Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
leave and make six figures coding banking software.
Way easier said than done.

Depends where you're located and what you're familiar with. If you're in the US, willing to move and have an even rudimentary knowledge in Go/Scala/Java or any of the other in-demand languages and their common applications (I think Python is still very popular with FIs too), then whooo boy, all you need to do is really hop on the gravy train.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
leave and make six figures coding banking software.
Way easier said than done.

Depends where you're located and what you're familiar with. If you're in the US, willing to move and have an even rudimentary knowledge in Go/Scala/Java or any of the other in-demand languages and their common applications (I think Python is still very popular with FIs too), then whooo boy, all you need to do is really hop on the gravy train.
When I think "banking software," I often think C/C++.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Yup, you're right, I think that, Java and Python round out the top 3. Oooh forgot about SQL, that was the big one I used work around (I'm not a coder, former copywriter).
You used Java, Python, and SQL as a copywriter?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yup, you're right, I think that, Java and Python round out the top 3. Oooh forgot about SQL, that was the big one I used work around (I'm not a coder, former copywriter).
You used Java, Python, and SQL as a copywriter?

No, keyword is around, not on. I worked alongside coders who did.

Copywriters don't get paid badly, but even I was jelly of those coder salaries.

justincz

Scholar
6fjFOQU.png

Poseidon00

Arcane

This isn't remotely true. Rudimentary knowledge of a few programs will get you nowhere. Even entry level contracts nowadays demand you be multi skilled and have at least an intermediary knowledge of each one of the skills you must use. And even then, you are usually underpaid for it and getting a contract doesn't necessarily make it easier to do so again in the future.

Believe me, i've done it. No desire to continue down that road. You can get fast-tracked up the ranks at a major company if you are even a semi-competent minority though. Seen it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
And even then, you are usually underpaid for it and getting a contract doesn't necessarily make it easier to do so again in the future.

If you think coders are underpaid, I should probably ask what careers you think have a fair salary.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Fuck off you bitchy cunt,if you don't like your job,change it. I really can't stand whiny retards that do almost no work and whine for more money when they get a few times the medium national salary.

Don't be mad at me because I once made more money than you, poor person. I don't control your failure of a life. If it makes you feel better, I already said I don't do it anymore. The reward wasn't worth the effort when I could make a little less money for a lot less bullshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck off you bitchy cunt,if you don't like your job,change it. I really can't stand whiny retards that do almost no work and whine for more money when they get a few times the medium national salary.

Don't be mad at me because I once made more money than you, poor person. I don't control your failure of a life. If it makes you feel better, I already said I don't do it anymore. The reward wasn't worth the effort when I could make a little less money for a lot less bullshit.
Muh,don't care who makes what money lol. Just can't stand retards that bitch over not making money instead of working on the problem.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If you think coders are underpaid, I should probably ask what careers you think have a fair salary.

Money has a funny way of distorting perspective. I belong to the upper 5th percentile in annual wage in my country. I don't feel particularly "rich", and could definitely earn more. Yet when I look at how much I earned in my first summer job, and think that there were people doing that full-time...

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Same here, Haba. I just think that lumping all coders together is wrong thing to do. The difference of a salary of someone who can only do JS, even the modern react/node stuff, vs. someone who actually understands how computers and networks work and can write GOOD low level code is enormous.

Hey Trans-Financial-Man, you seem to be connected to the industry - mind throwing your five cents here?

I've already spoken about Star Citizen many times on this very thread.

I like the game. I installed it on my SSD and when I try it out every 6 months or so I don't encounter nearly the same amount of bugs others do. I have fun for the brief time I play it and then uninstall it to wait for the next major patch

To clear something up, I am not "well connected" in the gaming industry. I had one dev job that wasn't really a job. However some of the people I knew from that and other jobs have since become influential Silicon Valley Shekelbergs. They all like to talk to one another and travel in the same circles. I've kept in contact with them loosely over the years. Very occasionally I hear the odd leak. Which I almost never talk about because plans can always change and I'd just look like a fucking idiot making shit up. It'd be easy to trace shit back to me in some cases. So for the most part I keep my mouth shut.

Regarding Star Citizen development. Chris Roberts recently came out of the woodwork to answer a few questions. I think he did a good job giving informed answers about the current problems facing the game's development. The thing is, he went on one of his long autistic rants he used to do in the glory days of Derek Smart making a good case for why he deserves to be committed to a psychiatric institution. My problem is that one of the things he said is "people like to think cynically of Star Citizen" or something along those lines. Which annoyed me with the stunning lack of both self awareness and awareness of community bitterness right now.

Star Citizen goes through very long, sometimes year long periods where nothing of note is ever revealed and all we see are slowly shrinking roadmaps with promised features taken off. With no communication as to why. Chris did a good job explaining that they still have issues with server meshing, ICache and so on. But if Chris really wants to stop cynical speculation, at least among backers he or some paid autist like Ben Lesbo or Disco Soydo needs to communicate the current blockers, why they're blocking things and how it's causing delays. When we get nothing. All we can do is speculate, and when we know they're not talking the first thing we're all going to think is that they aren't talking because things are going wrong. Thus speculation begins because we can do nothing else. And we have nothing else to gain an informed opinion with. I know companies who get people in HR purely to make community updates. They run around the studio, get status updates on development from all departments and then filter and write it into some easily understandable community update.

CIG has something like 3 different video shows on. One of which is supposedly for just the purpose of updating the community. But it's just fluff right now. Make it monthly, go round all the teams and get a short statement of what they're working on. Go on the subreddit, figure out what's been speculated on. What are the community's worries. And make that the focus of the monthly episode. Currently our big fear is Squadron 42 eating up time and resources for Star Citizen. And we are all speculating that it could be because certain features of Squadron 42 are also necessary for SC and because Sq42 is having problems that is delaying the dev of Star Citizen. Hence why news has dried up. Because they are at an impasse. But we don't actually know that this is the case. We are all just speculating. Maybe things are just fine. But considering no one is talking all we can do is assume they aren't and CIG just don't want to talk about it. If they communicated the real, rational explanation for the delays. Maybe people wouldn't get annoyed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom