Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming November 20th

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
TBQH bratans, the gameplay - what little we see of it - looks good. The movement looks good, the animations look great, the anomalies are appropriately otherwordly. There's no fucking crafting, and healing items don't take 10 years to use so we can safely rule out the influence of MISERY that everyone was fearing.

My only concern is that for a "gameplay" trailer, a lot of this was scripted cutscenes. I remain cautiously optimistic only because Alife 2.0 has been confirmed, and I cant imagine them wasting a computationally expensive scheme like that if they were just going to make a COD clone.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
well, a-life is basically dmitriy iassenev's baby. you can see him manning a .50 cal in ukrainian war awareness video that gsc put out. he's presumably still fighting

vibehunter

Learned
I noticed frame drops as well. Not something you want to include in a promotional trailer. Makes me think the game will run like ass.

Gerrard

Arcane
and healing items don't take 10 years to use so we can safely rule out the influence of MISERY that everyone was fearing.
The health restoration is near instant though which is major decline. You shouldn't be able to heal in the middle of a fight, which is what players have been saying from before CoP came out, and the reason why in CoP medkits heal over time.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I noticed frame drops as well. Not something you want to include in a promotional trailer. Makes me think the game will run like ass.
Not as rare as you might think for a big game's promotional trailer. The official first ever lets-show-the-world-how-good-our-game-is gameplay reveal trailer for Starfield was running at like 20FPS with major stutters. Maybe the people who edit such videos together are just blind? The human eye can only see at 5 frames per second after all.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
With recent invasion there's huge chance they won't keep old little green men like they were shown in the original trilogy so maybe just change the original game's Ukrainian military into Russian military, and keep how brain dead they were for authenticity

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I bet it will be a CoD clone.

Theres a risk of that, and the plethora of Look At Me I'm ACTTTING sequences we've seen suggests a lot of influence from the CoD remake, but I still doubt it because again: why go to the trouble of developing a computationally expensive scheme like A-Life 2 if you're not actually going to put it to use in the game? It would, of course, be a much simpler and quicker development to just make a scripted setpiece shooter.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
They added a compass with locations in the top of the screen. :decline:
Decline from what? This?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-_Call_of_Pripyat.jpg

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
why go to the trouble of developing a computationally expensive scheme like A-Life 2 if you're not actually going to put it to use in the game? It would, of course, be a much simpler and quicker development to just make a scripted setpiece shooter.

Is there any evidence that ‘A-Life 2’ as developed for Stalker 2 is comparable to the original?

Terenty

Liturgist
If there was any A-life worth a shit in the game they would be parading it in every video. So far only cutscenes

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
There is no evidence that there even will be something like A-Life.
It was confirmed years ago:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/23/stalker-2-is-coming-to-xbox-series-x/
Both monsters and factions that inhabit the Zone are constantly interacting with each other. The previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games introduced A-Life — a living world simulating system. The reimagined version of this system, which we call A-Life 2.0, will control the state of the world and the behavior of characters and mutants, making the Zone ever-changing and truly alive. Countless events and encounters will happen every moment — even if you are not around to witness them with your own eyes.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
There is no evidence that there even will be something like A-Life.
It was confirmed years ago:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/23/stalker-2-is-coming-to-xbox-series-x/
Both monsters and factions that inhabit the Zone are constantly interacting with each other. The previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games introduced A-Life — a living world simulating system. The reimagined version of this system, which we call A-Life 2.0, will control the state of the world and the behavior of characters and mutants, making the Zone ever-changing and truly alive. Countless events and encounters will happen every moment — even if you are not around to witness them with your own eyes.

They talk in future tense, my point stand - no evidence either through gameplay or dev-diary of anything like a-life.

Gerrard

Arcane
If there was any A-life worth a shit in the game they would be parading it in every video. So far only cutscenes
There was no A-life "worth a shit" in the original games either, so I'm not sure what your point is. It was nothing more than a background element.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
There was no A-life "worth a shit" in the original games either, so I'm not sure what your point is. It was nothing more than a background element.

COP has most elaborate a-life, but its true that open xray mods like misery, call of chernobyl and anomaly expanded on it considerably.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

A solid overworld AI system and battlefield AI that just isn’t going to be matched in 2023. It wasn’t perfect but why should I expect something as competent to come of Stalker 2?

Gerrard

Arcane

COP has most elaborate a-life, but its true that open xray mods like misery, call of chernobyl and anomaly expanded on it considerably.
Anomaly? Nothing happens in Anomaly. Even in CoP you will see more groups of mutants and/or stalkers fighting in the distance. Anomaly is just empty.
And unless they actually make NPCs sell and buy stuff, complete tasks themselves, upgrade their gear, etc. it really isn't different from from any other game that has scripted NPCs "doing stuff". It doesn't help that NPCs are TERRIBLE at fighting mutants, on purpose, and doing this would require a complete rework of the game's economy and how it works.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I love the idea of elaborate A-life and "radiant" AI in games but I hate that it will frequently cause issues in games like STALKER contributing to microstutter and what not. I heard even NLC7 deempasizes A-life to concentrate on other mechanics and story elements. What are some Stalker mods that really showcased A-lfe and really pushed it, and didn't do it in a half-assed "I... am a MODDER!" way? In other news, I just bought a Royal Kludge RK96 90% wireless KB to ween myself off of a controller and get back to good ol' WASD and mouse like da old days of classic Doom and Duke3D. Damn, it's awkward getting used to a full sized (nearly) KB with numberpad again after so many years with a BT 60% KB that could fit in the hand of a baby.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom