Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: Fallout and Elder Scrolls remasters from inXile

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Could have been an incline, but I very much doubt Fargo’s capabilities in anything beyond meh

Who the fuck enjoys rotating cameras around all the time? This shit drives me up the wall

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is decline though. Rotatable isometric camera is never a good thing. Playing Divinity: Original Sin, you spend half the time fighting the camera.

Who the fuck enjoys rotating cameras around all the time? This shit drives me up the wall

Wasteland 3 found the best possible solution: the game is designed for a default view but you can use the keyboard to fully rotate it and set it back to the default view for the edge cases where it's really beneficial to view things from another angle.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This is decline though. Rotatable isometric camera is never a good thing. Playing Divinity: Original Sin, you spend half the time fighting the camera.

Wasteland 3 found the best possible solution: the game is designed for a default view but you can use the keyboard to fully rotate it and set it back to the default view for the edge cases where it's really beneficial to view things from another angle.

Eh. I am playing W3 right now for the first time and there have been multiple instances of items hidden in a corner I could only see by moving the camera around.

I simply don't see any reason why to include that in the first place. What's positive about a rotatable camera in a topdown RPG?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh. I am playing W3 right now for the first time and there have been multiple instances of items hidden in a corner I could only see by moving the camera around.

I simply don't see any reason why to include that in the first place. What's positive about a rotatable camera in a topdown RPG?
I already mentioned why. There are times in Fallout and Shadowrun and probably other games where I wished I could rotate the camera, level design won't ever be completely perfect throughout an entire game. This is why the demand for rotation exists in the first place.

mkultra

Augur
There's very little that a small team could do anyways, even in let's say 5 years (and there's no way they're gonna work on it for 5 years).
We have mods that has been going for 10-15+ years, updated, expanded upon, fixed, many hundreds of people who has contributed.

It's not like Fallout 1-2 can be changed graphically much, you can't make higher res images, that would require a new engine (=remake).

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
In many cases a remaster is impossible because the source code was lost. It is still possible to do a very close remake like Pharaoh: A New Era, but that's just as expensive as making a new game from scratch so most companies don't greenlight that. Icewind Dale 3 hasn't received a remaster because the source code has been lost and making an interpreter would be very expensive even if you don't need to create wholly new art assets (as the IE remasters still use the original graphics for the most part). Same for Homeworld: Emergence.

I don't expect that the source code for Fallout 1 and 2 is still around, so we're probably unlikely to see remasters. At this point, I suspect we're more likely to see complete 3D remakes similar to the FF7 remake. I have no idea how likely that is compared to making a Fallout 5 or whatever.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I wasn't aware of shadowkey. I found a couple of emulatirs for N-gage and a few roms but I dunno if they'll work.

Remakes of Arena & Daggerfall? I dunno. Even if they could fuck around and add them together in a new engine combining Battlespire, Redguard, and Shadowkey (anything else you wanna stuff in there?) Would it be any good and hos much would be neutered and filtered/censored? And modern agenda shit?

Can't see it happening

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

I already mentioned why. There are times in Fallout and Shadowrun and probably other games where I wished I could rotate the camera, level design won't ever be completely perfect throughout an entire game. This is why the demand for rotation exists in the first place.

Can you name those instances in Fallout for example?

As said, playing Wasteland 3 atm and its actually decent. But the camera is just so annoying, I dont understand people who love turning the viewpoint around.

To me it is the same as it a GM would constantly move around the 'map' in a real life tabletop session.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can you name those instances in Fallout for example?
Interiors could get tricky.

But the camera is just so annoying, I dont understand people who love turning the viewpoint around.

This is weird to me because other than not being able to disable the zoom-in when initiating dialogue, my experience with the camera was like 90+% leaving it right where it was. Meanwhile in something like Divinity Original Sin 2 I'm having to swing it around all the time.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I have to agree, W3 is the smoothest out of all the nu-RPGs the last years in terms of this. It just feels disorienting to me, and yeah the dialogue zoom in is annoying.

I think I could live with it if the games offered more strict orthographic perspectives as default. Just more sharp angles in the render, not just 'lets put the camera up there'. Know what, this is so annoying to me, maybe I pull up 3ds max and make some screenshots for comparison.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
HOLY FUCK THATS A HUGE RAT!!

I almost had a Thunderscape flashback.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
The best 3d isometric camera is in Titan Quest/Grim Dawn. Not even once I had the urge to ratate something. Im just playing the game here, not camera.

Tafferontheroof

Barely Literate
It is still possible to do a very close remake like Pharaoh: A New Era

Please don't mention that travesty perpetrated by those Frog pansies.

Also, Fallout doesn't need a remaster and everything prior to Daggerfall could benefit from a remaster but you know that it would be godawful. I can't think of a single necessary remaster/remake or any previously beloved developer from the nineties who isn't either greedy, degenerate, or both in the 'current year'.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wait.. everything prior to Daggerfall?

That leaves just Arena unless you count terminator games.

Tafferontheroof

Barely Literate

Sorry, yes. I was installing Daggerfall at the time, I meant Morrowind. Arena was before my time so I've no business commenting on that.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyway, gog doesn't have Skyrim and I noticed some of the swag is missing from the games they do have. I found files elsewhere (still lazy of gog)

and.... I saw this:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

You're forgetting about Bethesda's origins as a sports-game developer for the Commodore Amiga:

we7rLJd.png

iNVKtvC.png

QK9KTim.png

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They used the same exact picture of Wayne Gretzky for the first and second games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom