Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2024 - VOTING IS CLOSED

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Gargaune

Arcane
Where are JA3 fangirls in this poll? Oh right, they didn't even like the game much, but were just butthurt BG3 was the best game of the year.
Now, now, you can't draw that conclusion, it could easily be that said JA3 fangirls thought JA3 was better than BG3 in 2024 but neither was good enough to make their top 10 RPGs ever...

What this poll does categorically prove, however, is that NWN2 is better than BG3. :smug:

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The Witcher is also much better than BG3 according to poll. Must be because those ~40 alts/brand new accounts weren't spamming votes this time :smug:

Harthwain

Magister
Where are JA3 fangirls in this poll? Oh right, they didn't even like the game much, but were just butthurt BG3 was the best game of the year.
While I don't disagree, you can't really win against classic like Jagged Alliance 2. I voted for Gothic 1 instead of Gothic 2, for example, despite liking Gothic 2 a lot.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Now, now, you can't draw that conclusion, it could easily be that said JA3 fangirls thought JA3 was better than BG3 in 2024 but neither was good enough to make their top 10 RPGs ever...

What this poll does categorically prove, however, is that NWN2 is better than BG3. :smug:
The base game is definitely getting credit from MotB, I agonised a little over making the final spot NWN2 solely for MotB and one of the other games in contention was BG3. For me at least it's something like MotB>BG3>>>base NWN2.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's clear that BG3 absolutely minde broke the codex.
Not half as much as Jagged Alliance 3 winning Codex GotY mind broke you. :martini:
I didn't vote in this thread.
gentleman.gif

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's clear that BG3 absolutely minde broke the codex.
Not half as much as Jagged Alliance 3 winning Codex GotY mind broke you. :martini:
I didn't vote in this thread.
gentleman.gif
Can you live with yourself knowing Dungeon Master could've ranked higher?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Butter what min-reviews are missing at the moment?
These are the ones I currently have:

Disco Elysium: 2 (felipepepe, BosanskiSeljak)
The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos: 2 (Konjad, Optimist)
Knights of the Chalice 2: 1 (CryptRat)
Baldur's Gate 3: 1 (Konjad)
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous: 0
Elden Ring: 1 (Hell Swarm)
Brigand: Oaxaca: 1 (Konjad)
Caves of Lore: 1 (BosanskiSeljak)
Dungeon Rats: 2 (Konjad, CryptRat)
Prelude to Darkness: 1 (Konjad)
Avernum: Escape from the Pit: 0
Titan Outpost: 1 (Optimist)
Blackguards: 1 (CryptRat)
Colony Ship: 1 (Konjad)
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children: 0

Still need:
1 for Knights of the Chalice 2
1 for Baldur's Gate 3
2 for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
1 for Elden Ring
1 for Brigand: Oaxaca
1 for Caves of Lore
1 for Prelude to Darkness
2 for Avernum: Escape from the Pit
1 for Titan Outpost
1 for Blackguards
1 for Colony Ship
2 for Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children

I'll probably do one for Titan Outpost. It's not the end of the world if we get more than 2 for some games.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
At at glance, this list looks off. Quite a significant shift from the last one. For example, in a list of 101, D:OS and D:OS 2 placed #30 and #31 for greatest all time CRPGs. Now they're not even ranked. I would expect far more consistency out of a GOAT list. This one isn't awful, but it seems a bit off. I'm not just projecting biases either. Consider Pillars of Eternity. I have a pretty low opinion of that game, but it previously ranked #45 out of 101 GOAT. Now it's just gone. That's a massive shift. Then consider Diablo & Diablo 2. Previously D2 was 6 ranks above D1, but is now 16 ranks behind D1. Very inconsistent. I don't like it. We've got a problem with our sample pool, I think.
This has stuck with me because it has the veneer of credibility. Technical vernacular combined with numbers… hmmm can’t be a smooth brain.

Why would you expect such consistency in the GOAT voting? I expect it would be a heavily influenced by recency bias, as well as mood affiliation. Especially after a period of trauma like the great cRPG decade of drought.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Remove all votes from people who voted for stuff but won't provide a mini-review which takes 10 minutes. Space Rangers barely didn't make it into any list because of your fucking votes.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
On the contrary, they recognize JA3 is good but not "best RPG of all time" material. Meanwhile BG3 trannies think their favorite game is the next classic.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
At at glance, this list looks off. Quite a significant shift from the last one. For example, in a list of 101, D:OS and D:OS 2 placed #30 and #31 for greatest all time CRPGs. Now they're not even ranked. I would expect far more consistency out of a GOAT list. This one isn't awful, but it seems a bit off. I'm not just projecting biases either. Consider Pillars of Eternity. I have a pretty low opinion of that game, but it previously ranked #45 out of 101 GOAT. Now it's just gone. That's a massive shift. Then consider Diablo & Diablo 2. Previously D2 was 6 ranks above D1, but is now 16 ranks behind D1. Very inconsistent. I don't like it. We've got a problem with our sample pool, I think.
It's a significant shift because the voting system was changed entirely.

Had we always voted like this, we would have gotten similar results in the past.

The way it worked before you could weigh your votes for emphasis. I don't like the games I nominated in equal measures, but for the purpose of the poll they all have the same value: if I was the only voter, Planescape and Human Revolution would have the same value, but I have my preference (it's the one with gameplay).

It's a significant shift because the voting system was changed entirely.

Had we always voted like this, we would have gotten similar results in the past.

The way it worked before you could weigh your votes for emphasis. I don't like the games I nominated in equal measures, but for the purpose of the poll they all have the same value: if I was the only voter, Planescape and Human Revolution would have the same value, but I have my preference (it's the one with gameplay).
The voting system isn't the main factor.

Those who overrate mediocre games cannot assign high numbers to it, and the recency bias wore off (ex. Witcher 3, D:OS, etc.), while they got new games mediocre-slightly above average bland games to focus on. Despite that, those with good taste could cast a wider net meaning the games that aren't a locked top 5-10 pick had a better chance to take over.

There's a reason why 2019 is far inferior to 2014 and especially 2013 vote.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Well, cool. So what exactly is H. P. Lovecraft's Cat's problem?

Wait, I already know. He's drunk again.

I apologize for bothering you all with this. I should have known. Carry on.
He goes into multiple threads to rant about DD2 and how great it is. Most his posts in Elden Ring's thread is this garbage and yet he's not thread banned for it.

Dark souls 2 has 3 votes. Drag queen's dogma has 1 vote. That means Dark souls 2 is 3 times better than the drag queen game.
Why do you hate Dragon's Dogma 2? Show me on the doll where it touched you.

Harthwain

Magister
Butter

My review of Disco Elysium, as promised:
Disco Elysium

Disco Elysium is spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment in all but name. You wake up in a hotel room without any memory of what happened. What are you doing here? What kind of twisted reality is this? Hell... Who are you? Disco Elysium is an RPG about dealing with mid-life crissis. It is an absurd and funny journey in search for lost identity (or making up your own as you go. Because, yes, you can do that in this game). And you're not alone - you will always be accompanied by skills, serving as personifications of your body's capabilities.

This is where the RP part of the RPG kicks in: you can only perceive what you body can perceive and do what your body can do. Want encyclopedic knowledge of the world you found yourself in? You better level up Encyclopedia skill. But beware; while pumping up skills helps with corresponding skill checks, there are also certain downsides. Stronger skills will be more active but this doesn't mean their input will be reliable, useful or even safe to follow through. The connection between your character and your skills is what links Disco Elysium to well-known RPG classics such as Planescape: Torment, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Another aspect is the universe of Disco Elysium. It is a strange, new world. A bizzare reality where rational can be mixed with the unexplainable, and you have skills for THAT too! Is this just your imagination? Or is this real? That's up to you to find out. All in all, Disco Elysium is an RPG worth your time: the premise is a good excuse for exploration of an interesting setting, the writing is full of intelligent humour and the way how your character interacts with environment is a rare treat, even among RPGs.
I tried to keep it concise and without spoilers.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron

Still need:
1 for Baldur's Gate 3
1 for Elden Ring
1 for Caves of Lore
1 for Titan Outpost
1 for Blackguards
1 for Colony Ship

I'll probably do one for Titan Outpost. It's not the end of the world if we get more than 2 for some games.
I gave WotR a go, typed it up quickly so if there's anything important that I missed let me know and I'll edit it in.
Released in 2021 (and finally fully playable sometime in 2022) Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is the indirect sequel to 2018's Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Wrath of the Righteous is a sweeping power fantasy where your custom protagonist becomes the Knight Commander of Queen Galfrey's armies, charged with the task to defend Golarion and drive back the demons pouring out of the Worldwound, a tear in the fabric of between the worlds caused by the game's primary antagonist Areelu Vorlesh. WotR offers almost unprecedented freedom in how you achieve this goal through the Mythic path system, with each path giving unique changes to the story and endings, and shaping your character's abilities in combat. While not all Mythic paths are created equal in terms of content, each provides unique twists that massively increase replayability of this already substantial game. Like Kingmaker, Wrath of the Righteous is a party based isometric RPG that uses the First Edition Pathfinder ruleset complete with a slew of classes not included in its predecessor, including Arcanist, Bloodrager, Cavalier, Oracle, Skald, Shaman, War Priest and Witch. Other changes from Kingmaker include a number of QoL tweaks like camera rotation, improvements to the inventory system and a change in the minigames, with Kingdom Management being replaced by much more forgiving narrative events at your base and a more controversial and somewhat repetitive simplified HOMM3 style system where your armies battle the hordes of the abyss.

Overall, if you liked Kingmaker and think you would enjoy another adventure in Golarion, this time with the stakes turned up to 11, then you should absolutely check out Wrath of the Righteous.

EDIT: Also, while BG3 wasn't in my top 10 I still enjoyed it a lot so if nobody who voted for it provides a second review feel free to @ me and I'll write a paragraph on it.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Butter what min-reviews are missing at the moment?

Still need:
1 for Baldur's Gate 3
1 for Elden Ring
1 for Caves of Lore
1 for Titan Outpost
1 for Blackguards
1 for Colony Ship

I'll do you one for Avernum: Escape From The Pit as I've just replayed it.

What word count you looking for chap?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom