Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Perkel

Arcane
Well at least there is something they can be proud of.
unknown.png

This is the first anything that saturated completely my internet connection without using tricks like Jdownloader. Aside from that only Epic Store was able to get to around 100mb/s

Inb4 "Saw a mudcrab the other day. Horrible creatures". This is a marketing trick for cucks.

Well the difference between bad and amazing is in how you deliver it. 99% on this forum expects from RPGs NPCs to have schedules for day and night and follow some systems that create "emergent" gameplay like ability to steal quest item from house instead of doing quest.

That is the level of autism they pursue. In high definition which means everything takes forever and probably by the time they finish some level/station their systems team comes up with something new/better and whole thing needs to be scrapped.

Apparently from SC leaks production on SQ42 was restarted in 2017 and they scrapped most of work.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
No wonder they need 100 years to finish it.
It's taking them years to finish because it's more profitable for them to keep the game in perpetual development than to release a finished product.

All their bullshit promises are just that, bullshit. Roberts and company are just scammers selling pipe dreams to gullible retards.

Dexter

Arcane
No wonder they need 100 years to finish it.
It's taking them years to finish because it's more profitable for them to keep the game in perpetual development than to release a finished product.

All their bullshit promises are just that, bullshit. Roberts and company are just scammers selling pipe dreams to gullible retards.
There is no "finished product" or any product other than spaceship JPGs lol: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...um/3/thread/star-citizen-birthday-ama/3435007
robshitizensk1j82.jpg

Myobi

Liturgist
Red Dead Redemption 2, Last of US 2 and now Cyberpunk have all taken a lot longer than originally communicated and those projects didn't even announce a release date until very deep into their production, when most of their tech had been resolved.

The usual "you can't compare SC to any other game (unless its convenient) cuz its special!", some one needs to inform him how those games got financed thought.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Squadron 42 is not bug free and really polished and fun to play, Roberts will be shredded by journalists and fundamentalist doubters.

Also SQ42 it will be a hail Mary for the whole project to attract additional funds.

Everything rests on the shoulders of SQ42 and Roberts knows that.

Myobi

Liturgist
If Squadron 42 is not bug free and really polished and fun to play

No game is "bug free", especially not a game like Squadron 42.

However, this sure as hell serves as a great excuse to keep delaying it year after year from what was originally announced.

If Roberts will be shredded by journalists and fundamentalist doubters.

Yes. He will. Regardless. And rightfully deserved too. Just like Sean Murray.

Also SQ42 it will be a hail Mary for the whole project

Ahahahah.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok I regret it. Perkel wins.

I tried yesterday to see 3.11 patch and this is my 3 hours gametime with it:

- I tried to mine stuff, I took my Drake Cutlass ship which is medium combat/freighter. I went to Arial Moon of Hurston to Bezdek mining outpost. There i spawned ROC ground mining vessel since doing mining in cave is boring and i don't have money to buy legit space ship focused on mining. I loaded that ROC onto Cutlass freight bay and went to search for some mining spots. Found some, landed, unloaded ROC and i started breaking rocks. Then i went to pick up those crystals. After a while i had 2-3 crates of those crystals. I go into ship, i sit on pilot chair and nothing works, neither i can get out of seat. So respawn it is losing those 2-3 crates.
- Woke up on space station and did same as above but i had to naturally wait for Cutlass to be delivered from Arial 4 minutes before i could take off. Again Arial same outpost. I want to spawn ROC there and do the same thing as above loading it up to cutlass. Nada. Turns out i got bug where i have to go to completely different moon/planet in order for game to spawn ROC again there. So i did that, went to Aberdeen which is moon next door spawned there ROC and did the same as above. The only difference is that just before i started firing laser from ROC on first rock i got 30k error which means server crashed.
- Same thing as above, i got to similar spot mined like one rock then i wanted to load ROC again to Cutlass and fly to other site few km away from where i mined. This time when i was driving on Cutlass ramp toward freightbay for some reason ROC fell down through it and planet surface...
- 4th time was pretty fast. Same thing as above but i didn't even manage to go to the moon to load ROC. 30k error again
- 5th time i actually managed to mine something and even sell it for 40k credits. Instead of waiting for inevitable error since i managed to play around 60minutes without one i thought i was smart and i decided to log out from game via my ship bed. So the idea was that i have loaded ROC in Cutlass near mining spots on Arial so when i loggoff from Cutlass bed i will get back right to when i left off with new hopefully fresh server and save time this. Alas it did that, i got back precisely to where i left off. Problem is that when i turned my ship engines on suddenly ship fell down through surface of planet. I thought "nope" but i actually managed to fly out of underground to surface and continue flying and mining for a while. When i was going back to sell crystals for some reason i decided to quit pilot seat to drink and when i get back to it camera started to go into right direction without any input and i couldn't do anything.
- 6th time was the shortest. I just logged in and elevator didn't work at which point i just gave up.

So in 3h i got only 40k credits where i should get at least 150-200k if not a bit more. For comparison cheapest ship you can buy in game is around 250k while something like Prospector which is base mining ship is around 2 000 000. Something like Argo Mole which is top end mining ship with 3 mining lasers requiring 4 crew members to operate efficiently is about 10 000 000. ROC i was using is about 170k and Cutlass i was loading it on about 1,5mln which i got from game package.

Without bugs/errors/crashes it would be pretty decent space sim working your way up toward some bigger ships but with those you can't effectively earn money from mining at least. With other stuff like hunting, doing deliveries, trading i earned up around 300k in around 10 hours playing and mostly because i got Freelancer/Cutlass from game package which allows trading for decent money.

Tried to play with Aurora which is starting ship to see how can you "rise" out of nothing and getting your first bigger ship is doable in reasonable timeframes. So it is not like they force you to buy those ship packs.

Like i said game is simply not ready for anyone who actually want to play game and have good time, it is mostly for freaks like me who like to observe stuff being worked on.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like piracy is a thing now since 3.11 which is another stealth update i guess but i thing not really intended for now. Below video of guys testing and researching how you can steal stuff.

TLDR:
- hand minables with ROC and hand lasers can be stolen if packed into boxes.
- Anyone can access ROC cargo space for mined ore.
- Anyone can make box with goods out of ROC cargo box.
- Anyone can take goods in form of boxes from any ship as long as they get in.
- Stuff is "illegal" and it can't be sold in normal places but GrimHex or Dalamar.

justincz

Scholar
https://massivelyop.com/2020/10/19/...ubscribers-according-to-gathered-public-data/

So a Star Citizen backer is running numbers in a bid to figure out how the backer numbers are skewed/inaccurate. His conclusion:

• 75% of 2.8m accounts are non-backers
  • 720K are backers with skin in the game (probably thousands with multiple accounts per backer)
  • 62k backers are concierge ($1000+ spent)
  • 142+ backers with Million Mile High Club access ($10k+ packs)
  • 34k subscribers (pay each month)

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
There is no "finished product" or any product other than spaceship JPGs lol: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...um/3/thread/star-citizen-birthday-ama/3435007
robshitizensk1j82.jpg

I'm getting duke nukem forever vibes now. The fact that he's comparing himself to the current standard is where 3D Realms went wrong. Watch him completely rework the mechanics to copycat Cyberpunk I'm calling it.

Also paying a monthly sub for this game in development makes little sense as well. I'm getting Shroud of the Avatar vibes from this. What is it with rich origin developers asking for hand outs for some pathetic attempt to relive past glory.
I'd be fine with Robberts releasing another game in the standard of Freelancer... Hell I'd even settle for Wing Commander at this point.
With Garriot I would've been fine with a classic Isometric Ultima game. Its their constant need to humour their own egos that's leading to them making really poor decisions.
You know its bad when John Romero of all people got it right! And he wasn't even at Origin for that long lol.

"Still have a ways to go before we're in beta" 7 God damn years people. He's going for the record watch out 3D Realms.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Initially I was a supporter of Crowd Sourcing/funding but after all of the major disasters we've seen mostly come from AAA developers using it I now oppose it. The only reason I supported it in the first place is because I felt it gave Indies the opportunity to avoid falling for malicious publishing deals. But in the end all we've really seen is developer after developer rorting the system both AAA and Indie. I used to use Star Citizen as an example of how to pitch a crowd source project in my classes and lets all face it the pitch was very convincing for people otherwise they wouldn't have gotten the millions they got. The problem is that the pitch concept was eventually abandoned and redone resulting in a level of scope creep I've never seen before in a game. Not even Spore was this bad. It was a blatant bait and switch, they had no product and flat out lied.

Publishers cracking the whip was important mostly from a creep standpoint but I feel now its gotten so bad that they no longer allow chances to be taken and so you see them chasing simplistic fads. You still need to have some innovation and creativity but you also need a money man telling "you're gonna have to ship it eventually" Roberts has no ship date and so he'll likely develop for years still chasing pointless tangents that add nothing to his bloated space ship cubby house simulator.

Sadly all of this will just result in more distrust in the market. It'd be nice to have customers able to genuinely enjoy and get excited by something that legitimately deserved it and delivered. It feels like such a long time since I ever felt that about a game.

Perkel

Arcane
Also paying a monthly sub for this game in development makes little sense as well. I'm getting Shroud of the Avatar vibes from this. What is it with rich origin developers asking for hand outs for some pathetic attempt to relive past glory.

Context for their subscription:

The subscription they have is needed to access PTU.

Evocati - super early completely bugged to high heavens version of next patch (currently 3.11.1 is in evocati) and acess to devconsole command.
Player Test Universe (PTU) - basically same as above but with most critical bugs fixed. Players have access to every ship in game and 15 000 000 aUEC to test everything. Nothing is saved between sessions.
Persistent Universe (PU) - This is where most of people "play" and what counts as published version of game. Players need to earn money, do missions etc to own new ships.

From what i know they did that because most of people treat PU as game already and they never report bugs. PTU was made to cut down player base and make only those who are willing go extra mile to use it. Evocati access is given by being one of best QA on PTU reporting bugs etc.

Aside from that it gives players access to basically free 2 ships for a month until next sub in PU and some small garbage like helms and access to more private dev talks that are not published to everyone.

Basically pay to be QA.

Perkel

Arcane
Kickstarter has proven beyond all shadow of a doubt that most publishers were in the right to crack whips and make heads roll. These jokers have nearly all taken the piss.

Isn't this the other way round ? Considering how much CIG is making... wouldn't publisher be happy and even force them to delay game ? BTW CIG made in 2020 more than in last 2 years combined and 400mln will be probably broken even faster than 300mln as more and more features of SC are coming online. It is all delayed like 2-4 years but slowly they are coming online.

I think what Chris said is probably true. Right now you can consider SC a game you can play. Buggy as shit with little content but a game no less and from now on they will be just expanding it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone right now but it would be false statement to say that i didn't have some fun with it.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Player Test Universe (PTU)
You mean the thing that most MMOs give to their players for free? Also couldn't they have just done an offline test client I mean that would've made more sense right you could just emulate a dedicated server. Tbh this reeks of Fallout First styled robbery. You shouldn't have to pay for a dedicated server. It's implied the host is already paying to host it to begin with. You make your money from when they purchase your game.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Roberts: "We won't show anything on Squad 42 because it would spoil the story"

Mark Hamil dies. Calling it.
Gary Oldman Betrays you to get vengeance against the Kilrathi.
There's a character that initially bullies you but as the missions go on becomes your best friend after you repeatedly save his life.

Roberts is pedictable.

When I hear Roberts talk about their excuses "We're not satisfied with this, We need to stop communicating with the backers its a waste of time" Like what the hell by this point at least you should have a vertical slice for your backers.
Dude is so damn predictable. It feels as if he delegated too much to departments and then gets dissatisfied by the results so says "NO DO IT AGAIN BUT BETTER!" because he keeps going on about how he's tired of discussions and just wants it done to the best quality possible.
He sounds like a manager from hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom