Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGCodex Minecraft Server

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
New bug: The End is completely gone, there's nothing there at all except for a tiny obsidian platform, floating in the void.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Sensors and forcefields....shit just got real.

deus101

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=5198

OK you cheese gobbling munchkins!

Read up!

Some important highlights i think.

- NEVER make a "x<5"-Second-Timer!!! (just search another way)
// In most cases you can do with far FAR less intervals anyway, especially for cobblestone generators.
- NEVER make a long waterproof Pipe!!! (because it causes graphical lag)
//DU whenever I come close to your entrance I lag like a motherfucker, I suspect your hydro-plant might be at fault here. Maybe closing the gap with water tanks might be a better solution, might be other possibilities.

1.1.5 Using Sortingmachines
many People are using Sortingmachines wrong, because
Chest adjacent to Sortingmachine + Timer == VERY BAD!
This Setup is much better:
Relay -> Tube -> Sortingmachine -> Output == Perfect!

And also(if it wasn't mentioned in the link...tl'dr)...Huge arrays of tin-cables = poopoo ! Each extra junction in the wiring needs extra calculation.

For example Fluffys solar plant, has a strip of tin wire under every solar panel.

He could either raise the solar panels in the middle row 1 block and put a single strip of wire under that so the entire array is hooked up.

X
X | X

not

XXX
| | |

Or this.

XXX|XXX|XXX
| | |

Tin cables is a cheap whore but you'll regret not wearing rubber with spearmint and strawberry flavour(shitty analogy for painting cables to separate them)

Now, I think muty have said that he's server can handle the strain, but it adds up...especially with the chunk loaders running these CPU grinders constantly.
But even if the server can handles it, the client(s) might not.

My client is so busy keeping tabs on chunks leagues away from me, It neglects the chunks In my proximity unless i come up close to rub my dick against it.

:neveraskedforthis:

Temaperacl

Erudite
- NEVER make a "x<5"-Second-Timer!!! (just search another way)
I've got a "couple" timers I can triple the duration on without much of an impact. I'll investigate how much higher I can set them before it impacts anything. They are already generally 4s, and there aren't that many, so it shouldn't make that big a difference, but every bit counts.

Code:
  X
X | X
This has the added impact of reduced resource expenditure.

Another option would be to craft them into arrays - that would drastically reduce the footprint and the EU/t being sent. Currently there are ~704 panels on that farm. Crafting these down would render 11 of the mid-level arrays or 1 high-level array and 3 mid levels. This could all be connected to 2 fibre optic wires, which would reduce the total packets and the pathfinding considerably.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Arrays would be nice, but Muty has nerfed them to only output 1/3 of the EU they usually do, so you'd be wasting 2/3 of your solar panels if you make arrays. They're good if you need compact power, but wasteful for general power.

deus101

Anyone else has any issues...f.eks Im myopic as fuck, I can make more chunks load but...sorta weird...its like Silent Hill.

well, Im running quite alright now, a memeory crash here and there but smooth enough for comfort.

Not sure if someone scaled down the their sequencer/timers or giving the client more cpu prioritization was the solution.

Maybe i should get the muiticore version of optifine.

Temaperacl

Erudite
Arrays would be nice, but Muty has nerfed them to only output 1/3 of the EU they usually do, so you'd be wasting 2/3 of your solar panels if you make arrays. They're good if you need compact power, but wasteful for general power.
I missed that - that is what I get for not measuring the actual output of the arrays and trusting to the description. Why were they nerfed? They seemed completely balanced, resource wise - it was a 1:1 EU/t translation + cost of the transformer. The only advantage over the huge arrays was the space.

deus101

Holy hell! Why didn't anyone tell me that the NPC guards were so bloody efficient! Mobs dont even attack them! Which means they can just wlak over to a creeper and knock it out without it exploding.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
There's an easier answer to reducing the lag: Disable chunk loaders.

Seriously. Why should fifteen million chunks be grinding away all the time?

Also, Cobblestone generators don't actually seem to work offline, even with chunkloaders. I think it's because the cobblestone isn't formed or something. All I know is when I'm online, I can get a chest full of cobblestone fairly quickly - and yet whenever I log ion after being offline, my cobblestone chest is completely empty.

And I'm not surprised that all that redstone shit lags the server up to fuckery and back.

Also, the whole point of those HV Solar Arrays was to reduce lag considerably. The fact they're nerfed obviously fucks that up.

//DU whenever I come close to your entrance I lag like a motherfucker, I suspect your hydro-plant might be at fault here. Maybe closing the gap with water tanks might be a better solution, might be other possibilities.
There's not much gap to close. It could just be the sheer quantity of them - and the number of redstone engines that are constantly pumping. I had noticed it myself and thought about knocking it all out - just to see if shit got better.

But yeah, I've noticed my place seems a little unresponsive. Mouse controls are laggy and a bit crap.

And FFS. How come updating Tekkit = EVERYTHING IN THE CONFIG FILE GETS WIPED? WTF!? I have to reset my fucking controls and waypoints. I've only done it twice but shit is tedious.

deus101

If you are experiencing contstant lagging at your place you might try to take down/drain the waterpipes.

As for what inflicts me and some other of myopia I'm clueless, The framerate can be fine, but still I can only see 2-3 chunks at most infront of me, and some unloades when i just move a few meters away.

Alot of people say "optifine"... but since me, Fluffy, Spec and temp have the same problem, it seems a bit unlikely that its a client only issue.

*Edit: this is directed at Muty offcourse.
Are you using the NoLagg plugin?
Some people have had issue with it before...might fit the bill since its a bunch of hacks trying to streamline chunkloading.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There's an easier answer to reducing the lag: Disable chunk loaders.

Seriously. Why should fifteen million chunks be grinding away all the time?
Because with Tekkit installed there are tons of time-consuming and entirely non-interactive industrial processes? Without chunkloaders we could either just forget those things exist, or stand around AFK all day while the machines do their work.

Anyway, if this game was competently programmed, chunkloaders would only tax the server, not the clients.

Edit: perhaps the poor performance is caused by bugs in the latest tekkit? Thing were running much better before the upgrade, and we had more or less the same industrial installations in place then.

Edit2: DarkUnderlord, are you sure your cobblegen is actually inside the chunkloader boundary? Mine seems to work the same whether I'm around or not.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hmmm... That may be a reason. I have a chunkloader not too far away but I guess it depends on where exactly the chunk boundaries are.

And deus101, I occasionally have the same issue at my place. Pretty sure things used to work fine for a long time too - and that was with my full water setup. It wasn't until I put my tubing in for my factory when things started going slow.

deus101

Non-interactive processes like the cobble generator, solar panel and matter generator producing 10 stacks of UU per day :smug:

Bah, JUWES ALL OF YA!

oh and...Does Turias now about his reactor?

Luzur

Good Sir
oh and...Does Turias now about his reactor?

Yeah either someone triggered it to explode or the server restart fucked with it but I don't care, utterly bored with the same old grind anyway.

What we need is to play some MineZ:

http://imgur.com/a/a0mV1

yeah but cant you just put a block of dirt att he door and then stand and kill zombies in relative safety? or are you not allowed to build anymore?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
No building, it's pure survival. It's a lot like DayZ in several aspects (including sharing your location and inventory over all the servers). I tried it on some EU server but the lag pretty effectively killed the fun, once they sort that out it'll be one sweet mod.

SoupNazi

I don't get things like that. Why remove build abilities from a game that's pretty much about building. It's like those tournament maps like hunger games and golden crown or whatever the map Yogscast people made is called, where for some reason you can't build. As far as I'm concerned, half of fun in Minecraft (and especially in Tekkit, which removes most of the exploration and dungeon crawling) is building stuff that can eventually roll over into PvP competition, rather than just straight up PvP competition in a prefab you can't affect.

Luzur

Good Sir

SCPCraft, now you can make and play with the monsters from Cleve's game!

WWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

well, yeah.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
What is it about Minecraft that encourages people to make horribly shitty youtube videos?

deus101

The cobblestone->scrap and quarry in tandem with the chunkloader makes the resource gathering rather trite.

But you have shitloads of stuff now use it to build something ambitious not just machinenery thats easy to scale and huge dongs made out of diamond blocks.

But I have an idea!
What if we go into teams and start making war machines! We have frames now! WHERE ARE THE FUCKING BATTLECRUISERS?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom