually qualify as rpgs.

Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
Enchanted Arms

There are many more but these three take the price for me.

Perkel

Arcane
1. Oblivion
2. Neverwinter Nights
3. Dragon Age 2
4. Skyrim (vanilla)
5. Fallout 3
6. Mass Efect 2-3

resilient sphere

Educated
Gotta say that Dragon Age Origins is the game I least wanted to continue playing - teh family bought it so I was compelled to delve in, I think I got to some sort of haunted keep before putting the disc back in the box for good... the setting was undistinguished, all the characters were just so Buffy the Vampire Slayer that it was hate from first sight, plus I couldn't begin to care about the combat system.

I think I've given up on lots of so-so RPGs over the years but they at least can be forgiven for being projects of small devs, old as sin, just not for me etc. like Ultima 2 is dumb as heck but you discover what the author's sense of humour is like... DAO can't be excused because it was high-profile and made by an experienced team and just about everything about it was wroooooong. I can't imagine putting something innocuous like Whales Voyage on blast when it's an OK trader/single party crawler game that happens to have information conveyance problems when there are these huge disappointments of RPG gaming looming over us.

Topher

Cipher
NWN (OC) - It's the classic tale... I got bored hunting for bandits or some such by the docks, about 20min. into the game, and just called it quits.

Ultima 9 - A friend had the disk laying around, neither of us had ever played it, or any other Ultima game for that matter, and figured we'd give it a spin. Yeah, it was mediocre and we lost interest quickly.

Dragon Age: Origins- It just felt broken. I chose a human noble, thief class, and straight-up hated the combat. I didn't feel in control even during the opening vignette and my class abilities/skills/whatever felt useless against the constantly string of outnumbering opponents. I played through to the first boss, in that boring freaking tower, and just could be asked to care anymore.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel - Yeah, I actually really like the BG:Dark Alliance games but this game was a goddamn broken travesty.

Oblivion - What a bad game. I couldn't even enjoy dicking around aimlessly... and I got at least that out of Fallout 3.

Nights of Pen and Paper - Pure grind through an underdesigned copy/pasted game, complete fucking garbage. The whole thing was a simplistic waste of time that succeeded entirely on the back of the presses applause for mediocre "creative satire". What... the... fuck.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_is_love

You both are complaining about Dragon Age: Origins?

There's Dragon Age 2 which has one extremly retarded and forced plot, it isn't even funny.

It just feels like: Oh there's no conflict BOOOOOOOOOOM --> now there it is

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom