Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG's with dark atmosphere

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Temple of Elemental Evil

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Dark atmosphere? It's not an RPG, but I wish just one save-the-world-chosen111111 RPG had a plot similar to Myth: The Fallen Lords: relentlessly downbeat, always emphasising the increasingly hopeless odds, and a final victory that feels completely hollow next to the cost. That's what fighting the Supreme Dark Lord of Utter Darkness should feel like.

Major plot spoilers:

Yeah I loved Myth 2: The Soulblighter, prestigious game.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
No one mentioned Wizardry yet?

I'm disappointed.
Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
I was talking about the original, but fair enough.
Well, it sure is dark, but atmosphere? Bit too abstract for that, no?
Worked fine for me -- it nails the oppressive feel of roaming the dungeon with its gameplay mechanics and the limited draw distance and minimal graphics add to that.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
just turn the brightness down

and go to the Blighttown

latest

Silly Germans

Blackguards 1 & 2 are also rather dark and gloomy. The same goes for The Dark Eye: Demonicon.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fallout Tactics was pretty bleak imo. You explored abandoned factories or narrow street corridors with construction materials lying around and rebar sticking out of concrete... only for the eerie silence to be broken by stray dogs chasing you.

It's a real shame that Glen Cook is such an underrated author. His brand of bleak, economic storytelling would fit like a glove for games. I miss Myth so much.
It's a perennial mystery why The Black Company hasn't been adapted into more media. The guy never really got the credit or success his work deserves given its influence.

Yeah I loved Myth 2: The Soulblighter, prestigious game.
Balor in the first game was just a generic dark lord, but Soulblighter is a man who literally cut off his own face for power. He's a scary and memorable villain based on that one fact alone.

EldarEldrad

Savant

I'm disappointed.
Worked fine for me -- it nails the oppressive feel of roaming the dungeon with its gameplay mechanics and the limited draw distance and minimal graphics add to that.
It is not actually true, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of Mad Overlord has pretty light-hearted atmosphere. Manual is full of jokes and funny images and game itself has not too serious approach. Remember the poetic THE PIT at level two or that funny sign with working hours at Werdna doors.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

I'm disappointed.
It is not actually true, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of Mad Overlord has pretty light-hearted atmosphere. Manual is full of jokes and funny images and game itself has not too serious approach. Remember the poetic THE PIT at level two or that funny sign with working hours at Werdna doors.
The humor is contrasted by the brutality of the gameplay itself. Guess it's a matter of opinion at this point -- I spent most of the time crawling and dealing with tense encounters, while the humor provided some relief.

deama

Prophet
Lawless lands -- it's an rpg maker game, but very well made. It's set in a region that's been overrun by a great plague and is having a hard time handling it.
ss_27f3f503e4342773d86b0d1b2b709c707ac8e7f2.600x338.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

I'm disappointed.

Yeah I dont get calling Wizardry "dark", its pretty light hearted

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom