Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

We've got the Yakuza series, we've got the samurai spinoff, there's even a zombie spinoff...I wonder what a sci-fi Yakuza game would look like? Cyberpunk?

Deflowerer

Arcane

Silentstorm

Learned
We've got the Yakuza series, we've got the samurai spinoff, there's even a zombie spinoff...I wonder what a sci-fi Yakuza game would look like? Cyberpunk?
That would be better than Cyberpunk 2077 honestly.

Still, i think we deserve weirder or more unexpected, give me Caveman Yakuza(by this i mean the fake idea of cavemen living with dinosaurs), follow the for real first ancestor of Kiryu with a loincloth and have one Heat Action being basically throwing a guy at a T-Rex, maybe even have a mini game of training velociraptors to race and the Majima equivalent uses a stone dagger and a leaf as an eyepatch.

...I was joking but i would actually buy and play this now that i think about it.

Alphons

Cipher
Finished Yakuza 6 and while I've enjoyed it, some stuff was just worse than other games.

Clan Creator, combat and EXP balance were definitely improved in Kiwami 2.
While later levels of Majima Construction were still annoying, I did not feel like I had to grind for EXP. I gave up in 6 and just used the promo codes to push through it.
Combat is just not as smooth as Kiwami 2 and doesn't have the depth of previous games. There're like 10 Heat Actions?
Getting EXP was grindy even with both training gears.
The card system for hostesses is definitely a downgrade from 5, which I thought hit a sweet spot.
No Colosseum, Champion District and Park Boulevard blocked off by barriers, all gambling games (aside from mahjong) removed. Collecting cats and virtual chat are pretty meh.

Spearfishing, New Gaudi and Warriors are great though.
Karaoke had a good selection (especially hands).
I've really enjoyed Onomichi and it manages to be more than just Ryukyu 2.0.
It was nice to see some old faces appearing in substories.
Regarding main story
the ship is dumb and I was baffled that this was the "mystery of Onomichi".
Iwami Jr didn't have much going for him.

I've really enjoyed Hirose-san (I even got surprised after his real role was revealed) and Someya.

Naguto was great and rest of Hirose's guys were alright.

My 2 favourite moments have to be Kiryu punching Yuta through the door (and then Yuta telling about it to Haruka) and Sugai commiting suicide after he said "YUME".

There were a lot of story fights in front of Hirose office.

I have 3 hostesses, the rest of cats, Amon and some other minor completion things left for 100%.

Last edited:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
What's the best yakuza judging by gameplay alone? Most comparison articles I can find talk up the story too much, meaning more than the combat, world design and quantity/quality of side activities.

Alphons

Cipher
What's the best yakuza judging by gameplay alone? Most comparison articles I can find talk up the story too much, meaning more than the combat, world design and quantity/quality of side activities.

I'd go with 0 and 5. I have yet to play Judgments or the new TB Yakuza.

0 has 2 playable characters, each with 4 different fighting styles you can freely switch around during combat.
Majority of the minigames from other games like fishing, pool, bowling, Western and Japanese gambling games, darts, arcade and fishing are included. The only unique minigame is Pocket Circuit racing which appears only in 0 and Kiwami 1.
You also have 2 bigger side stories with running a real estate company (this one is pretty barebones with just waiting for money to generate and then spending it on property) and a hostess club.
After ending the game you also have a set of combat challenges (some of them are super hard).

5 is pretty similar, but instead has 5 characters, 4 of which have different combat styles (5th one instead engages in dancing competitions and has appropriate skills for that).
You have 4 bigger side stories that have you work as an idol, pick up taxi fares and compete in street races, hunt animals and play baseball.
It has some unique minigames like snowball battle royale, running a noodle stand, rooster races, stand up and an arcade game where you set planetary defenses to fight aliens.
5 has both cities from 0, plus 3 more which appeared only in 5.

Modron

Arcane
Zero and Kiwami definitely have the best combat of the series. Which counts for a lot considering how much combat Yakuza games have.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's a video of a Like A Dragon Ishin! (man, I need to get used to the name change!) demo during night time.

aweigh

Arcane
Just finished Judgment... great game!

Loved the combat, probably the most fun I've had doing combos and heat moves in a Yak game.

Brief thoughts: Story has some pacing problems but it sorts itself out eventually and finishes strongly; combat is amazingly entertaining though it also suffers from the same pacing problems in that it takes too long to open up. Only thing I legitimately disliked was the skillbook system. Everything should be buyable early, just gate them behind steep requirements.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon remains my favorite still, but I thoroughly enjoyed Judgment and plan to get the sequel.

Modron

Arcane
Team4kl starting to trickle out some info about Kurohyou 1 translation,

Seems like they are going to reveal the extent of their progress on the translation soon as well.

Seems the hostess bit from 2 is on the backburner:

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
As much as I hate Yakuza 5, it is pretty funny that Haruka takes a giant shit over Park's ambitions (or """"""""""""""DREAM""""""""""""""""") at the very end. I don't think it was intentional but that's definitely what she does. Too bad she does it too late for it to change their fate.

Vatnik Wumao
Haruka on her own also fucked her life by becoming a teenage mom, so it's arguable whether she would be better off doing what her manager wanted for her in the first place.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Haruka on her own also fucked her life by becoming a teenage mom, so it's arguable whether she would be better off doing what her manager wanted for her in the first place.
I am also very positive that Kiryu's life would have been a lot more blessed and peaceful if Haruka never existed. He probably would have wound up getting involved with someone else and helping them. But Haruka has never been a positive impact on his life. That's why I wish she never woke up. But then again, Kiryu would have kept and raised the child and would most likely have been pulled into some other problems.

And the best pussy he could have ever had fucked off to the USA never to be heard from again. In a perfect world Yumi didn't exist, thus Haruka never existed and fate would have been kinder for Kiryu. Maybe Kirya and Kaoru met under different circumstances. And they had a happily ever after.

Vatnik Wumao
I am also very positive that Kiryu's life would have been a lot more blessed and peaceful if Haruka never existed. He probably would have wound up getting involved with someone else and helping them. But Haruka has never been a positive impact on his life. That's why I wish she never woke up. But then again, Kiryu would have kept and raised the child and would most likely have been pulled into some other problems.

And the best pussy he could have ever had fucked off to the USA never to be heard from again. In a perfect world Yumi didn't exist, thus Haruka never existed and fate would have been kinder for Kiryu and he and Kaoru met under different circumstances. And they had a happily ever after.
Kiryu is honestly a rather sad cuck who tries to heal the wounds in his heart with hostess girls.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

And the best pussy he could have ever had fucked off to the USA never to be heard from again. In a perfect world Yumi didn't exist, thus Haruka never existed and fate would have been kinder for Kiryu and he and Kaoru met under different circumstances. And they had a happily ever after.
Kiryu is honestly a rather sad cuck who tries to heal the wounds in his heart with hostess girls.
Least he got "non-canon" pussy every time. The hotel district knows all of Kiryu's sins. So does the view from the batting centre (if you catch what I mean)

Modron

Arcane
Kiryu hass even pulled a Fantadomat a few times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom