Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Someone pls sticky this to the first post of the thread so the Codex is ready when Roberts announces he's run out of money and shutting production down.

Even the lives of potatoes have value. Just because you blew your life's savings on ship jpegs and will need to suck dicks at a truck stop to afford a hamburger does not make your life not worth living.

List of suicide crisis lines by country

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Dumb question:

Is there any chance that they are exaggerating how much crowdfunding money they have raised as a form of "social proof"?

If I had to guess, I wouldn't have thought space sims would be popular enough to raise this much money.

Last edited:

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Dumb question:

Is there any chance that they are exaggerating how much crowdfunding money they have raised as a form of "social proof"?

If I had to guess, I wouldn't have though space sims would be popular enough to raise this much money.
not about popularity, but how deep the pockets of the whales can go.

Myobi

Liturgist
Dumb question:

If I had to guess, I wouldn't have thought space sims would be popular enough to raise this much money.

Is there a chance that a company that was caught lying and deciving it's community for a profit multiple times in the past 10 years to be lying about its financial status in order to provide a false sense of security? Nha dude, don't be crazy! Just go buy yourself an Idris n enjoy the coffee tech!

Delterius

Arcane
Dumb question:

no chance. that's a technology patented by elon musk and roberts wouldn't dare mess with tesla.

Old Hans

Arcane
Dumb question:

If I had to guess, I wouldn't have though space sims would be popular enough to raise this much money.
not about popularity, but how deep the pockets of the whales can go.
and these guys are on a different level. the kind of rich weird nerds who design their living room to look like the USS enterprise bridge

Perkel

Arcane
Dumb question:

No because all companies under UK law (CIG is UK company) must state publicly their results. And so far they are spending yearly pretty much the amount they would get from crowdfunding. They are even operating slightly in red, meaning they spend more money that they got from crowdfunding which is explained by additional non public investement money they got from other sources over the years.

2020:

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-financials-for-2020

209aa95282f7409998a7b79bbb3738c0.jpg

005225bd3fb441ec863c037114c716b9.png

706d3d28d64e45f292c171d97630135b.png

Gargaune

Magister
3.17 is awesome. Keep doubling down you
decline.png
enabling bitches.
Here, snort these grains of sandworm shit and take a trip with me down potential future lane. The year is 2026 +/- 2 and macrotransaction yields have diminished to the point they no longer justify the hassle. Roberts puts the screws to his devs to wrap up the bare minimum shippable product, just enough to provide plausible deniability before the backer hordes, and releases Star Citizen. This glorified tech demo is a jumble of polished, over-engineered minutiae, half-arsed implementations and an overall vacuous gameplay loop operating under the perennial cover of "you can do anything, so make your own fun!" It is in such a state that Cyberpunk 2077 jokes altogether disappear from the Codex, stripped of all mirth and purpose in comparison. Sean Murray announces No Man's Sky 2: More Sky, but is shut down when public outrage over Star Citizen forces the UN to declare that only Todd Howard may develop space games going forward.

Some Star Citizen backers persist in denial, telling themselves those $3000 space ships were totally worth it, others cry foul and make toothless threats involving internet lawyers, and Roberts gives precisely two-and-a-half shits because he's fulfilled all his obligations regardless. He then proceeds to sell or license CIG's netcode developments along with whatever other bits and bobs of worthwhile technology the company's created over the years.

At last, Roberts saddles his yacht and sets sail into the sunset, accompanied by his wife and the Mark Hamil clone you've all helped him fund, and lives happily ever after. A .JPG-perfect ending. Then Sean Murray changes his name to Todd Howard.

Myobi

Liturgist
Lol! "Those 3000$", oh my sweet summer child... some of these mother fuckers wake up and go to work every morning so that at the end of the day they can give the money to Roberts in exchange for some JPGs.

There is a reason they are pricing dumb shit at 40,000$, because people like AlexanderDeRetard will pay for it if given the chance.

Beowulf

Arcane
I think I paid for the cheapest tier on their KS. What was it - 25$? 35$?

But I still feel cheated.

That which sleeps set an example of early access done right - free quality entertainment.
Scam Citizen is not as fun and even bigger vaporware.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm only in for $90 but I'm bound to go higher if I have to see you seethe like a little bitch every time this thread gets bumped until 2025.
Seriously, I'm certain that's a joke, but where you're at right now, if you get a game you enjoy, great, if you don't, well you've only wasted 1.5 AAA games' worth, ain't the end of the world. A proper videogame should be satisfying to play with the base entry price but if you need to buy additional spaceships to enjoy yourself, you're looking at a "pay to win" skinner box and you should ask yourself whether that's something you want in your life. Now for anyone looking at Star Citizen as a speculative investment, well... that's a whole other regulatory ballgame and I'm not qualified to give financial advice.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Switched off what was going on with Star Citizen for a long time, then checked the "funding goals" page. I kept doing that thing where you assume that they're Europeans and using a comma instead of a dot to indicate decimals but no: it's all in whole numbers.

....christ, they have raised nearly half a billion dollars so far, and if they raise just 4 mil in a month it's a subpar month.

I begin to understand why they do not want to officially release this game - that would stop this tremendous cashflow.

zapotec

Liturgist
Switched off what was going on with Star Citizen for a long time, then checked the "funding goals" page. I kept doing that thing where you assume that they're Europeans and using a comma instead of a dot to indicate decimals but no: it's all in whole numbers.

....christ, they have raised nearly half a billion dollars so far, and if they raise just 4 mil in a month it's a subpar month.

I begin to understand why they do not want to officially release this game - that would stop this tremendous cashflow.

OHhh finally somebody that got it

Myobi

Liturgist

OHhh finally somebody that got it

Lol! “Finally”, yeah thank fucking god we had Scooby-Doo here to solve that fucking mystery.

*quick thread search* Oh, hold up...

I wonder if actually finishing the game will be less profitable than maintaining the current status quo of eternal alpha.

No wonder they need 100 years to finish it.
It's taking them years to finish because it's more profitable for them to keep the game in perpetual development than to release a finished product.

All their bullshit promises are just that, bullshit. Roberts and company are just scammers selling pipe dreams to gullible retards.

The devs aren't stupid. Not releasing the game is the most profitable thing they can do.

It’s a group of several hundred(?) hardcore cultists who are keeping this project afloat by constantly sinking more money into this. Sure they also get some new backers here and there, but the whales is where the money‘s at.

It makes you think, though. The whales are a market segment with endless potential that has hardly been tapped. Even for a 60$ game, a single whale buying a 30,000$ ship bundle is worth 500 ordinary buyers. This roughly means that milking 10,000 whales is more profitable than having 5 million players ordinary players buy your game. Pleasing 1000 whales is more important than pleasing half a million players. Mind blowing, really.

Star Citizen might be onto something here. I see why they have zero interest in developing SQ42, which has no whale potential/allure.

Can't blame them. It's waaaaaay more profitable to wait until the buzz has died down after the release of motherfucking Grimoire. All they need to do to stay afloat is release a new ship in their cash shop every 2 months.

Don't take my word for it, but I think people might just call it common sense.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
It's funny, all these hotshot studios brandishing the "When It's Done" tagline when asked about release dates, but Star Citizen should've gone with "When You're Done." And the paypiggies clearly ain't.

But actually, I suspect there's another, secret option - "When Roberts Is Done." Let's face it, the man's in his fifties and he may decide he wants to kick back and enjoy his spoils while he can still pull off a Lambo.

One of them two, whichever comes first, and I sadly suspect the latter might be it.

Perkel

Arcane
3.17 went to Player Test Universe (PTU). So should be LIVE in around 2 weeks. It doesn't look like huge patch but gameplay wise it changes decently stuff:

- now you can buy only around 50% of items and mostly lower tier ones from shops (previously loot was completely random and you could buy anything)
- the other 50% and higher tier loot is mostly found as a loot.
- they added ability to sell loot you pickup (previously you couldn't sell stuff like armor or weapons)
- player refueling (previously only on stations). And it has some skill to it as you can damage refueling part of ship.
- first iteration of their dynamic economy system. For now only for repair, rearm and fuel. (previously prices were fixed and regardless where you did repairs it cost the same)
- mining gadgets which allow for smaller ships to mine big rocks. (previously you couldn't unless you had big mining ship)
- player status now is permanent across game sessions (previously if you were hungry or damaged and went to sleep that was erased and you were back healthy and not hungry).
- slight improvement to performance.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Dumb question:

Pretty plainly what they were betting with the initial campaign, I think. The tsunami of money transformed everything.

I backed in 2013 for the singleplayer campaign (this was before the MMO part blew up and dominated SC's identity, when SC was just going to be a relatively humble Freelancer 2.0 made in a couple years using off the shelf technology). When the servers went up at the end of 2015, I was impressed and pitched in a little extra money to upgrade from an Aurora to an Origin 300i. This was back when there was only one planet and 3 moons, so the 50 players flying around on a server bumped into each other all of the time and you actually had social interaction, emergent gameplay, people sneaking onto ships, battles, etc. Also, the game had pretty good performance.

As more and more stuff was added, the gameplay began to suck more and more. More planets, moons, and spacestations were added, so the 50 players per server were spread out across a huge star system and never really bumped into each other anymore. Stuff started breaking like NPCs and the mobiglass. It got so bad that planets like Levski and gameplay elements like racing had to be removed from the game just to keep it stable. Performance got worse and worse. And unfun systems started being added like dying of thirst, spending 24 real time hours in prison simply because a player touched your ship and died, or losing your entire inventory upon death. Now I just treat SC as a walking simulator. It really is impressive to wake up in an apartment, take the elevator down to the floor, walk around the streets, ride a bus or a train to the spaceport, go to the hanger, hop into your ship, fly over the city, fly out of atmosphere into orbit, hyperspace to a spacestation, land, go inside, and sit down at a pizza shop and eat pizza. Very immersive. If only the game was actually fun to play, which I doubt it ever will.

Disappointed that I never got the singleplayer game I was promised, but I had a ton of fun during the first few years of the MMO servers being up and that was worth the price of admission, IMO. Don't imagine I will ever drop more money on SC, though.

Myobi

Liturgist
Holy shit, its Val, welcome to the codex my dude, nice to have you here. You know, I had hopes that someone else would eventually buy SC out of Chris and manage to squeeze a decent game out of it, like Microsoft managed to do with Freelancer, but at this point I think that no company would be crazy enough to touch that Frankenstein of a project...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Someone pls sticky this to the first post of the thread so the Codex is ready when Roberts announces he's run out of money and shutting production down.

Even the lives of potatoes have value. Just because you blew your life's savings on ship jpegs and will need to suck dicks at a truck stop to afford a hamburger does not make your life not worth living.

List of suicide crisis lines by country

Ship jpgs vs monkey jpgs, which is more terrible and why? DISCUSS!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Holy shit, its Val, welcome to the codex my dude, nice to have you here. You know, I had hopes that someone else would eventually buy SC out of Chris and manage to squeeze a decent game out of it, like Microsoft managed to do with Freelancer, but at this point I think that no company would be crazy enough to touch that Frankenstein of a project...

The Freelancer team was pretty small by comparison, the Scam Citizen racket employs the population of a small island nation and spends the annual GDP of one. And they plan to add another 1000 https://nintendo-power.com/cloud-imperium-games-new-studio-with-1000-employees-for-star-citizen/ :lol:

Microsoft wouldn't take that risk, especially now that they already own basically every other game company and can just sit back and rake in the cash from the back catalog on leeloo dallas multi game pass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom