Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like their cloud tech will be implemented to other planets earlier. That is Microtech with new clouds in tweet about coming expo on microtech in 3.15.1 or it could be just a tease for 3.16

also Easy Anti-Cheat Coming in Alpha 3.15.1

c9rj841nwsx71.jpg

Myobi

Liturgist
"cloud tech", "microtech" n "elevator control panel tech" sums up half of the content update posts about this fucking thing.

"cloud tech", "microtech" n "elevator control panel tech" sums up half of the content update posts about this fucking thing.
Those are all sub-techs of the only actual tech CIG has. Their Bullshitting tech is top notch. Best in the business. They make it sound like their struggles to implement tech that's been working for 20 years aren't due to complete ineptitude, but because they're inventing new things that just happen to look like old existing things, except they also don't work.

Myobi

Liturgist

Those are all sub-techs of the only actual tech CIG has. Their Bullshitting tech is top notch. Best in the business. They make it sound like their struggles to implement tech that's been working for 20 years aren't due to complete ineptitude, but because they're inventing new things that just happen to look like old existing things, except they also don't work.

The money printing tech seems to works just fine.

Tiger

Learned
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...oper-plans-1000-person-manchester-mega-studio

Star Citizen developer plans 1000-person Manchester mega studio

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 developer Cloud Imperium Games plans to open a huge new studio in Manchester, making it one of the UK's largest development houses.

The new office is set to open in May 2022 and rehouse the company's current 400-person team based nearby in Wilmslow, before quickly and dramatically expanding.

A five-year plan will see 700 people fill the building by 2023, before further growth to an eye-opening team size of 1000 by 2026.

Myobi

Liturgist
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...oper-plans-1000-person-manchester-mega-studio

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 developer Cloud Imperium Games plans to open a huge new studio in Manchester, making it one of the UK's largest development houses.

The new office is set to open in May 2022 and rehouse the company's current 400-person team based nearby in Wilmslow, before quickly and dramatically expanding.

A five-year plan will see 700 people fill the building by 2023, before further growth to an eye-opening team size of 1000 by 2026.

Humm, I often see people shoving off years of development time because the company “had to start from nothing!”, I wonder if we can all agree that 2022 is actually going to be the year that Star Citizen will actually start being developed on, since “UK’s largest development house” sounds fairly good for an small indie company.

Perkel

Arcane
3.15 will be live today. 3.15 is apparently live for all people, will be testing tonight.

Main features are in trailer but imho the biggest feature not shown in trailer is server crash recovery. So if you were doing something in game and server crashed you would lose cargo or whatever you had on your ship. Now you just relogin and your ship will have what it had before.

In other news they published Q&A on Server Meshing and they officially declared that Persistent Streaming is targeting Q1/Q2 of 2022 while Server Meshing Q3/Q4 2022 and will come with Pyro system as 4.0 version. Obviously CIG made in past a lot of promises but for past 2 years they never wanted to talk about any time ETA because of those broken promises so this might mean they actually do think they can release it then.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
I'd say mid-2014 is the "start date" if we're being reasonable by their hiring. What makes this a really unconventional project is that they had no idea it would crowdfund in the hundreds of millions versus a publisher giving you a firm 100-150M number to work with from the beginning which is a vastly different dynamic. I still think they're on track to have something stable, user-friendly, extremely replayable from an emergent gameplay perspective and have the ability to do some sort of "soft launch" without wipes in mid to late 2023-2024. I'm still expecting SQ42 to come together in the not-too-distant future as well since Chris Roberts moved over to the UK to focus on that and the roadmaps are practically shared between both games at this point. Not even going to use the pandemic as a cope because their development was already optimized for "remote work" between the 5 or 6 studios they already had in 2019.

If by-the-numbers shit like The Old Republic and The Elder Scrolls Online can take 7-8 years, why can't Star Citizen take ten? Also that 3.15 video was cool as fuck.

Myobi

Liturgist
I'd say mid-2014 is the "start date" if we're being reasonable by their hiring. What makes this a really unconventional project is that they had no idea it would crowdfund in the hundreds of millions versus a publisher giving you a firm 100-150M number to work with from the beginning which is a vastly different dynamic. I still think they're on track to have something stable, user-friendly, extremely replayable from an emergent gameplay perspective and have the ability to do some sort of "soft launch" without wipes in mid to late 2023-2024. I'm still expecting SQ42 to come together in the not-too-distant future as well since Chris Roberts moved over to the UK to focus on that and the roadmaps are practically shared between both games at this point. Not even going to use the pandemic as a cope because their development was already optimized for "remote work" between the 5 or 6 studios they already had in 2019.

If by-the-numbers shit like The Old Republic and The Elder Scrolls Online can take 7-8 years, why can't Star Citizen take ten? Also that 3.15 video was cool as fuck.

So…according to you the development started in the same year that CiG had originally planned to release the game, what an amazing coincidence.

Pre-production of Star Citizen began in 2010[56] with production starting in 2011 using CryEngine 3.[57][58] Several contractors and outsourced development companies such as CGBot, Rmory, VoidAlpha and Behaviour Interactive were hired to build an early prototype of the game and concept art. The goal of the prototype was to gain outside investment, but following the success for the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter campaign, Roberts decided to crowdfund the game instead. After hiring Ortwin Freyermuth, Ben Lesnick, and David Swofford, Cloud Imperium Games was formed with the intention of building the initial campaign.[59][60] Star Citizen was officially announced at GDC on October 10, 2012, during which the website they had built for the campaign crashed.[61] Following the GDC presentation, the company announced a Kickstarter campaign on October 18, 2012.[3]

… for all I care Star Citizen can take 20, 30, 40 years! Fuck, I hope papa Chris & Sandi have a fuck ton of kids, so that their kids’ children may hopefully finish this fucking thing. I just find it amusing, that after all these years and cash thrown at it, with a bazillion studios working on it, the “game” still consists in one unfinished solar system where you get to explore and enjoy the unfinished base systems & game loops as long as the floor stops vanishing from under your feet and throwing you to your death.

Good stuff.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok i tried new patch for a while.

Massive FPS improvement is the first thing that i noticed. I choose my home as Lorville and previously on my GTX1080 i would get around 20-30fps in lorville depending on where i was @ 1080p. @1440p it was like 10-25fps and @ 4k it was like 5-10fps. Now i get around 30-50fps in lorville @ 1080, 25-45fps @ 1440p and the biggest imrovement goes to 4k which is now "playble" on my rig as i get around 20-35fps. Those are minimum 50% improvements and in case of 4k around 300%.

Cities are the worst case scenario for SC so those framerates should be even better outside of them.

CIG said that in 3.15 they partially implemented Gen12 renderer and whole thing will come with 3.16 or 3.17. Aside from that there is vulcan coming around the same time which should improve CPU performance massively.

zapotec

Liturgist

Oh i get it, he is making a jpeg factory. Genius

Perkel

Arcane
just woke up. 3.15 is live and installing.

are you using this thread as a personal journal you keep while you plunge in the wonderful world of Star Citizen and bask in its glory?

Yes.

Further testing, All inventory lag was completely removed in 3.15. Equip/de-equip of everything is instant, picking up items from ground and stowing items is also instant with 0 lag. Now doing hand mining is actually quite fun, previously you spent shitload of time picking up crystals which made it very unprofitable. Now you can earn decent amount by doing hand mining. I guess this should also improve a lot ground vehicle mining since that also was buggy and laggy.

Ship stow, claim, unstow is also instant without that weird lag where you clicked something at it took from few seconds to dozens of seconds to acknowledge that you did something. Same with Ship equip. Everything is now snappy.

Inventory UI could get some better design. Right now if you are in city everything in your "house" is basically piled up in one grid menu Ultima style. On other hand on ships you can use now storage spaces to put stuff into their own respective places. I am guessing until proper player housing/renting is in place that UI won't change much.

Another thing. Now when you log out via bed, you ship position is saved relative to place you were instead of system. Which means that if you log out near hurston planet when you log in you will be back near that hurston planet instead of deep space because planet in that time moved when you were out of game. This should work also on surfaces but i didn't test it. I will test it.

bugs:

- constant tripping. Just walking around, running, in caves on ships.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Oh i get it, he is making a jpeg factory. Genius

Maybe he is building real space ships ?

1:1 anvil hornet. only $150k

We all know this is going to end up NFT. Then all the early backers with their $20,000 ships will sell them for millions. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW! STONKS! IN ROBBERTS WE TRUST.

Just pointing out they did it first. Garriot was too early for the NFT fad he missed out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom